JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sixty seven years ago today the assault on the Japanese held island of Iwo Jima began at 0859 hrs.

The battle lasted a total of thirty five days and would result in over 45,000 casualties on both sides.

Allied losses, mostly Marines were 23,203 killed, wounded or missing in action. Of that total 4,554 were KIA.

The Japanese would suffer near 100% losses. Allied estimates placed 20,530 to 21,060 Japanese in the island. In the end only 216 of those defenders were captured, the rest died, many being buried alive in their caves and bunkers.

There were 27 Medals of Honor awarded as a result of the battle for Iwo Jima. Twenty two of those to Marines. Those 27 medals were a full 28% of ALL Medals of Honor awarded during the entire War.

Thanks for the reminder, had to pull this out of the safe and share it
Western Union Telegram March 31 1945
DEEPLY REGRET TO INFORM YOU THAT YOUR HUSBAND SERGEANT EVERETT J PIERCE USMC DIED 23 FEBRUARY 1945 OF WOUNDS RECIEVED IN ACTION AT IWO JIMA VOLCANO ISLANDS IN THE PERFORMANCE OF HIS DUTY AND SERVICE OF HIS COUNTRY. WHEN INFORMATION IS RECEIVED REGARDING BURIAL YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED. TO PREVENT POSSIBLE AID TO OUR ENEMIES DO NOT DIVULGE THE NAME OF HIS SHIP OR STATION PLEASE ACCEPT MY HEART
FELT SYMPATHY LETTER FOLLOWS AA VANDERGRIFT LIEUT GENERAL USMC

As delivered to my Grandmother, Both myself and my nefiew proudly have his name

Thanks for the reminder, had to pull this out of the safe and share it
Western Union Telegram March 31 1945
DEEPLY REGRET TO INFORM YOU THAT YOUR HUSBAND SERGEANT EVERETT J PIERCE USMC DIED 23 FEBRUARY 1945 OF WOUNDS RECIEVED IN ACTION AT IWO JIMA VOLCANO ISLANDS IN THE PERFORMANCE OF HIS DUTY AND SERVICE OF HIS COUNTRY. WHEN INFORMATION IS RECEIVED REGARDING BURIAL YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED. TO PREVENT POSSIBLE AID TO OUR ENEMIES DO NOT DIVULGE THE NAME OF HIS SHIP OR STATION PLEASE ACCEPT MY HEART
FELT SYMPATHY LETTER FOLLOWS AA VANDERGRIFT LIEUT GENERAL USMC

As delivered to my Grandmother, Both myself and my nefiew proudly have his name

Wow. You should be very proud. :s0160:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads