JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Trust me, I LOVE mag capacity. Got my AK drums and a couple 60 rd Surefires for ARs because...Merica lol.
I want to like the Magpul D60 but just don't get it. Didn't get the Beta C either.
Can those that have them school me on any advantages over 2-30s?
Mag changes are quick, also carrying a drum doesn't seem like a positive. $20 vs $120, weight, ergonomics... seems like the neg list goes on.
Maybe I'd feel different if I could go full auto, but open to opinions that sell me. :s0003:

Little known fact, excessive weight from >30-round mags puts excessive stress on the mag-catch lever as well as the notch in the mag, which will prematurely wear it out and/or increasethe chances of malfunctions.

Case in point, that shooter at Colorado theater incident was using a drum-type magazine on an AR and it malfunctioned. Ever notice that the military forces don't typically use >30rnd mags in their M16/M4's? AK's use a different mag-catch system design and are better suited to supporting heavier loads.

Here you go Brownels has a deal for you.
100 P mags Screenshot_2019-04-04_085446.jpg

Here you go Brownels has a deal for you.
100 P mags View attachment 566029
That's more than I need and more than I paid for to get what I figured was needed. However, I appreciate the heads up!
Me too...I have both 20 and 30 round magazines , but prefer the weight and "feel" of a 20 round magazine in my AR Carbine.
Andy
I have yet to try any 20 round mags, but I like that they fit 1 box of ammo, and are easier to shoot from rest or prone... not that I do either, but I like to have options.
I might have to pick some of those Brownell mags up on of these days. Unfortunately I'm more focused on getting some mags for my pistols at the moment.

My favorite AR mags, Amend2 out of Idaho, are very hard to find in 20rd version. I guess the demand is such that they don't make very many.

I have a 5rd metal C Products mag for prone and bench rest shooting... and I rarely shoot prone... maybe when I get back out for varmint.

I just posted about this somewhere else.

Realisically I can't imagine using more than 30 rds for HD, a D60 seems unneccesary. I use 2 coupled 30s loaded to 25. I do this incase I have a serious malfunction, or the magazine is damaged, not really for the extra capacity.

I would like a D60 if giving an AR to an inexperienced shooter to watch my back, but can't justify the cost.

While I LOVE that CA people are sticking it to them buying mags by the train load, I miss the deals on happy sticks for Glocks. I keep waiting for them to get cheap again, never seems to happen. Have a hell of a lot of them but with 3 PCC's in 9mm I never seem like I have what I call "enough" :)

While I LOVE that CA people are sticking it to them buying mags by the train load, I miss the deals on happy sticks for Glocks. I keep waiting for them to get cheap again, never seems to happen. Have a hell of a lot of them but with 3 PCC's in 9mm I never seem like I have what I call "enough" :)

I am hoping the stay is held off long enough for people to start ramping production, so we go into 2020 election cycle with a surplus.

I too am glad that folks in California can now buy magazines of the more than 10 round type...Nice to see a pro-gun ruling for a change.

I would say that it is good to buy the magazines you like , when you can...after all its not like they will spoil or "go bad" just sitting in storage...:D
Andy

Well since we all thread drifted off topic I will get it back on.:D

To the OP I don't have any 60 round drums and don't see the use in them either. I have however thought about buying some just because they say I shouldn't own one or ten! IMHO I think a lot of people do just that and buy what others say they shouldn't have.

We've got a couple of the 60-round drums. Why? No reason really other than they are one of the few drums that I've used that actually worked. There's a 60-round "coffin" magazine too. Same reason, just because, and it works. Fill a particular need or niche? Nope, just thought it might be fun.

I know the guys on In Range TV stated more than once that the 60-round drums helped them in competition. Could be, and I have no reason to disbelieve them, but I don't currently participate in any matches.

Truth be told, I prefer the 20-rounders in the AR. Lighter, more compact, easier to load, less expensive, and plenty of capacity for the shooting we do. Bottom line, as far as I am concerned, if you've covered the bases, and are having fun, no reason to over think it. :)

Why?

Because instead of dropping the mag to put a new one in, I can keep goingpew pew pew a bit longer.

They are tons of fun when combined with binary triggers and or that plastic thing that we know longer speak of, may it Rest In Peace.

I miss the bumpsaws of this world.

Well since we all thread drifted off topic I will get it back on.:D

To the OP I don't have any 60 round drums and don't see the use in them either. I have however thought about buying some just because they say I shouldn't own one or ten! IMHO I think a lot of people do just that and buy what others say they shouldn't have.
I have one 60 round Magpul drum mag
It was on sale so I bought it.
It's not worth the time to reload it after it's empty.
They are a pain in @$$ to load

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top