JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They made one very close, 77MKII Compact. My wife's is in 7mm-08. Great little rifle, although the Timney trigger I put in it didn't hurt. :)
Ruger dealer friend of mine that has passed on wanted a MKII Compact in .250 Savage with sights.
So, he took an International (full stock, Mannlicher style) and put it in what I believe is a Compact stock (the black forend cap sort of throws me: pics of a Compact don't show it).???

The original International stock was for sale in his shop for quite awhile, and now that he's gone (and it being a .250-3000), I ended up with the rifle and sure wish I knew what happened to that stock...

....because I prefer the Mannlicher.

But the "Rare, Uncatalogued Ruger M77 MKII Compact RS in .250-3000" (as he would tell people it was) kinda grows on ya.

1719344008519.jpeg

I had one of the Ruger RL in 257 Roberts. - ended up with a good friend. Nice walking rifle. Had a Vari X 2 2-7 on it. Made his day. Just got done rebarreling a 1903a3 in 257 Roberts.Those little Ruger RLs sure make nice rifles.

I had one of the Ruger RL in 257 Roberts. - ended up with a good friend. Nice walking rifle. Had a Vari X 2 2-7 on it. Made his day. Just got done rebarreling a 1903a3 in 257 Roberts.Those little Ruger RLs sure make nice rifles.
Wow, I had a compact Ruger 77 in 257 Roberts also a Leupold 2x7 scope that I sold several years ago. Complete seller's remorse.

1719353710969.jpeg

If I were to use a modern rifle for hunting...
It would be my Savage 19 / 33 NRA Match rifle in .22LR
Circa 1946..

For a "match" rifle it carries very nicely ...shoots nicely too.
And since I mostly hunt small game and grouse nowadays...it would work just fine.
( I have a hunch..it would also work for other things... )

Cartridge of choice would be CCI .22LR 36 grain Mini Mag Hollow point.
Shots in the target were at 50 yards...Fired offhand.
5 shots...with one flyer.
If ya click on the pictures...they get bigger....
Andy

IMG_3339.jpeg IMG_3340.jpeg IMG_3341.jpeg

Last Edited:
So. RL and Compact refer to the same gun, early ones had the cap?
From what I remember, the RL was a "lightweight" not a Compact. The Compact didn't come along until the 77MKII. I also believe the RL used a 20"
barrel, the Compact is an 16.5" barrel. The Compact also has shorter LOP.

The nice rifle @3MTA3 posted is a Ruger 77 (Tang safety) rifle and I believe was the beginning of the RL series.

From what I remember, the RL was a "lightweight" not a Compact. The Compact didn't come along until the 77MKII. I also believe the RL used a 20"
barrel, the Compact is an 16.5" barrel. The Compact also has shorter LOP.

The nice rifle @3MTA3 ( now revered as the Resident Expert that I so desperately needed, when did the black cap come and go?

Skin that Griz' Pilgrim, an' Ah'll gitcha 'nuther'n! :p

Edited to add: Maybe the RL always has the cap, and this is an RL stock, Not a compact?? It is standard LOP.

Upcoming Events

New Classified Ads

Back Top