JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Rule #1) Get OUT side of any structures when the shaking starts! #2) Get clear of any structures what could collapse on you, even if only near. #3) Get clear of over head threats, Powerlines and trees being the two most common threats. #4) Get clear of any slopes of more then about 7% grade if they are of loose build, I.E. Large rocks, or otherwise unstable looking #5) If in a car, STOP as soon as it's safe to do so avoiding all of the threats listed above, get off the road as far as you safely can, STAY in the car unless it's completely clear of any threats listed above! If you do exit, SNIF TEST before you move off on foot, Rotten eggs, RUN LIKE HELL! If in a tidal wave risk area, GET to High Ground NOW!

Not on you OP for posting it...

But, whenever I read stuff like this on the internets (from supposed experts); I'm skeptical. Especially when it concerns advice on what/what not to do in situations where snap decisions in an emergency may be matters of life and death.

I tend to look for additional information to back up such claims...

I personally don't proclaim to be an expert, but the advice to avoid doorways seems poor to me.

In addition to having a background in construction, having extensively travelled the ancient world and having explored the many still existing structures and ruins...The one architectural feature to have survived the most through millennia of earthquakes? The Roman arch.

The one architectural feature to have survived the most through millennia of earthquakes? The Roman arch
Many built without mortar - just well fit.

As to going under desks, In my work environment, since the mid 90's, And I was at work for the 2001 quake near Olympia, is that he overhead objects like fluorescent light fixtures, and ceiling tiles, are a great threat. Those and stuffed teddy bears. No object over 8oz may be placed above 5 feet over the floor without being secured. Set a pop on your shelf ... secure that sucker. One guy had a teddy bear the safety committee weighed and force him to re-locate. Another guy had a bowling pin, which he super-glued in place. There are a$$holes everywhere. My shelf has magically been adjusted to 58 in ;-). Magic.

Many built without mortar - just well fit.

As to going under desks, In my work environment, since the mid 90's, And I was at work for the 2001 quake near Olympia, is that he overhead objects like fluorescent light fixtures, and ceiling tiles, are a great threat. Those and stuffed teddy bears. No object over 8oz may be placed above 5 feet over the floor without being secured. Set a pop on your shelf ... secure that sucker. One guy had a teddy bear the safety committee weighed and force him to re-locate. Another guy had a bowling pin, which he super-glued in place. There are a$$holes everywhere. My shelf has magically been adjusted to 58 in ;-). Magic.
Kind of makes you wish for a quake, or big giant meteor.

Home. Which is where I probably would be anyway.

My main worry would be a tree falling on the house, secondary would be the house sliding down an incline. This side of the mountain is much less prone to landslides than the south side - Chehalem ridge is much steeper on the south side because it has historically (geologic age) had many more landslides - it doesn't take a geology professor to see that - it is very apparent.

I looked at the maps they make of slide/earthquake danger ratings, one of them I think they used LIDAR to look at the ground, and it is interesting to note that exactly where my house is, and the shape/size of the house, is lower than the surrounding ground. My manufactured home (triple wide) sits on a concrete pad on compacted fill, but the largest deck is settling and not on level compacted fill.

Probably the safest place on my property that is readily accessible would be either in my shop or one of the paved areas.

I think there is some bias to the "triangle of death" theory - it sounds like the author has mostly seen situations where people were in heavy, probably tall buildings - so sure, if you live/work in a multi-story concrete wall/floor building that pancakes, there may be some validity in those observations. OTOH, if you live in a single story wood framed house and are there when the earthquake hits, quite probably the danger is from falling objects like my very heavy oak headboard on my bed, that I have cables for but have not installed. Or the beams/rafters from the roof - a sturdy table would maybe protect you from the roof caving in (I don't think mine would cave in - more likely the house would split in three sections, if it did at all).

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top