JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thanks for having me here.. im new to this site, as well as new to ... "wanting to own a firearm"

the reason i say that.. is... im now retired, in my early 60's but when i was young and dumb, i got in trouble with the law, and got 2 Class C felony's on my rap sheet... that was over 40 years ago,
so because of that.. i havent owned a gun, after hearing from someone else..that was.. talking about
expunging their record.. it gave me the idea to try it myself.. so i went thru the process..filed all the papers.. with the courts using public defenders office in portland.. and got one felony expunged... and the other.. reduced to a class A misdemeanor... (just this last week) so all this is very fresh ...
and now... i want to.. really find out.. if it worked..... maybe i'll wait a week or two.. to let the paperwork all flow thru the system to be sure.. my "felonies" have been either sealed, or renamed misdemeanors.. and than go to the gun store, and try to purchase a handgun.. i know, ive waited 40 years.. i guess i can wait another couple of weeks ...
i've heard stories of others that have had their felony reduced to a misdemeanor thru an "order to reduce" process.. and they still we unable to own a gun.. so... im very skeptical that this is going to work... for me.. and i really cant afford to go to another lawyer.. on a budget.. well, thanks again, for listening to my story.. hope my misdeads havent offended anyone here..
Smokn

All you can do is play by the rules and learn from your past mistakes. It sounds like you have been doing just that for the past few decades and that is commendable. I hope everything works out well for you and that you can find a good legal source of reference. Best of luck, and pack your patience with the bureaucrats.

thank you for the warm welcome, i hope to learn alot here, i will keep you posted on any progress i experience , or set backs as well, i just don't want to be pessimistic , and am hoping for a positive outcome,
Smokn

Welcome. I do have information for you and questions. You are more than welcome to not answer.

First, did they not inform you why, in order to restore your rights, that you need both set aside or expunged? Why did they reduce one? Because it was so long ago, push the 7 year forgiveness law (that's what I call it) that I think was taken away in the late 80's or early 90's. It basically stated after 7 years a felon with a low level felony could own a gun. Now...See if that can be honored because it was so long ago. Where I'm going with this is in Oregon, they won't care if it's reduced. It still bars a person. You're in a weird grey area...I'm still curious as to the reduction and why it didn't get expunged, too.

As you go along with this, you can always call osp's record department. Ask for the person who handles expungements.

Welcome. I do have information for you and questions. You are more than welcome to not answer.

First, did they not inform you why, in order to restore your rights, that you need both set aside or expunged? Why did they reduce one? Because it was so long ago, push the 7 year forgiveness law (that's what I call it) that I think was taken away in the late 80's or early 90's. It basically stated after 7 years a felon with a low level felony could own a gun. Now...See if that can be honored because it was so long ago. Where I'm going with this is in Oregon, they won't care if it's reduced. It still bars a person. You're in a weird grey area...I'm still curious as to the reduction and why it didn't get expunged, too.

As you go along with this, you can always call osp's record department. Ask for the person who handles expungements.
as i mentioned before, one was expunged, and the other reduced to a misdemeanor, the one that is expungeable .. i was found guilty of writing bad checks in the amount exceeding $250, (this was in the 70's) the other was a traffic offense... and traffic offenses can not be expunged... so i went the route of reducing it to a misdemeanor.. i had never heard of the 7 year forgiveness law.. , ill look into that.. as well, yes i agree it will be interesting to see if my rights are restored, although my public defender said, she is 100% sure it will be... i hope shes right :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top