JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Here's a question for the group.

I have a very nice Ruger Security Six, 4" barrel. I Love it but I don't shoot it as much as I want but I'll never get rid of it.

I've found a matching Stainless Security Six 2 3/4" for $500 - would you purchase a second Six just because? Again I don't shoot the first one very often, but I love the hell out of that gun and I'm always running around saying 1 is none 2 is one all the freaking time ....

Just looking for input.
Thanks.

IMG_9680.JPG

other items you may already have will work.....speed loaders, holsters ect., 1 ammo to stock rather than 2 different calibers.
Familiarity
Although not like a bic lighter, where you have several and 3 different ways to make fire, duplicate firearms to me, makes sense.
BOB and truck bag, can be typical/stocked the same.
I certainly like to tune..."here a 9, there a 9, everywhere a 9,....Old McDonald had a 9, EIEIO!"

This day and times, if you have the funds and the want it, go for it.

I, like you, have an affinity for Ruger revolvers. After a lot of time and effort into locating the perfect defensive gun (GP-100, stainless, full lug, 4", DAO, with FIXED sights), I tracked down a second as a backup. There are a variety of justifications (I prefer to call them reasons) such as always having a spare if one wears out (right), having the same manual of arms for my wife in multiple locations, all the same ammo and accessories work, I have two sons and one day both will need one, and lastly that I wanted one. I also tend to go overboard on items I like and this particular version is not something that I am likely to run across again without some serious amount of searching.

Regardless of all the stuff you tell yourself, practically speaking, they aren't making any more of the sixes. As FMJ said, you would have a full set of spare parts. If you have the desire and the funds, why not? Those 2 3/4" barrel ones are sexy.

I'm an enabler. Don't listen to me.

If you like it, want it, and have the $$$... get it!!!

Last year I bought another Para P14 just for nostalgia, seeing as how I can't shoot .45ACP anymore w/o lots of pain. But it's still a great possession!!!

And because I was on my phone earlier and couldn't post a pic, I had to do that now because revolvers are hot!

One of the features I wanted that was tough to come by was the double action only (DAO) function. I managed to get a good deal on a couple half lug, 4" Canadian import guns that were DAO and I was able to get the hammers swapped over to my full lug versions. Here is a picture after the swap. Not shown in the picture is the tritium front night sight I added and I eventually switched the full lug to the compact Lett style grips seen on the half lug in the picture. The second one is setup identically with slightly different grip panels from Chig's Grips (great source for some amazing Ruger grip panels, if you ask me).

GP100_DAO_Conversion_2.jpg

I've been tempted many times by the Sixes, but I can still get parts for the GP-100 and it's even more over built than the Sixes. Btw, all of my GP-100s (cuz I have 5, including a fixed sight 3" half lug) are older models with no MIM parts, although I have yet to have a problem with a MIM part on any newer SP-101.

So, having a second revolver because you like it, or any other reason, isn't quite as bad as having 5. :D;) And no, I don't plan on selling any of the 5, regardless of what other people may think.

Edit: So why the preference for full lug, you might ask. Well, even though I shoot Hornady defensive 38 special rounds out of these, the extra weight is to mitigate the recoil a bit. This setup was designed to be the simplest, easiest solution for my wife (not really a gun person) to use in an emergency. Literally, point and squeeze the trigger. If it doesn't go bang, pull the trigger again. No rear sights or hammer spurs to hang up on anything while maneuvering. No way to accidentally fire when staged in single action. The only way you are shooting is if you intend to, even without a safety. She gets one of these puppies and takes a defensive position while I grab the shotgun and secure our position or stop the threat. Gotta have a plan, man.

Last Edited:

I have a very nice Ruger Security Six, 4" barrel. I Love it but I don't shoot it as much as I want but I'll never get rid of it.

I've found a matching Stainless Security Six 2 3/4" for $500 - would you purchase a second Six just because? Again I don't shoot the first one very often, but I love the hell out of that gun and I'm always running around saying 1 is none 2 is one all the freaking time ....

Just looking for input.
Thanks.

View attachment 714827
IMO it's almost impossible for anyone else to advise you, only you can decide what to spend your $ on. Every gun owner is different and it ranges too widely. Some collect guns that are never shot (and some collect guns that can't be shot), some collect shooters, some collect every possible version of a certain gun, some don't really "collect" guns, but have shooters in each type of firearm for defense, hunting, or range shooting. Some gather guns they think may not be available in the future. And everything in between or a combination of those. It might be helpful to ask yourself something like, "what is my long range plan/strategy for gun ownership and what's most important to me?"

Last Edited:
I try to avoid exact duplicates.
But the two Rugers have different length barrels so they're not dupes.
A big un and a little un are "companion pieces", not duplicates.
And yes, that is exactly how I rationalize it.
Works for me.
Compaaaanyun piece. :s0139:

Last Edited:
I don't have a single duplicate gun...

I have multiple rem 870's but none are set up the same (20" barrel w/rifle sights vs 28" rubbed barrel with chokes etc) but that's as close as it gets for me.

I have a MK1 target Ruger and a MK3 Hunter, 1 is an inherited gun and one I built to shoot

Anyway the list goes on but for me I don't feel the need for a duplicate gun as I can only shoot one at a time and I'm familiar enough with all of them that adding stress to using them isn't going to change anything so I'm ok with a Glock, a Beretta and a 1911 as house pistols/CC options.

But that's just me and if I had money falling out of my pockets I might have a different philosophy all together so do what makes you happy:s0155:

You'll need one with a 6" barrel as well.

Then you'll need the all the same in blued steel versions.

And maybe one with an 8" barrel with a scope.

You'll probably need a backup to that as well.

They make 6 and 7 shot versions now too....

Just looking for input.
Thanks.

View attachment 714827
#1 You like the one you have= yes
#2 Obviously you have the funds.
#3 Is it a good price, I assume you think so.
#4 You can always sell it later if you change your mind.
#5 You already have ammo.
#6 You can start buying wear item parts supply for SHTF.
#7 deadeye gives his infinite wisdom approval of buying whatever you desire, except Glocks, gotta draw a line somewhere.
#8 Hey it's stainless say no more.

So what is stopping you?????

I like to have a duplicate of my carry gun, just to have a backup gun i am familiar with, same ammo for, one breaks, yadda, yadda. If I change my carry, then I get a duplicate.

Thank you one and all. I wish I had the time to reply to each and every one of you but I just don't have the time right now.
Please note that I really do appreciate your replies - I found out that after July 04 they are having a sale on their used guns, $100 off all used guns.

The decision (now that the seed is set that I want it) is do I roll the dice and wait a week or get it Saturday evening -
I'm leaning toward Saturday evening - what's $100 over the rest of my life and they are a little hard to come by....

Anyhow thank you

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads