JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Ukrainian counteroffensive north of Kharkiv City continued to successfully push Russian forces toward the Russia-Ukraine border on May 10. Ukrainian forces liberated several towns north of Kharkiv City and continued pushing north of the recently liberated Staryi Saltiv to capture several towns northeast of Kharkiv: a Russian source claimed that Ukrainian troops advanced to within 10km of the Russian border. Russian forces from the Izyum area are reportedly redeploying northwards to attempt to alleviate the pressure of this counteroffensive and stymie further northward advances toward the Russian border. The Ukrainian counteroffensive will likely continue to divert Russian troops and resources from deployment to other axes of advance where fighting has been similarly stalled out by the successful Ukrainian defense. The counteroffensive will impede the ability of Russian artillery to target the northeastern suburbs of Kharkiv City, will potentially enable Ukrainian forces to threaten Russian rear areas with their own shelling and further attacks, and—if Ukrainian forces are able to further advance the counteroffensive or Russian forces collapse along the Kharkiv axis and withdraw further—unhinge Russian offensive operations around Izyum.

the new American 155s are doing their job!!
89 of the American systems are now in Ukrainian possession

the first house I bought was in Vallejo in '78, spent many a weekend at the Horse and Cow drinking with Nuc boat crews
those are some serious people!!
Thats so funny I remember as a Kid driving by that place whenever the family would head to the Bay Area. Had a Submarine on the top of the building!!!

Thats so funny I remember as a Kid driving by that place whenever the family would head to the Bay Area. Had a Submarine on the top of the building!!!
they had a dive claxon from an old diesel sub mounted behind the bar
when ever someone bought a round for the bar, they would hit the claxon and the whole bar would yell "DIVE DIVE DIVE"
the CIA spy boats were based out of Mare Island
but when one of them came in, even I wasn't allowed in the bar on their first night in
I swear the bartenders had a top security clearance at the Horse and Cow

Can't verify but the numbers appear to match what I have read

TanksForThe Range.png

in '69 I used to spend weekends salvaging spent munitions on the test ranges at Egland AFB in Florida

I observed what the munitions from an AC130 could do to armor

no thanks

we used to check with Air Traffic Control to verify that the ranges were cold before we went out

THEN

several of us were out on the range picking up spend 20mm to assemble in belts to sell at the swap meets
we hear this whistle coming from down range - a NAVY F-4 from Pensacola was returning from practice and had to dump it's unspent ordinance
never knew I could run 100 yrds so fast - we hid in the observation bunker while the F-4 dropped a 500 lbs bomb up range from us
Had the pleasure of seeing a Spooky jock yank and bank one at an air show a number of years ago. Pretty frickin impressive to say the least!!! I would HATE to be in his sights. No place to run or hide!

And with smart munitions it's one-shot, "one"-kill.
thats what I read also
the US has provided Ukraine with M982 GPS guided artillery rounds for the M777 howitzers
range - 25 miles
positioning data fed back in real time from the Bayraktar drones
as the man said "ONE SHOT - ONE KILL"

This is a view that any tanker could well do without - three T72B3M tanks destroyed in Eastern Ukraine using German-provided Panzerfaust-3 ATGM. The TC stayed in the turret when it parted company with the hull of the second tank - see @2:14

The results of the unbelievable fury of the simultaneous detonation of all the on-board ammunition is evidence of gross ineptness in basic design. A design shared with ANY soviet-derived tank design anywhere in the world, like China and N. Korea.....

This is a view that any tanker could well do without - three T72B3M tanks destroyed in Eastern Ukraine using German-provided Panzerfaust-3 ATGM. The TC stayed in the turret when it parted company with the hull of the second tank - see @2:14

The results of the unbelievable fury of the simultaneous detonation of all the on-board ammunition is evidence of gross ineptness in basic design. A design shared with ANY soviet-derived tank design anywhere in the world, like China and N. Korea.....
I wonder if the crew had their Covid shots???

"Das ist fantastich" ... classic.

In GW1 the Iraqi Republican Guard had an artillery brigade wiped out in less than ten minutes....
They call it the King of Battle for good reason...

During the First Gulf War, a scout platoon from the 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment ran into several Republican Guard tank battalion(s). I know the scout platoon leader and he shared with me what happened. They were conducting a movement to contact when they crested a rise and saw before them scores of armored vehicles. I don't recall how far he said the Iraqis were but probably within 2,000 meters. Too close.

They had nowhere to go and began taking and returning fire. His platoon sergeant's (?) track took a direct hit from a T72. His six Bradleys' were outnumbered and outgunned. He needed fire support and lots of it. It was more than his supporting mortar tracks with their 120 mm mortars could provide. He jumped on the Regimental frequency and requested fire support but there was too much traffic and no one was paying him any attention for his call for fire.

After several attempts to get someone to respond, frustrated and with another of his Bradleys' hit, he now had several wounded and some KIAs. He was pissed and desperate for help. He keyed the handset and said shouted "This is (his call sign), I am in contact with battalion + armored vehicles, taking fire. Need immediate fire support. Whose 'rooster' do I have to suck to get some God damn fire support?" He didn't say rooster, he said the other word. The radio network went silent. Then, over the airwaves a voice answers, "Red One this is Thunder Six, understand you need help. What do you need?" Thunder Six was the Division Artillery Commander. God himself.

The scout platoon leader informed Thunder Six that he had over 100 armored vehicles his direct front, that he needed a kill box 10 kilometers wide and six kilometers deep and that he needed Thunder Six to kill everything in the box and that it was going to be danger close. He gave Thunder Six the grid coordinates for the corners of the kill box.

Thunder Six told him to stand by and to have his crews button up. Not long after, Holy Hell rained down in front of his scouts. It was a mix of 155mm and MLRS DPICM. Shrapnel from some of the incoming rounds shredded their rucksacks and duffel bags hung on the outside of their vehicles and cut down their radio antennas and spider webbed their armored vision blocks. When the artillery stopped the horizon to his front was filled with smoke and flames from burning Iraqi vehicles.

He was awarded the Silver Star for his actions that day.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top