Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

One gun; compact or not?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Blaylocke, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Blaylocke

Blaylocke Lewis County Active Member

I'd been wanting to buy a handgun for some time, when my stepfather bought one. In my close proximity to it, my urges faded, as I got to shoot it when I wanted, and it wasn't an issue. Like a fool, I didn't buy one months ago before the mess started, and so now I'm dead set on buying one. But the rub is that, right now, I have the money for one handgun. Six hundred is probably my max, although if the difference is drastic and I need to spend a little more, I can.

That said, I'm not sure what I should go for. High capacity seems to be the target with the recent legislative rumblings, so does that mean a standard, high capacity handgun is my best bet? Or with that money, is it better to get a concealed carry.

Basically my question is what kind of handgun would you buy, if you could only have one, compact or standard? And then more specifically, what would you recommend of that type?

I tried various different handguns, and none of them felt any more "right" than the other, so really I want opinions from all of you, on what you would do with a one time purchase, in the next couple of weeks.

2. dietrich

dietrich Portland Active Member

Glock 19

3. Cidian

Cidian Redmond, OR Member

G19 or G23. You can never go wrong with a Glock, they are reliable and a lot of aftermarket items for them. They are big enough to shoot for a prolonged period of time, but still small enough to conceal without any problems. You can still pick up the gen 3's for around 500, and the gen 4's for 550. My edc is the G23, the wife carries the G19. Just my 2cents.

Shane

4. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

keep trying more out you will find one that will feel better than the others, thats the one you will want to get

5. Mica

Mica Eugene Active Member

:thumbup:It isnt as black and white as that. There is more than one thing in finding a the right gun. There are alot of variables. That being said. 600 is more than enough for a decent pistol. If you plan to conceal you will want something smaller than a full size 1911 probably. I carry my 1911 at times and no one is the wiser. Glock 23 is my main carry, but thats just me.
    Find one that feels comfortable in your hand, If you havnt done much shooting , The 9mm might be a good caliber to start with. 45 acp is my favorite by far. However that again is just me. I would buy a semi auto for sure. Dont get hung up on High capacity. Hope this helps some. There are alot of folks here with alot more expertise than I . Im sure you will get some more good advise.

Take care and good hunting. Mica:thumbup:

6. Rix

Rix Tacoma Active Member

Yup. Shoot as many as you can before deciding.
    I personally carry a ruger sr9. It's a full size but carries easy.
    I'd rather carry a larger gun and have it to shoot a lot, than a smaller gun that doesn't shoot as nice.
    With that said...... A lot of the guns that have a slightly smaller version available, that smaller version often shoots quite nicely. (Think sr9c)

Focer and (deleted member) like this.
  7. mattdomes

mattdomes Newberg Active Member

Sig P226 or XDM 9mm

8. EZLivin

EZLivin SW of PDX Well-Known Member

I would probably say a "Glock 19" if it were one only too. Kind of odd saying that because I no longer own Glocks. But they are dependable, accurate, and not expensive, which is why I've recommended them to a friend who asked the "only one" question too. I don't think one can go wrong with a Glock 19. I like my Browning Hi Power and CZ82 quite a bit more though, so for me I would have to decide between those two.

9. hermdog2004

hermdog2004 Lacey, Wa Member

I gotta say my edc is a Glock 21. I love the pistol. The way of the fit and feel in my hands. Thats what you really gotta look out for is if the gun is comfortable and feels good in your hands. I love the g21sf.

10. speeddemon94

speeddemon94 The Rogue Well-Known Member

My EDC is an XD-45. Now, you will get as many opinions on this particular subject as there are a******s in this world, and it ultimately comes down to personal preference.

11. Solomon

Solomon Vancouver Active Member

I prefer the Glock 19 sized pistols... like the Sig P229, H&K P30, CZ P01, Walther PPQ (my current favorite), Beretta PX4 Storm Compact and so on.

Sure that subcompact or pocket pistol is easy to carry (I own both), but I sure wouldn't want that to be my only option in a gun fight.

12. Ken Todd

Ken Todd Bend, Oregon Member

If I were to buy a handgun tomorrow, and it was available, I would buy a Walther PPQ.

daoism and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Blaylocke

Blaylocke Lewis County Active Member

As far as standard sized guns went, I held and fired Glock, XDM and M&P. I liked different things about all of them. Glocks aftermarket stuff (While not practical for my uses, seeing a 33 round glip in my local gunshop is pretty cool), and the fact that everyone feels they're a well tested weapon. The XDM is flashier looking, which appeals to my 23 year old sensibilities, and I liked the way it stripped down, although it was the only weapon I actually saw pulled apart. And the M&P is my cousins sidearm with the State Patrol. I've fired it, and it seemed like a perfectly reliable handgun, although it doesn't have the pizaz the Glock or XDM does, which I'm ashamed to say I cannot banish from my mind.

By the looks of this thread, I seem to have others I need to try. Here's a question then, feel is important, but are there any handguns out there (makes, or series) that I should completely avoid? I know the Sigma was recently rebranded, and reviews seem to say it's not quite so terrible, although I know a lot of people still hate them with a passion. Any other such makes to avoid?

Also; can anyone in Washington recommend (from personal experience) a good handgun store? Cabelas is about twenty miles up the street but that place is a zoo, and I'd rather have even a modicum of a personal relationship with the folks I choose to buy it from.

14. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

As previously mentioned there are a lot of variables when finding the right gun but for me it is simple - if auto it will be a full size. If revolver I will go with a compact, 'J' frame style. Reason is I can shoot a small revolver much better than a compact auto, and almost as well as my full size autos. I have proved this to myself and my last compact auto got traded away a couple years ago

15. PiratePast40

PiratePast40 Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

I have a Ruger SR9c and highly recommend it. With both 10 and 17 round magazines it works well for concealed carry but has the larger mag for a full sized grip and extra capacity when you want it. I find it accurate and easy to shoot right out of the box. There are some trigger mods available if you want to go that route but i haven't felt the need for any mods. Ruger has a reputation for reliablilty and excellent customer service if anything should ever break or go wrong. There's also the .40 cal version available if you prefer. Crimson Trace laser works great and fits well if you want a laser.

Just my 2 cents worth since i've got one and love it.

16. PiratePast40

PiratePast40 Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

duplicate

17. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Tried a lot of different pistols (even a Glock 33), ended up with a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carr IIy. But that's a higher priced one than the OP wants. With that in mind I'd go with a Kahr P45. You can always add a CT laser too. I tried a CM9, but found I shot the P45 better.

The Taurus PT-145 works well too.

PS: I wish I'd have bought the Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II as it'll carry just as well and has a longer slide/barrel.

18. just dan

just dan PDX Active Member

I'm NOT a Glock guy. Not by a long shot. That being said, if I could only have one gun, the Glock 19 would be on the short list of what I would accept.

Sig 229, Glock 19, CZ 75, Beretta 92, Browning Hi Power. Ive carried each, liked each...
    The G19 was by far the most comfortable to carry. For some reason it sits in the safe.
    The CZ is by far my favorite to shoot & it spent 10 years as my EDC, I've put at least 15-20 thousand rounds down the barrel. zero malfunctions. Now it's my bedside and occasional carry gun. It is a heavy beast, though.

I also have an XD-S that's my EDC, love shooting it, am accurate and comfortable with it. On the negative side, it is not as proven as those above and I'd not want to be limited to 5+1 (or 7+1) of .45 if it was my only gun. I'd rather have 15+ of 9mm. For those reasons, I'd not recommend an XD-S as a one and only handgun.

my 2 cents :)

19. M67

M67 NW Oregon Active Member

As others have stated already, shoot as many makes and models as you can, so you will make the choice that is best suited for you.

Personally i prefer a full size handgun from, Sig sauer, Smith & Wesson, Browning Hi power, Colt, Springfield Armory and Walther. Glocks have a great amount of followers, but they are not my first choice.

The 9mm will be the cheapest for practice, vs .40S&W, .45Acp, .357 Sig, etc...

No matter what brand you choose, make sure to get plenty of spare magazines that are good quality.

Happy shooting!

20. saabracer23

saabracer23 Salem, oregon Member

I've owned the XDM in 9mm. Loved it, accurate and smooth. Only thing I didn't like was the fact you couldn't get parts for it if anything ever happened to it. I now own the S&W M&P 9mm pro. Again love it. The thing I like best is that it's the new Glock, so many are out there and parts should be easy to source. Plus it's a proven design. My brother owns a G22 which he is trading for a compact, a G23 I believe. He is a Glock fan and I am not. They are reliable but I couldn't get over the handle and how it fit in my hands. My wife just got a Bursa thunder .380 (walther ppk clone) from Santa. That little guy is fun to shoot!!! So I'm sure the walther ppq would be a good choice.

I prefer full size. If it were me I would go with the XDM in 9mm or the m&p in 9mm (pro version if you can find it). To me they seem to be equals as far as build quality and accuracy but I like the fact that if needed I can get parts for the Smith & Wesson.

Dan