JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A rancher friend has decided Axis deer eat too much of his hay. I counted 30 while talking to him and he ended with "Take 20 of the @#$%^&"

deaddoe.jpg

Nice... Never had one but I'm sure they are delicious. Awful lot of work for not much meat though.
I don't know, but it doesn't look like that much work for a sharp knife. Wild turkeys on the other hand, now those I find are too much trouble for the meat obtained. I quit hunting them once the kids grew up. I must admit, it was fun calling them in for the youngsters.

I haven't had one but I heard the flavor is well worth the "hassle."

Yea for sure. And I was more thinking about doing it to 20 of them not just the one :) Of course if you just got one a month for 20 months that sounds perfect. But of course, then you would get to start all over again :s0155:
I'd prefer to have at least 3 at a time. Make the work go faster, honestly. But getting rid of hides and carcasses would be the biggest hassle IMO.

I'd put in work for a bite of the backstrap.
Come on over! Today I got four and gave them away two at a time. They process one for me and keep one. Both people were very happy and one is coming back tomorrow. He was the fastest gutter I have ever seen, 50 years old and hunting deer since he was 12.

Yea for sure. And I was more thinking about doing it to 20 of them not just the one :) Of course if you just got one a month for 20 months that sounds perfect. But of course, then you would get to start all over again :s0155:
Oh heck I am not keeping them all!! See above

I'd prefer to have at least 3 at a time. Make the work go faster, honestly. But getting rid of hides and carcasses would be the biggest hassle IMO.
Yes they are butchering two at once. LOL hides and carcasses is what ranch bonepiles are

Just looking at it.. Looked more like a 40-50lb animal with 20-25lbs of meat. Hard for me to judge the size.
That one was just over 100lbs. Last month we had a buck that went 155 lbs. Never weighed how much meat. But tomorrow a friend of a friend wants me to take two to the local butcher for him. I'll post results.

I'd happily harvest a few of those.
We saw a few running around out near Estacada 5-6 years ago. I reported them to the area biologist. Then we stopped seeing them.
I would have taken them out on sight except they were on private property but it was clear they werent being farmed.

Come on over! Today I got four and gave them away two at a time. They process one for me and keep one. Both people were very happy and one is coming back tomorrow. He was the fastest gutter I have ever seen, 50 years old and hunting deer since he was 12.

Oh heck I am not keeping them all!! See above

Yes they are butchering two at once. LOL hides and carcasses is what ranch bonepiles are

That one was just over 100lbs. Last month we had a buck that went 155 lbs. Never weighed how much meat. But tomorrow a friend of a friend wants me to take two to the local butcher for him. I'll post results.
Brother, I wish I was playing in the dunes right now. Unfortunately, work has me cornered for the summer.
Perhaps some day. Thanks for the invite.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top