JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know I'm asking a lot of questions and I know I can ask this on other forums. But since I trust the knowledge & responsiveness on this forum, I have (hopefully) one more basic question: what is the basic minimum amount of lumens do you guys recommend for a road emergency situation/outdoors flashlight? (Especially considering bad weather)

And so Is 200 the minimum? How about a 9mm lumen one? Is that too much or perfectly adequate? Again having no experience or knowledge about flashlights, I would love to hear what people think. Thanks again in advance for all your responses.

750 is enough to mountain bike in the dark, so it is plenty for walking around. The nice thing about when you get up into the high triple digits is the extended life on low. I'd look for something with a "low" setting that can run for at least 6-8 hours.

Also you might want to look into a high powered LED headlamp. Having both your hands free to fix a flat tire or use the outhouse at night is a lot easier than holding a flashlight in your mouth.

I have switched to all Fenix. I carry around a 500 lumen in my pocket and have a 900 lumen riding around in the truck and another by my bed.

I've pretty much gone the rechargeable route.

I look for any with a LOW of at least 400 lumins and a HIGH of 650 or better! I also switch to rechargeable Lithium batteries on every one! I have a 650 Lumin headlight with adjustable beam and that is my go to for just about every thing! Battery life is a good 3 hours on high and 6+ on low! It's made by Police/Security and was $35 at autozone on sale! Has a Cree LED in it, widely considered the benchmark of L.E.D's

@9mm guy
More info can be given if you have a price range. Sure, we can suggest brands and lumen all night long. Key points are what are you wanting of a light. Brands I have are Surefire, Streamlight, and SolarForce. Along with the trusty, well known (head buster) Mag-Lites

Seems like some of it has to do less with lumens and some with how focused the light is. My pistol light (800 lumens) casts a wide beam but doesn't project the beam as far as my rifle light (630 lumens) that is more focused and projects a narrower but longer beam. Seems like the same would go for flashlights.

@9mm guy
More info can be given if you have a price range. Sure, we can suggest brands and lumen all night long. Key points are what are you wanting of a light. Brands I have are Surefire, Streamlight, and SolarForce. Along with the trusty, well known (head buster) Mag-Lites

Great point. I'm hoping to spend no more than $50.

I really like my surefire weapon lights on my firearms.
Streamlight, I have those on my firearms as well.
SolarForce, I have many. They are right up there in quality with the Surefire G2's IMHO

Great point. I'm hoping to spend no more than $50.

+1 on the headlamps

My flashlight is an LED mini mag light in AAA. It's small. $20, waterproof and gives me plenty of light to work with.

I went to Walmart and bought the best headlamp they had at $30 maybe a little more.

Name brand but can't remember what.

Takes 2 AAA batteries and I keep 2 in the bag incase what's in it won't get the job done.

Last forever on low, will adjust in increments so you get the light and longevity you need. Plus is has red LEDs separate from them that is nice for a multitude of things.

I've resisted the headlamp for a long time and it took a few hunters I respect to convince me to even try it. It gets used more then just about anything.

After using flashlights all my life I just assumed that was my preference but trying to dress out an animal with a knife in one hand and a flashlight in the other was reason enough for me to try it.

Honestly, the new generation of LEDs just keep putting out more light and getting cheaper. For pistols I really like the TLR3-LED, it's not the cheapest light out there, but I have yet to really find anything better. I'm using it with a drop-in LiFe rechargeable CR2 battery. I'm really waiting for the CR2 equivalent LiPo batteries to be certified (these put out 4.2V on a full charge, so it might overdrive the TLR3 LED).

I have a few cartoonishly large LED lights as weapon lights, one is an amazon special "1000 lumen" light that takes an 18650, and it easily illuminates targets out to 800 yards. However it's also so bright it wipes out your night vision and will leave spots on your eyes if you are dark-acclimated.

For general use, I have a bunch of those LED glow-sticks, those provide plenty of light for night hiking once you're acclimated for it, however for detail work I usually want something in the 15-50 range. For a weapon light, I think the TLR-3 pumps out 150-200 lumens which is great for target identification or frankly scaring the crap out of them. I have a TLR-1 on my rifle, which I think is 2-300 lumens and easily lights up targets out to 300 yards through a reflex sight.

Despite the fact that we are better able to pump out more and more light as technology gets better, I'm not sure how much of it is actually improving the situation. It seems to me we're getting to the point that we can have lights that fit in your pocket that rival some of the really bright vehicle mounted lights from the past. The important thing is that battery technology for the moment is keeping up. Really LiPo or LiFe are the batteries of the future. Personally LiFe batteries are better, but they are not as popular as the LiPo batteries.

Throw and spread are important too. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I say this because In my limited experience more lumens does not necessarily mean more distance or width. One or the other probably.

what is the basic minimum amount of lumens do you guys recommend for a road emergency situation/outdoors flashlight? (Especially considering bad weather)

For this use, 200 lumens will work. It is bright enough to see what you are doing around your vehicle and the surrounding area. Most important is to have multiple settings to adjust the light for the task at hand. You don't want to use 200 lumens to read the instructions on how to put on your snow chains, it will blind you. I have lights with much more power and rarely use the higher power setting when out camping. Now, if you have a need to light up a tree or bear 100 yards away, then yes, I would go for a higher output light. While the high output lights are fun, there are not many situations where a 200 lumen light will not work.

For a vehicle light, a head lamp is king as you have both hands free to work on whatever you are doing. Your teeth will thank you for not having to bite down on the light because you need both hands to do the task at hand. A hand held and a head lamp together is the best way to go. This also applies to camping.

Last Edited:
For me, Head lights really came into there own while working on my cars and hotrods! Another thing I discovered was drift fishing just before daylight, using glow in the dark corkies, I could blast them with the light from my head light, and be able to see where to cast! Once in the water, I would switch it to low or off and fish by feel! When I got bit and was ready to land my fish, switch it on and go! Another really cool light I have been really fond of is those really small stubby flashlights that I fit to a small mount I made for my AR for night work! The same little lightthe wife and I use on out key chains! I don't remember the brand but got them off Amazon for $16 I think! Takes a single AAA battery and the life is about 3+ hours continues! Really bright too, about 250 lumins!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top