JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If they are going that far for salmon, its not a great sign. During a good season, you could get a limit of kings by running straight out to about 180 feet of water in the AM and then run back and get your limit of coho in 50 feet of water just outside the bar. Pull crab pots and head in by early afternoon.
That kinda Fishing hasn't been around for some time. A Friend was down to the Locks in Seattle a couple of days ago and saw 4 Sea Lions and several Salmon going(or trying to go) through the Fish Ladder without Their Stomachs!!! The WA Rivers are EVEN Worse!!!:mad::mad::mad:

That kinda Fishing hasn't been around for some time. A Friend was down to the Locks in Seattle a couple of days ago and saw 4 Sea Lions and several Salmon going(or trying to go) through the Fish Ladder without Their Stomachs!!! The WA Rivers are EVEN Worse!!!:mad::mad::mad:

2014 was my last good season on the ocean. Sold my boat a couple years later because I couldn't justify the payments with the seasons being cut to nothing. Charters are actually cheaper and less hassle for how little you can actually get out.

Nope, not a puker at all. We have a few so far though lol.

120 rockfish on the boat in 45 minutes.

View attachment 600329 View attachment 600330

Those don't look like salmon!!!

10 miles out. Thank you Verizon! :D

When da wifey and I went on the Inland Passage cruise, Verizon was the only provider with coverage.

Did I mention the best part? This trip isn't costing me a dime! Well, gas I guess but even still! :cool::)

I'm jealous!!!

Carpe Diem. :cool:

No Carpe in those waters!!

If they are going that far for salmon, its not a great sign. During a good season, you could get a limit of kings by running straight out to about 180 feet of water in the AM and then run back and get your limit of coho in 50 feet of water just outside the bar. Pull crab pots and head in by early afternoon.

That's the way it should be! Ah, I long for the good old days of when I lived in Brookings, 1987-1993

$225 for a party boat fishing trip is obscene! My buddies and I had a private charter in Cabo to fish for Marlin and tuna (yellowtail and yellowfin), dorado, etc, for $300 the entire day. Split between 3 people, that was $100 apiece... with a $100tip for the captain and a $100 tip for the crew, also split 3 ways, and we gave them the marlin for their families to eat. Marlin is not especially tasty, but it does feed a family. The second Marlin we released. Kept all the dorado and tuna and found a place that made us as much sushi as we could eat out of our catch for $17 each, sake not included.

bbbass;

Just how long ago was your Marlin Trip? What did the rest of the Trip cost? Westport is a Local drive and a night in the 'Filthy Beast' -- our MoJo -- or maybe a Motel for a night or weekend.cost

KKG:)

bbbass;

Just how long ago was your Marlin Trip? What did the rest of the Trip cost? Westport is a Local drive and a night in the 'Filthy Beast' -- our MoJo -- or maybe a Motel for a night or weekend.cost

KKG:)

I don't remember what year. Is it more for a boat in Cabo now??? (Just checked, it's $599 for a 30' Luhrs, so the price has doubled) $225 still seems outrageous for a day trip /person on a party boat. Last time I knew, it was $75 for a party boat salmon trip and $50 for half day. I guess I've slept since then.

Yeah, the trip cost me $275 each for wife and I for airfare. We stayed with a friend for free as part of the Military Vacation Club... $100 for the entire condo for a week and he didn't want anything from us for the cost. The overall cost was a pretty cheap vacation for two... fishing trips only a small part of the vacay but very enjoyable! We went to Cabo twice via air travel, once via cruise that I gifted my parents after a good year for my biz, and we went to Acapulco once via air. All good trips, cept in Acapulco the timing was wrong for marlin and we caught a few sailfish, which are smaller but good fighters, and the wife got flu on the cruise and was in the cabin for days.

I got one silver so far. A few other guys did too. One king. A few shakers and some that weren't keepers. It's not great but I got at least the one and a pile of rockfish so it's all good. We'll see how the second half goes. :)

Wish I could go out and enjoy that... last time I went out in the ocean I puked so hard I lost my voice for about two days.

Looks like a ton of fun tho! :)

It all go back to the idea of:

"Even a Bad Day Fishing is BETTER than your Worst Day Doing ANYTHING Else"

Me; I'm currently Stuck(Medicare SUCKS) in a Rehabilitation Facility until Tuesday, because Medicare stops paying at Midnight Monday, but I can't even leave for a Visit with the Friends who came from Michigan for a few hours because the Facility is afraid I simply wouldn't come back! Now, that would be a REAL pile of $$$ Dollars out of their Pockets and of course they can't have that! I just wish I could afford the Court Fight!

The Best advise I can give you is even if it isn't Life Threatening have the EMTs turn on the Lights and Sirens, taking you to the Hospital!!! If the Dr.(PA in my case) says Rehab, then you are trapped or Medicare doesn't pay! If you go the Slow & Quiet way you simply are stuck for extra days. I have a Non-Surgery broken Tibia and have been in Hospital/Rehab since the 4th of July. Finally saw the Doctor yesterday and he didn't say 5 words to me. I won't be coming back to Providence Hospital/Rehab:mad::mad::mad: in Everett Washington. Even if it means going to the VA in Seattle.

Damn that looks fun.

I did a fishing trip out of Depot Bay a few years ago and got super sick so I've avoided these types of things since.

They are super enjoyable trips though. Last time I was on one we fished rock, halibut, and crab. Even though I got sick I still got one good size halibut and my split of the crab.

Hope you go home full of fish!

I still caught my limit of rock bass and a nice 9lb ling (only one on the boat that day)... ;)

I was a puker most of my life. In San Diego, my dad owned a 28' offshore boat. We went south out of the bay. Me not doing too well in back where the diesel fumes were... then my wonderful brother came to the stern smoking a fat Garcia y Vega cigar.... blech!!! For the rest of the day. Thought I was gonna die, wanted to die! But dad wouldn't turn back, oh no, once on the water we stay on the water, get over it!!

Years later I had moved to Brookings. Bought an 18' runabout that was fine on the water in calm seas. Wanted to go out a bit further and troll for salmon, both coho and chinook, so my boss told me of the trick of soda crackers and beer. Of course, I didn't believe him.... but he took me out on his boat, and it worked. Over the next few years, I totally retrained my middle ear to the point where Marlin trips far out of Cabo were not only doable, but enjoyable. Next time you want to go, try beer and soda crackers!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top