JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had 30 shots once...
Boy that was a lot of running down the length of the table...:eek::p:D
Andy
DSC05463.jpg

I'd love a video of you pulling a New York reload with 30 muzzle loaders.
I took part in a shoot once where :
We shot off a high platform to simulate a fort wall...
You fire one shot from your rifle then...
Randomly had some one hand you their rifle , prime or cap , then fire again...
Targets at different ranges...
Most hits out of ten target won...
Andy

We field tested a 75 round drum magazine once in a unit that I was in while in the Army...
My impressions were that it was :
Heavy..
Made the rifles and carbines , feel awkward...
Pain in the rear to load...
But...
Was great to use from a fixed position in a defensive role , or when conducting a ambush , in a offensive role.
Andy

Guess im the odd one out here, i prefer the alloy mil spec 30 rounders for my AR!
For every thing else, they take 20 rounders as standard, but i keep a few 10 rounders for prone shooting! I know folks that use a 60 round drum in their AR for ready use! Not my thing!:)

Those Brownells magazines do work well , as do MagPul...
Mostly for me , where I live and shop ( local ) 20 rounders are difficult to get.
Andy

20 round Pags are all that I use for my 300BLK pistol but my Bushmaster piston likes it some 30 rounder USGI magazines for some strange reason...o_O

although I do have some 40 rnd Pmags for SHTF home based protection.

The surge on the magazine websites appear to have settled a bit.
I was trying to get to a few, and their servers were slow. Cha-Ching!!

For the most, I like the 20 rounders, although I do have twenty (maybe more) or so 30's.
Arms Unlimited had a sale on Colt 20's awhile back. Compared to used, it was a no-think price @ $12.99/ea

Two years back I found a couple Magpul D-60's for under $100/ea. So far one has been loaded/unloaded.
The D-60's I bought, figuring eventually I'd get a bump-stock. So much for that! Both still in their boxes.

With word of the mag ban, I set out to (sensibly) get as many others I need. Thinking lower capacity, 5's & 10's were favored.
Then word of the Magpul D-50 (soon to be released) caught my attention, so I pre-ordered. I'm glad I did!!

When I opened the box, I was eyes-wide-open, due to the size of them. They're big. It loaded up fine.
At capacity it weighs in at 4.85Lbs. o_O That's some heft. Since I got them in my hands, I think WTH did I go and do that for?

OK I have a question did the court ruling in CA do anything about the nuts laws on a firearm being able to accept a detachable magazine? Cause and AR-15 with a trapped magazine is worthless no matter how many 30 rd mags you have laying around.

I have a handful of old-school, well-worn Colt 20 round magazines. They're all I ever use. I also have a Chinese drum magazine for my MAK90, but I haven't used it in probably 20 years.

How do you know it still works? :D

You know, you're right! I better take it out soon and make sure it's still functional. :)

The last time I remember using it, about 20 years ago, I had some friends over. One guy shot the old MAK90, emptied a 30 round magazine. His sister wanted to shoot it, and the only loaded magazine handy was the drum. I figured she would shoot 10 or 20 rounds and be done. Oh, no. She didn't stop pulling that trigger as fast as she could until it was empty and the handguards were smoking!

My mag-dump days were over a long time ago. It was fun when I was younger but I don't get much out of it anymore.

OK I have a question did the court ruling in CA do anything about the nuts laws on a firearm being able to accept a detachable magazine? Cause and AR-15 with a trapped magazine is worthless no matter how many 30 rd mags you have laying around.
No. You can only use detachable mags on "featureless" rifles. If you have registered assault weapons, same stupid rules apply.
Thing is, you can now fully appreciate full capacity mags in all your plastic fantastics!

Little known fact, excessive weight from >30-round mags puts excessive stress on the mag-catch lever as well as the notch in the mag, which will prematurely wear it out and/or increasethe chances of malfunctions.

Case in point, that shooter at Colorado theater incident was using a drum-type magazine on an AR and it malfunctioned. Ever notice that the military forces don't typically use >30rnd mags in their M16/M4's? AK's use a different mag-catch system design and are better suited to supporting heavier loads.
Sounds like having two points of contact for the mags was better than one. Who'd have thought. You know,; except the Russkies, Austrians, Belgians, etc. o_O

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top