JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wife and I were in Seattle visiting her family for Christmas. Unfortunately, I had to abandon the family on Christmas eve and drive five hours to take care of an essential work obligation. I'd had a wonderful time visiting with the family and was disappointed about cutting my vacation short. I said my goodbyes, loaded my car with what I needed, and prepared to hit the road. My father-in-law stopped me on the way out, and said he had a Christmas present for me to open the next day. Out came a large flat wrapped box. We're both gun guys, and have given firearms to one another as gifts several times over the years. I figured he'd gotten me something that goes bang and that was enough to cheer me right up. I put the box in the car and took off for home.

I took care of what I needed to at work this morning and headed home to an empty house. I knew my wife and kiddo were having a good time so I wasn't feeling very bad about my predicament. I poured myself a glass of Christmas libation, called all of my family to wish everyone a merry Christmas, and then set my sights on the mystery box from my father in law.

With all the tragic craziness that has gone on recently I figured it contained something I might not be able to get my hands on in the near future. Boy, was I mistaken. Christmas wrap removed, I was facing a nondescript hand made wooden box with ornate brass hardware. I suddenly felt like a little kid on Christmas morning. I haven't felt that way in a long time, believe you that. I took a sip from my beverage and just savored that feeling for a couple of minutes.

When I finally worked the latches and lifted the lid, I honestly sat stunned at what I was looking at for a while. I own more than my share of firearms, but none as beautiful as what I was looking at. My father-in-law's brother had fashioned me one family heirloom of a kit-built muzzle loader. It's a plum browned, metal inlaid, piece of art. He then sent it to my father-in-law who built the custom box for it containing every accessory I'd need to shoot, clean, and care for it for years to come.

How do you thank a couple of guys for something like this? I have no idea. It's a labor of love that I'll be honored to pass along to my son one day, and if all goes right, he to his. This is my very first black powder gun, and it's really beyond what I have the words for. Are there prettier ones out there? Some would argue, absolutely. But, certainly not from where I'm sitting. tomorrow is going to be a very special range day.

Merry Christmas everyone.

JimmysMuzzleLoader002_zpsb15a0d37.jpg

JimmysMuzzleLoader003_zpsf7a46396.jpg

JimmysMuzzleLoader006_zpscfbe42ca.jpg

Please tell me your wife has a sister... :winkkiss: Hahaha

I have never had a black powder either, but this is a serious thing of beauty.

How to say thanks? A bottle (or 3) of their favorite libation and a hand written note of appreciation is a damn nice gesture.

Oh, that's what it is, lol. I am in the same boat as you. I have no idea what to say in situations like that. I guess using it for it's intended purpose is probably thanks enough. However, the hand written letter and a bottle of something old is a great idea.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

WOW, you are in deed a lucky man. I advise you to enjoy the company of your father-in-law while you can. My father-in-law passed away a while ago and I still miss him. He was also a hunter and gun guy so we got along very well. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

By gosh man that's a Hawkin! Sorry great line from Jeremiah Johnson. Nice gift! What caliber and what twist?

Your fortunate to live minutes away from the Gun Works in Springfield. Go over there and buy some Goex FF geniune black powder to run in that rifle. If you have any gaps in your training with that rifle, they'll help you out. Now honor this gift by using it!!!

By gosh man that's a Hawkin! Sorry great line from Jeremiah Johnson. Nice gift! What caliber and what twist?

Your fortunate to live minutes away from the Gun Works in Springfield. Go over there and buy some Goex FF geniune black powder to run in that rifle. If you have any gaps in your training with that rifle, they'll help you out. Now honor this gift by using it!!!

Thanks for the info on the Gun Works. I've driven by it, but never had a reason to stop in. I suppose I have a great reason now. I'll head over there this weekend to pick up a pound or two of Goex FF to try out. I took the rifle to the range today and gave it a test drive. It was printing impressive groups at 50 yards with an 80 grain charge. I'll do some load development soon and figure out what it likes the best. It still tickles me pink every time I open the box.

Awesome. Check the rifling twist to determine if the barrel is designed for conical or patched balls. If you shoot the projectile which it is designed for you'll discover more consistent results.

Awesome. Check the rifling twist to determine if the barrel is designed for conical or patched balls. If you shoot the projectile which it is designed for you'll discover more consistent results.

It has a 1 in 60 twist and is designed for patched balls. Are there accurate conical bullets I can use through this rifle for hunting applications, or should I stick with lead balls for hunting?

A stunning gift indeed! You may need a new hidden gun room to house that beauty.

Remember if it does not go off when you pull the trigger, never, never look down the barrel! Darn black powder can be tricky.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top