JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My Ruger SR9C it both full/compact in my opinion. 10 round magazines for flush or with pinky extention for conceal carry (iwb) and 17 round magazines for target shooting and full size carry (owb).

My Ruger SR9C it both full/compact in my opinion. 10 round magazines for flush or with pinky extention for conceal carry (iwb) and 17 round magazines for target shooting and full size carry (owb).

I am sure there are some drawbacks for target shooting - shorter barrel, missing beaver tail, etc.? At least that is how it goes with M&P - the compact can take full-size 17-round magazines with extended grips on them, but ergonomically the full-size model still has the edge (as long as you do not need to carry concealed).

I've never liked GLOCK. I wouldn't own one. That being said...for the man with one gun, buy a GLOCK. There is nothing wrong with them. Nothing. They are the perfect auto pistol for most people.

Go to a gun store that has a pistol range, have rental guns & shoot what you are concidering (name brand) on buying.

I chose the XDM 40 3.8 bbl in full size 16 rounder for intruder duty at home. I also bought the same gun but in compact model for CC (10 rnd mag for carry & 16 rounders in the mag holster for back up) & love them both.
Take a paper list of the models you plan to shoot & mark them off as you shoot & decide. Good luck

"One Gun" criteria:

- compact enough for year-round CCW, which means it has to be concealable in tshirt & shorts.
- service capacity. 15+1 in 9mm, 12+1 in .40 S&W, or 10+1 in .45 ACP seem to be the standards.
- accessory rail for mounting a tac light for home defense use.
- trigger suited for combat. DAO is not good for rapid fire, and is less than ideal for called shots. DA/SA, SAO, or striker-fired pistol triggers are all suitable.

My basic list of things I'd consider would be:
Glock 19 or 23
Ruger SR compact in 9 or 40
S&W M&P compact in 9 or 40
Springfield Armory XD subcompact in 9 or 40
Beretta PX4 SC in 9 or 40
Beretta 92FS Inox Compact L (G19 sized 92FS, with a pic rail!)

While I no longer own a Glock, if I were a beginner, that's what I would probably get. Glock compacts are plenty nice to shoot and very reliable. You can find the pistol of your dreams at a later date. Until then Glocks hold their value and can serve in any number of secondary roles. Good luck with your purchase!

Glock, blech! if you gotta go with recycled pringles lids go with an fnp. Why would you go with a gun "any idiot can shoot"? what if a disgruntled idiot gets ahold of your glock?

Glock, blech! if you gotta go with recycled pringles lids go with an fnp. Why would you go with a gun "any idiot can shoot"? what if a disgruntled idiot gets ahold of your glock?

This is one of the worst arguments I see. Anyone who is proficient enough to disarm you is unlikely to be confused by a safety.

This is one of the worst arguments I see. Anyone who is proficient enough to disarm you is unlikely to be confused by a safety.

Not sure it takes much skill to grab the arm holding the pistol, especially for a male confronting a small frightened female at a point blank distance.

The external safety in that case is not going to function as a "biometric lock", but it can confuse the attacker into thinking that the pistol is unloaded / jammed / whatever, which can buy a few seconds.

Pretty funny, I saw the topic title and figured I'd comment. Scroll down and the second comment is exactly what I was going to recommend :s0155:

I know this is old, but I'll add in my two cents. I had all three sized Glocks at one point in time, however bills forced me to sell two. So logically, I sold my subcompact and full sized, I figured the compact was a good compromise for concealed carry and home defense. Well a few months later I've come to the conclusion that I would rather take the slightly bigger full sized model over the compact. I can conceal both just as well (maybe a little less during the warm summer months, but you get the idea), I would also take the longer sight radius/barrel and longer grip, making it easier to grab and shoot in an emergency situation.

That being said, a full sized isn't for everybody. For me, I don't really have to go places that require deep concealment so I will take the larger frame at the expense of concealment. I think for someone who would like a jack of all trades gun, a compact would be ideal, however for my personal tastes a full sized is ideal. Hopefully the OP has found a gun by now though!

Not sure it takes much skill to grab the arm holding the pistol, especially for a male confronting a small frightened female at a point blank distance.

The external safety in that case is not going to function as a "biometric lock", but it can confuse the attacker into thinking that the pistol is unloaded / jammed / whatever, which can buy a few seconds.

This is exactly why people who choose to carry firearms should develop skills like shooting from a retention position, shooting while moving, shooting with one hand using either hand, shooting from unconventional positions, etc.

When you're engaging somebody at contact distance, you should not brandish the firearm like you're holding a vampire at bay with a cross. One hand manages space, one hand deploys the firearm, and you are shooting with one hand as soon as the muzzle lines up with the target.

It's easier to shoot someone who is trying to disarm you than it is to disarm somebody without getting shot. This is magnified when the person with the firearm understands weapon retention.

Also... criminals aren't ninjas, SEALs, or Delta operators. They aren't trained. They are generally cowards, and are typically looking for easy targets.

If a defender doesn't understand contact distance engagements, the bigger concern is whether or not they get that firearm in play, in the first place. If they aren't already thinking about movement and space, they'll be suffering before they can draw.

This is exactly why people who choose to carry firearms should develop skills like shooting from a retention position, shooting while moving, shooting with one hand using either hand, shooting from unconventional positions, etc.

That would be ideal. However, not many people I know are working to develop those skills.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top