JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I like the terrain and idea of moving to an arid climate, but this is a long-term concern.

Perhaps 25 years ago (before global warming and climate change became in vogue...) I read an article predicting a slow, long-term aridification of the US Southwest. The article hypothesized that what we have seen in the past 300-1000 years in the region might have been a geological 'freak', and we should expect the entire region to go back to drying out.

When I was in college around 83 or 84 trying to figure out a career, all my research kept talking about America moving to a service industry and traditional jobs being replaced by automation. I couldn't picture it then.

I think these predictions could be true but the reality may be different than you envision. Who knows if Oregon will become part of Idaho in the next 5 years.

There is a serious issue with aquifers most everywhere, especially the western US. But in already arid areas it can be almost insurmountable. A major factor in depletion of aquifers is human water consumption greatly exceeding the ability of nature to replenish the aquifer and climate change (for whatever reason) isn't helping.

In the southwest a lot of water is used for agricultural irrigation because the growing season is longer so there is a lot more ag there, and that ag usually has to use irrigation (fruit and veggie crops).

So even if you can find land with a well or running water, you run the risk of that water source being depleted over time.

One of the reasons I like the PNW is because west of the Cascades we get more precip, but even here there are problems. I get twice as much precip here on the mountain as the valley does, but some of the aquifers here are being depleted; my neighbors tap into a different much deeper (400'+ vs 100') aquifer than my well does and one of them is having to lower his well pump because his water level has dropped 20'.

Only in the NW corner of Orygun (from about Newberg to Astoria) is there NOT a technical drought condition in Orygun. The rest of Orygun is considered to be in a drought.

If I were to consider living in the SW, I would look for the small areas where there is some precip and snow in the local mountains (for snow melt) - such as Flagstaff. This kind of goes counter to your objective though.

I have a cousin who lives in Tucson, AZ and he told me last year was hotter than he had ever remembered with less than typical rain for their 'monsoon' season.

He is a staunch global warming and climate change aficionado however as well.

I am quite sure he 'buys off' on Bidens 'Green Deal' without question.

He also thinks Biden is going to be the new 'Science Prez' as well.

I have a cousin who lives in Tucson, AZ and he told me last year was hotter than he had ever remembered with less than typical rain for their 'monsoon' season.

He is a staunch global warming and climate change aficionado however as well.

I am quite sure he 'buys off' on Bidens 'Green Deal' without question.

He also thinks Biden is going to be the new 'Science Prez' as well.

There is little that anybody can do at this point, just try to mitigate how bad it gets.

Oh, he firmly believes panic is the best bet - and basically shut the world down to solve it.

The policy makers/etc. will decide what to do, and there is little that individuals can do to impact the outcome, is what I meant to say.

What an individual can do is prepare. Part of that preparation is to decide where to locate. Water is one of the most important resources anyone will need going forward, and a major reason why I would not relocate to the SW.

and there is little that individuals can do to impact the outcome, is what I meant to say.
Oh I got that. I was just being facetious and using my cousin as an example of someone who thinks individuals CAN impact the outcome - but with great influence by the policymakers.

Megadroughts come and go in the SW. Just because we set up camp down there doesn't mean mother nature is going to quit dishing them out. Personally I would avoid the southwest. When the next megadrought hits, it's going to suck.

Last Edited:
Megadroughts come and go in the SW. Just because we set up camp down there doesn't mean mother nature is going to quit dishing them out. Personally I would avoid the southwest. When the next megadrought hits, it's going to suck.

There may be exceptional places, like along a river (e.g., the Deschutes) that is fed by snow melt. But water in arid areas where there is a population center within driving distance could quite possibly attract refugees.

Whereas in areas like NW Orygun, water would be accessible enough that having your own water source would probably not attract refugees as they could find water most anywhere. Food on the other hand might attract refugees - depending on the scenario - but having your own hidden garden would be harder to find than say a river or lake and would not be on a map.

There may be exceptional places, like along a river (e.g., the Deschutes)
Yep - the Deschutes is an exceptional place - except when it looks like this !

ice.jpg

and the PNW was a lot drier than it is now...

The Sahara used to be lush with vegetation and there were boreal forests in northern Russia..

Ebb and flow of climates and shifts of weather.

Remember... to your dog, you are eternal.

Remember... to your dog, you are eternal.
To your cat, you are warmth, food, or not worthy.
People talk to me about global warming - it's *scientific* fact!
I ask if they want to do their part, and usually hear them drone on about what they do, or how they are vegan, blah blah blah.
To the vegans I tell them to look up the environmental impact studies - veganism consumes more energy than non.
To the rest, I advise them to:
  • Give up dairy and beef
  • Stop buying China made products
  • Stop driving
  • Stop mowing their lawn.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR