JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
a friend of mine seems to believe that if you are caught with a bullet chambered while carrying, you can be charged.

If someone has a concealed permit may they carry with a loaded round? ( as long as they arent in prohibited areas i.e courts, schools, etc)

thanks guys

I just took my conceal class a few months ago at the multnomah county sherrif and that question was asked. We were told that it doesn't matter. The teacher always carries one in the chamber. So I am pretty sure you are ok.

WA and OR permits, I carry one in the pipe all the time in either state.

But, is it legal to carry a rifle with the mag in the gun in WA or OR? I know the concealed permit makes no difference with a rifle. Was planning on carrying a rifle in my car in a case along with the mags, just don't know if I can leave the mag in the rifle or it has to be out of the gun.

Seems to me I remember that the mag can't be in the long gun. Can someone point me to the relavent laws?

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

I don't have a link to the actual laws right now, but in WA you cannot carry a loaded rifle or shotgun in a vehicle. That means a round in the chamber or in a magazine insterted in the firearm. In Oregon, either are allowed. Aw heck. I am gonna look up the law now.

In WA:
RCW 77.15.460
Loaded firearm in vehicle — Unlawful use or possession — Penalty.

(1) A person is guilty of unlawful possession of a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle if:

(a) The person carries, transports, conveys, possesses, or controls a rifle or shotgun in or on a motor vehicle; and

(b) The rifle or shotgun contains shells or cartridges in the magazine or chamber, or is a muzzle-loading firearm that is loaded and capped or primed.

(2) A person is guilty of unlawful use of a loaded firearm if the person negligently shoots a firearm from, across, or along the maintained portion of a public highway.

(3) Unlawful possession of a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle or unlawful use of a loaded firearm is a misdemeanor.

(4) This section does not apply if the person:

(a) Is a law enforcement officer who is authorized to carry a firearm and is on duty within the officer's respective jurisdiction;

(b) Possesses a disabled hunter's permit as provided by RCW 77.32.237 and complies with all rules of the department concerning hunting by persons with disabilities.

(5) For purposes of this section, a firearm shall not be considered loaded if the detachable clip or magazine is not inserted in or attached to the firearm.

In Oregon: Ok, I got tired of looking for it. I bore easily I guess. Maybe someone can help me out with the aplicable Oregon law.

LOL! Ask the Gi's in the sand box, that is the new rule of engagement, chamber must be empty. Talk about allowing our Military Men to be killed with these stupip f'n rules!

Absolutely right. When I was in the sandbox, and was required to carry a concealed weapon when traveling off post in civilian clothes, we were forbidden from carrying our M9's with a round in the chamber. Never had to use it, but I always had that in the back of my mind. Of course it was the officers who were the ones having the ND's!

I don't have a link to the actual laws right now, but in WA you cannot carry a loaded rifle or shotgun in a vehicle. That means a round in the chamber or in a magazine insterted in the firearm. In Oregon, either are allowed. Aw heck. I am gonna look up the law now.

In WA:
RCW 77.15.460
Loaded firearm in vehicle — Unlawful use or possession — Penalty.

(1) A person is guilty of unlawful possession of a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle if:

(a) The person carries, transports, conveys, possesses, or controls a rifle or shotgun in or on a motor vehicle; and

(b) The rifle or shotgun contains shells or cartridges in the magazine or chamber, or is a muzzle-loading firearm that is loaded and capped or primed.

(2) A person is guilty of unlawful use of a loaded firearm if the person negligently shoots a firearm from, across, or along the maintained portion of a public highway.

(3) Unlawful possession of a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle or unlawful use of a loaded firearm is a misdemeanor.

(4) This section does not apply if the person:

(a) Is a law enforcement officer who is authorized to carry a firearm and is on duty within the officer's respective jurisdiction;

(b) Possesses a disabled hunter's permit as provided by RCW 77.32.237 and complies with all rules of the department concerning hunting by persons with disabilities.

(5) For purposes of this section, a firearm shall not be considered loaded if the detachable clip or magazine is not inserted in or attached to the firearm.

In Oregon: Ok, I got tired of looking for it. I bore easily I guess. Maybe someone can help me out with the aplicable Oregon law.

now if someone can post the OR cite or at least the area in the statutes to start looking. Sounds like I can carry the long gun (KelTec SU-16C) with the loaded mags out of the well with no trouble.

a friend of mine seems to believe that if you are caught with a bullet chambered while carrying, you can be charged.

If someone has a concealed permit may they carry with a loaded round? ( as long as they arent in prohibited areas i.e courts, schools, etc)

thanks guys

Ok people buy the book "understanding Oregon Gun Laws"
by Kevin starrett

you will find your answers there.

"prohibited areas i.e courts, schools,"
look up what it says about schools.You will be educated as to what is
correct.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT