JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You know, there was a thread banned this morning on this site. Because some are too sensitive to discuss the reality of the real world isn't a good reason to stifle free speech. Reminds me of the people who use their own definition of hate speech to do that. People with an open mind should be able to handle it without hiding behind "the rules".

Herb g, that thread was chock full of anti-Semitic crud couched as anti-Communist. And it was pro-Nazi. And yeah, there are people that are sensitive to both. PM me if you need more info on what was really going on with it since it wasn't very obvious until the "David Duke" comment.

bb

We (gun owners) as a percentage, are definitely a minority and an increasingly small minority.

In a society that ignores the principle of individual rights when a given right or minority is unpopular, that means we will increasingly see more infringements on our rights.

The best we can do is slow that process down. :(

Herb g, that thread was chock full of anti-Semitic crud couched as anti-Communist. And it was pro-Nazi. And yeah, there are people that are sensitive to both. PM me if you need more info on what was really going on with it since it wasn't very obvious until the "David Duke" comment.

bb
There was another thread (my attempt at satire) deleted the other day. It worries me that we are becoming more like the left. "Being offended doesn't make you right"
It's a private venue and their prerogative but I would hope it doesn't become another PC bastion for one sided view points.

There was another thread (my attempt at satire) deleted the other day. It worries me that we are becoming more like the left. "Being offended doesn't make you right"
It's a private venue and their prerogative but I would hope it doesn't become another PC bastion for one sided view points.

Sooooo, it's ok for anti-Semitism and white supremacy to be slyly inserted into our discussions? That's what you want protected? That's the face our prominent group of gun owners is going to show the nation?

so many excellent points in this thread, many mirror my thoughts as I formulate what I intend to write to the Stare legislators- to try and convey the facts to those who hold the power to make the laws that will affect us ...

I URGE EVERYONE TO NOT ONLY READ AND WRITE WITHIN THIS FORUM

BUT TAKE THE TIME TO WRITE OREGON LEGISLATORS

They are the ones that need to hear common sense thinking and know there many who feel as we do

tnx

News media makes this possible. Social media propagates it. If news media just kept to the facts and did not sensationalize these acts, there would be fewer acts because there would be less sensational news. The problem started to increase as news media became about sensationalism. It took off even more with social media.

There is evidence that what you say is true.

Studies indicate that the more media attention a shooter gets, the more likely the event will inspire a future mass shooter. For example, a 2015 study found that after a mass shooting, there was an increased chance of another one occurring in the next 13 days.[7] A 2017 study found that media coverage of a mass shooting may increase the frequency and lethality of future shootings, but the contagion period might not be within the first two weeks, but instead might inspire the frequency of mass shootings in the future.[8]

Social media spreads the news even faster. At the mass shootings at Pulse Nightclub, Las Vegas, and Parkland, survivors and witnesses sent videos and news of the events on Snapchat, Facebook, Twitter, and text message.

Two weeks after the Parkland school shooting on Valentine's Day in 2018, 638 copycat threats targeted schools nationwide.[9] These threats are often jokes or hoaxes that spread through social media, but they can still be harmful.

As long as the media continue to focus their news stories on the attacker, it is likely that the contagion will continue.[10] The American Psychological Association recommends that mass media deny shooters the fame they desire by not sharing so many details about them and instead direct their attention to the victims and their stories. Campaigns like Don't Name Them (a campaign of Texas State University) and No Notoriety (created by a couple in honor of their son who died in the Colorado movie theater shooting) urge the media to cover tragic incidents without naming the shooters.

Does Media Coverage Inspire Copy Cat Mass Shootings? | National Center for Health Research

I understand, but closing, banning, there's a lot of that happening to us these days. I'd like to make my own decision without someone filtering for me what I can read and hear. The story was about Stone Mountain and armed Antifa. I for one would like to hear what people think, without being called snide.
bb

I understand, but closing, banning, there's a lot of that happening to us these days. I'd like to make my own decision without someone filtering for me what I can read and hear. The story was about Stone Mountain and armed Antifa. I for one would like to hear what people think, without being called snide.

Herb g, you make me work when you write inside my quote. I had to cut and paste to get you down. :(

If the story had been about Stone Mountain alone, I would have agreed. But the OP was the one that put the crud in. It was over the top for a site that represents peaceful gun owners. As I said PM me if you want to know the truth. I am not going to dissect it and keep it going here!!!

well said. Not snide at all

Sooooo, it's ok for anti-Semitism and white supremacy to be slyly inserted into our discussions? That's what you want protected? That's the face our prominent group of gun owners is going to show the nation?
Here is the message I got about my satire thread that disappeared. I am pretty sure there wasn't anything anti-Semitic or racist in it: Your thread Maybe We Should Include All Semi-Auto Firearms In NFA? was moved to a different forum.

Here is the message I got about my satire thread that disappeared. I am pretty sure there wasn't anything anti-Semitic or racist in it: Your thread Maybe We Should Include All Semi-Auto Firearms In NFA? was moved to a different forum.

I never said there was. Are we going to go round and round about this in THIS thread? You're bubbleguming about a thread being moved? Really?

You know, I already apologized for any confusion on my part. If you have anything else to say about this PLEASE PM me. This is being very disruptive to this thread and wayyyyyy off topic!!!

I never said there was. Are we going to go round and round about this in THIS thread? You're bubbleguming about a thread being moved? Really?

You know, I already apologized for any confusion on my part. If you have anything else to say about this PLEASE PM me. This is being very disruptive to this thread and wayyyyyy off topic!!!
No worries, I sent that before I saw your reponse. My fault for hijacking this thread.

Herb g, you make me work when you write inside my quote. I had to cut and paste to get you down. :(

If the story had been about Stone Mountain alone, I would have agreed. But the OP was the one that put the crud in. It was over the top for a site that represents peaceful gun owners. As I said PM me if you want to know the truth. I am not going to dissect it and keep it going here!!!
Sorry, B.B., don't know how that happened. There's been a lot of "closings" lately and coming at a time when it's getting harder to hear all points of view. I'm a big big boy - I can take it when my eyes and ears are offended. Yes, when you control the whip-handle, you control the narrative. I too am concerned about this site going the way of others in the PC world.

No worries, I sent that before I saw your reponse. My fault for hijacking this thread.

I wondered after I saw your "like".

Not sure how the thread got hijacked, but I don't think it was you that started it. I'm always confused after some verbal action, so I'd just as soon move forward at this point. Thanx!

Last Edited:
I can take it when my eyes and ears are offended.

I know YOU can Herb, and most of us here I bet. But some things just shouldn't be said. Anywhere. Them's fighting words. Gonna get some sh!t started. I've already been chastised about that.

I love this forum. It's the one I started with and the only one I've been on. When we start allowing anti-Semitism, etc, isn't that counterproductive to the image we want the rest of the world to see? As before, PM me if you need to know how I arrived at the conclusion that anti-Semitism was at work. It was coy.

bb

Last Edited:
Convince them how? Think about it. How are you going to convince a majority of American voters, most of whom don't own guns, to accept that?

Well, I did say I wasn't offering any solutions at this point, but how about this: what if each gun owner starts a conversation with a friend, co-worker, or any other person with whom they have a trusted relationship. Maybe even convince them to come to the range and shoot a gun (0.22 LR to start). If every gun owner can change just one person's opinion, suddenly the 30%-40% who support our position is doubled to 60%-80%. The main point of my post was that we are facing an existential threat and we need to come up with better ways to bring more people over to our side. That would make for an interesting new thread. You, on the other hand, give me the impression that you've already given up and concluded it's not possible.

Comparing trying to get people to accept mass shootings to their acceptance of deaths from motor vehicles and alcohol consumption is ludicrous.

Well, I did say "The acceptance of the risks in the two example cases given above is in general not difficult to explain". It was just an analogy. I admit there might be a better one.

Do I really have to explain how mass shootings and firearm ownership are completely different?

No, I said "mass public shootings are rare events, and that they represent only a vanishingly small fraction of homicides", and "it only takes their misuse by a handful of people out of an estimated 100 million firearm owners to reignite the gun-control wars."

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top