JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The concensus seems to be that round placement is most important. I chose for my first hand gun since the Marine Corps 50 years ago a Sig Sauer P238 with a Crimson Trace LaserGard. I have Federal Hydra-Shoks for carry. At 25' I can cover a 7 round group with my fist and do not have to see the gun sights to do it. I trust the laser as much as any other device and know for sure I could not shoot like that without it. Old eyes don't do well seeing three small white dots.

M67 mentioned what ever you get you need to get lots of magazines. I thought that was a bit strange unless he meant for convenience at the range. My thinking is if I get into a personal defence situation and need more than one magazine I am already screwed (-:

Jim

I carry a Glock-30 everyday. It's stupid accurate if you do your part, it's .45ACP you can put a 9, 10, or a 13 round Glock made mag in them... even a 27 round Korean made mag if you like.

I've carried a H&K P9S (.45AC), 1911's, 92F's, a PT145, various .357mag revolvers... and my G30 still rides with me the most... just saying.

Consided a sub-compact pistol, you don't have to be "full size, or compact".

What compact autos are you talking about?
I am talking about the compact autos I have had the opportunity to shoot owned by others and not me. Personally I have only owned two 'compact' autos - a Baby Eagle and a mod 96 Bersa .380 which for all intents and purpose should have been more accurate than it was considering it's quality. The BE accuracy was adequate however it's new owner loves it and his reported accuracy with it so for that I am glad. I am sure there is a compact auto out there I could probably shoot well but I am not going to get into a pattern of buy, try and sell if it does not work for me. I prefer the feel of a small 'J' frame styles grips over the grips of most compact autos I have held and my recently acquired Taurus 605 is a joy to shoot. It feels like an extension of my hand, almost like I am pointing my finger at the target with it. 25 yard clays are easy with it. Most compact autos I have held and shot feel clunky in my hand and this does not contribute to accuracy. Two examples of the worst I have held and shot (for ME that is) are the G-36 and a Kahr .45. If a gun is not going to be comfortable and accurate when target shooting I am certainly not going to carry it for self defense.

That said, I'm not sure what I should go for. High capacity seems to be the target with the recent legislative rumblings, so does that mean a standard, high capacity handgun is my best bet? Or with that money, is it better to get a concealed carry.

Basically my question is what kind of handgun would you buy, if you could only have one, compact or standard? And then more specifically, what would you recommend of that type?

QUOTE]

Just my 2 cents: Glock 17 or 19 (if you are thinking 9mm) now, then a Glock 26 later. The G19 is a compact and 15+1 capacity(G17 is 17+1), the G26 is a subcompact and 10+1 capacity. Because the G19 will loose its high capacity with a 10rd or less law so get it now, easier to target shoot and the G19 is a great CCW, then if you want to go smaller later get the G26 because its only a 10rd mag in it anyway so it wont change by any new law, and the extra G19 mags you'll have(we all buy extras dont we?) will fit the G26 and give your hand better grip while target shooting and more rounds in your 2nd mag while carrying. Same holds true with a SR9 and SR9c, and the XD fullsize, compact, subcompact line. I'm just saying it will be easier to go down in size if you want to later, and sell the bigger HC gun, than to go up in size to a HC gun if they've been limited to 10rds.

When Wifey and I strarted out a couple years ago I feel we went bass ackwards. We went with a small Keltec, not much fun to shoot as a beginner. My suggestion is get a full size, all steel anything. If you have average size "man hands" you'll enjoy learning how to shoot the gun, the CZ75 is an awfully nice range gun with a good price THEN, you get your compact/subcompact.

The SR9c is a pleasure to shoot with a good price, never had a FTF/FTE from mine, hand loads and factory ammo. Same with the CZ75 in .40.

Well $600 seems like more then enough to get something good and everyone's suggestions in this thread are good but let me suggest two guns for the $600.

I have a Taurus PT 24/7 Pro, good gun, 17+1 capacity but at almost 30ounces loaded I don't want that really on me and I got that for $300. Then I have a Keltec P11, 10+1 capacity, 18 ounces loaded and in very small package and they can be had for $250-$350 depending on what it comes with.

Fullsize guns seem easy to conceal in the wintertime with coats and layers but when its 102 degrees out and you want shorts and a t-shirt, just where is that 30ounce gun going to ride.

If you are planning on carrying it, then look at the compact models of full size guns. Usually they come with an extra magazine and a grip extension so you can have a larger capacity and a full grip when you want it, then you can put in the smaller magazine and have the smaller gun when you want that. It is the almost the best of both worlds. The only thing you lose is a little bit of barrel length, but that is usually not that big of a deal.

I recently was looking for a new range gun, and I ended up with the SR9c because I can carry it too. I can also put in the long mag and use it on the range all day comfortably. Heck, even with the short mag is it still comfortable all day. I liked it so much that I bought a full size SR9 to complement it, and I have carried the full size a couple of times, but the compact carries easier.

I really appreciate all the help. Here in Chehalis/Centralia, I checked out Joes and the guncase at Sunbirds...Everything is far more expensive here than when I was out of town looking. I want to buy local and not go online or go way out of town, but my $600 isn't going to go very far here.

Can anyone recommend a good shop within a hundred or so miles of Chehalis? Or is it better to look around here on the boards, and on a few of the net sites I've checked out?

Edit: There's a Wes Knodel gun show here at the fairgrounds on the 12th and 13th. I'm certainly going to go, but are my hopes of finding a good deal there pie in the sky stuff, or is there a good chance I could find something for a good price?

Get a mid range. Some that is comfortable (sub compacts are not, and not as accurate) and some you can conceal/ carry. Keep in mind you need the right holster plan on spend $50-$80 and that carrying a firearm is uncomfortable (different) for a little while.

G19 is a good choice. Find something easy to use. 9mm is cheap and fun to shoot. And regardless of what the 1911 hard ons say is enough fire power.

I'm too small to conceal carry a glock 19 well, so I bought my glock 26 first. With that said, I'd still go with a 19. It feels so much better in my hands. Both are excellent firearms. I'm actually more accurate with my 26.

@ Blaylocke OP
How experienced are you shooting hand guns?
Do you intend to carry, or is it for home defense?
Are there others who may shoot this weapon?

Goto a range that rents, talk to the manager, get a deal, rent all of them - shoot all of them.
Spending $100 there will save you having to sell the first gun you buy cause it isn't the right one

There is a good range up Puyllap-ways where my Brother is a member. I could get that information if you really want it.
PM me so I see it.

Not sure what the OP ended up buying, but for this "one gun only" situation a compact double-stack 9mm (M&P, Glock, XDM) works best. It is good at everything (but perfect at nothing).

The problem is: it is never "one gun only", no matter what you think initially :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top