JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As PO'd as I am with Oregon politics and policies, I'm standing pat.
I've considered moving, but the cost in dollars, agitation and general upheaval doesn't seem worth it.

I chose my place because it has three water sources; a mountain spring, a fairly significant year round creek and a well and if worse comes to worst, the Rogue River is about a mile from here.

Water or no water, we either win the freedom war or where we live won't matter anyway.

I have three water sources too. My well, a year round creek and a pond. The last two are not easy to get to, requiring walking down a steep hill to the bottom of my property about 1000' then walking back up the steep hill with the water. During the summer I could maybe drive down there with a truck, but it would be easy. During the summer my truck would just slide down the hill (if it didn't slide off the muddy road altogether, which I have done more than once) at least until I got to the really steep part, and then I would have to walk the rest of the way, then walk all the way home as my truck would be stuck there until summer.

That said, I don't think my aquifer will run out of water, but the southwest will:

I have three water sources too. My faucet. The grocery store. The river.

But water isn't really just a "local" issue. Last I checked anyone can pack up and move from the SW to the NW anytime they want. If it gets bad enough in Cali they are coming here.

I have three water sources too. My faucet. The grocery store. The river.

But water isn't really just a "local" issue. Last I checked anyone can pack up and move from the SW to the NW anytime they want. If it gets bad enough in Cali they are coming here.

They can move legally, but can they afford to?

Sure, those with $1M in property equity could - maybe (good luck finding a house in today's market), but most would still need to find a job (although, if they are in the tech sector, the chances of keeping their current job is a lot higher now).

The people who probably could not easily move here are those who are currently unemployed (double the number it was in early 2020) and those who live paycheck to paycheck. It is harder to move than you suggest. But yes, there will be a migration - I have been saying that for some time. Now is the time to prepare (i.e., have arable land away from population centers, with reasonable shelter, preferably a defensible shelter).

Been to DC, Maryland, VA and NC - I didn't care for the heat and humidity in the summer. YMMV.
Keeps your pores clean. My many forays into and out of the south over the decades have taught me that your first summer you sweat like a pig and are uncomfortable as hell. The next summer you dont even notice it. Good thing about hot summers is they get washed away with a cold beer.

Keeps your pores clean. My many forays into and out of the south over the decades have taught me that your first summer you sweat like a pig and are uncomfortable as hell. The next summer you dont even notice it. Good thing about hot summers is they get washed away with a cold beer.

I would take 2-3 showers a day when I was at Yorktown. The temps were 99* and the humidity % closely matched the temps. Some people can tolerate that kind of weather, I prefer more moderate weather. I've been from Florida to Alaska in the summer and winter and I still prefer Orygun.

They can move legally, but can they afford to?

Sure, those with $1M in property equity could - maybe (good luck finding a house in today's market), but most would still need to find a job (although, if they are in the tech sector, the chances of keeping their current job is a lot higher now).

The people who probably could not easily move here are those who are currently unemployed (double the number it was in early 2020) and those who live paycheck to paycheck. It is harder to move than you suggest. But yes, there will be a migration - I have been saying that for some time. Now is the time to prepare (i.e., have arable land away from population centers, with reasonable shelter, preferably a defensible shelter).
WADR........California wealth (largely unearned through real estate appreciation) completely overwhelmed the Oregon coastal river front, lake front and ocean front real estate market beginning right at the time of the 1979-85 recession we had here in Oregon. Most Oregonians remain priced out of the waterfront/view coastal market.

Bought my first lake front lot on Siltcoos Lake for $28,000 (early/mid 80's).
Ex wifie took it in a divorce...Stupid woman sold it for $160,000. (1995)
By the 8/2006 market peak it was worth $375,000 - $400,000.
Custom housing fueled much of Oregon coastal construction for better than 20 years.
All California money.. Locals were priced out many of the coastal real estate markets for years; including non water related properties.

It also spread into inland residential housing markets in any desireable place to live.
Oregon used to be an affordable place to live. California money ruined much of our livability......then add the human waste running Salem.

I know of what I speak....Was a licensed and practicing real estate appraiser in Oregon 1975 until my retirement last year.

Last Edited:
WADR........California wealth (largely unearned through real estate appreciation) completely overwhelmed the Oregon coastal river front, lake front and ocean front real estate market beginning right at the time of the 1979-85 recession we had here in Oregon. Most Oregonians remain priced out of the waterfront/view coastal market.

Bought my first lake front lot on Siltcoos Lake for $28,000 (early/mid 80's).
Ex wifie took in a divorce...Stupid woman sold it for $160,000. (1995)
By the 8/2006 market peak it was worth $375,000 - $400,000.
Custom housing fueled much of Oregon coastal construction for better than 20 years.
All California money.. Locals were priced out many of the coastal real estate markets for years; including non water related properties.

It also spread into inland residential housing markets in any desireable place to live.
Oregon used to be an affordable place to live. California money ruined much of our livability......then add the human waste running Salem.

I know of what I speak....Was a licensed and practicing real estate appraiser in Oregon 1975 until my retirement last year.
As I said, *IF* you have $1M in equity, sure, you can afford to move here and buy a house - if you don't need a job. If you live paycheck to paycheck, are renting or have very little equity/savings, then it isn't quite so easy.

Either way, in today's market, you better have cash or at least a solid mortgage backing, to not be outbid. If someone comes to me with $650K cash vs. the same offer but contingent on mortgage approval, I will take the cash and run.

My point was not that there will not be a migration, but simply that a lot of people cannot migrate simply because they cannot afford to. Not everybody in the SW has that kind of financial resources and not everybody can walk away from their jobs, if they even have one.

My response was to the assertion by @bkroger86 that "Last I checked anyone can pack up and move from the SW to the NW anytime they want." which I assert is not true, and I qualified refutation with allowing that some people could - but only those who could afford to. You then moved the goalposts by talking about people from California with "wealth". Even in California, not everybody has "wealth", in fact, most people do not.

Wealth is relative to where you live.

Living pay check to pay check in most California markets is much more costly than living pay check to paycheck in most Oregon markets......probably even without the "buy-in" needed to own real property.

But I do understand what you're saying and to some extent agree.

...then and again how does that explain the 10's of thousand of apparently "wealthy" illegals who can "afford" to invade the US across the southern border? We're being told the invasion is due to global warming and climate change or whatever excuse the talking head needs at the moment.

Don't want to fight about it...You make some good points.

Last Edited:
Wealth is relative to where you live.

Living pay check to pay check in most California markets is much more costly than living pay check to paycheck in most Oregon markets......probably even without the "buy-in" needed to own real property.

But I do understand what you're saying and to some extent agree.

...then and again how does that explain the 10's of thousand of apparently "wealthy" illegals who can afford to invade the US across the southern border?

Don't want to fight about it...You make some good points.

Even California is better than Mexico, much less Guatemala - as you say, wealth is relative.

Seems like Western Oregon is warmer and dryer than it was 50 years ago when I first got here. Got an apartment on Sherman Ave in Coos Bay. Rained for the next 12 days. Crossed my mind I could be witnessing a biblical event......

At that time we were all supposed to die from the impending Ice Age.....

All I know my diesel increased from $2.09 to $3.19/$3.29 per gallon within the last 40+- days.
Apparently the Ice Age has been cancelled.

As far a the "Science Prez" is concerned...I don't think so.
Height of this demented fools day is when his middle finger breaks through the TP......

As Oregon gets increasingly leftist I've thought of leaving.
But to where? Love living near an ocean, arid climates much less so.
Leftists control most of those water front states.

If they're not in control now they'll move in however many illegals and "refugees" as is needed to change the demographics. It's happened in cities throughout fly-over country. Don't know how long Florida and Texas can hold out.
No idea where I would go....probably Florida. Less populated ocean front locations remain plentiful....but then you're living with native Floridians.....that is apparently a separate species.
We all think about getting the hell out of here. The problem is, that the blue virus is spreading rapidly in all of the once great alternative destinations. I'm considering staying put once my kids are off. Keep with the enemy that you already know.

We have copperheads. Killed one in my garage a few months ago.
Those copperheads are near invisible. At least with the rattlers, they are easier to see, but if you don't see them, they usually (but not always) rattle to advise you to move away or change direction.

"Whiskey is for drink'en & water is for fight'en"

Having been unfortunate to have lived on the left coast far too long, the water right issue/laws are outdated and archaic. The rights/laws are not working. Times have changed and so has the climate. Water is for fight'en is a big clue there was never enough water in the very beginning. But the laws have not changed, sad.

Looking at Orygun: The Oregon Water Resource Dept. is underfunded & understaffed; unable to do their job. Their crazy thoughts/rules drive some of us bonkers. Tell me how this transfer of water rights gets water from one part of the state to another part of the state???? Is there some magic pipe I can't see which knows how & where to move the water? Money says if that transfer made extra water available, something in between would suck it dry.

Then in my hood: I'm surrounded by commercial size pot growers. There is no city water, period. The only source of dependable water is well water. Irrigation of pot to grow, requires water rights since the pot is for sale to others. (Think I'm reading OWRD's rules correctly) Using OWRD's map, ain't no one in the hood with water rights! The shallow water wells are running dry near the growers. Funny, all the other nearby land owners simply slap their foreheads and hunch their shoulders. Wouldn't say crap if they had a mouthful.

Seems we still believe it is possible to eat our cake and have it too.

Foreverlost,

How come, in all these lists, of all the things we can do to "Save The Planet". Change our lifestyles. Quit bathing daily, let the grass die, keep the lights off and buy expensive "Blue Skye" heavily subsidized green energy, NO ONE EVER mentions quit having so many GD KIDS!!??? W-T-F?
Because the influx of illegals WILL NOT stop having kids.

WV is nice...........................health care is #50 in ranking.............not so gud. Eastern Panhandle has some elbow room. $300-$350K can get a person a 3br 2b room newer home and 5 to 40 acers. Darned state uses salt on the roads during winter,,,,,,,,,,,,cars last 4 years before turning into a flintstone vehicle. Put your shoes thru the floorboards and use as brakes.

Check healthcare & auto dealerships in the area of interest.

Foreverlost,

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads