JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hi all,

I'm a CHL holder and have a clean record for the last 17 years, I'm 42 now. Never have been convicted of any crimes in my lifetime. Nothing. 17 years ago I called the police due to an abusive girlfriend,
They took me instead of her because of her lying to the cop. I was arrested for assualt 4. The judge dropped all charges and I was never convicted of anything. I have been squeeky clean since. Not even a traffic infraction.

So, Why do the state police have me on a delay for trying to buy a shotgun? I have had my record checked but a friend who is a police officer. He said that is the only thing showing on my record at all.

Can anyone explain to me why this is happening?
I purchased a Sig Sauer 556 3 years ago with no issues at all.

Thanks for any help,

Pontiacman

How long of a delay? Have you had a change of address recently? I had a delay once because I had moved to a new house within the last several months. They told me it would be 48 hours, if approved, but they called me the following day and approval had come through. Never had a delay before that or since then. It could be something as innocuous as that.

Doesn't necessarily mean anything. It can happen to anyone. Now a DENIAL would be something to be checking on. But, depending on where you purchased (they don't always follow this rule) you can go pick up the gun after 3 business days (doesn't include weekend days or holidays) have elapsed, even if the response has not yet come back. I had that happen to me for the first time when I bought my Mosin M38 from the Gun Broker in Clackamas. I am bracing myself to expect the same when I go on Monday to pick up my layaway purchase so that I won't be as disappointed as I was on the previous purchase.

Last Edited:
Hi all,

I'm a CHL holder and have a clean record for the last 17 years, I'm 42 now. Never have been convicted of any crimes in my lifetime. Nothing. 17 years ago I called the police due to an abusive girlfriend,
They took me instead of her because of her lying to the cop. I was arrested for assualt 4. The judge dropped all charges and I was never convicted of anything. I have been squeeky clean since. Not even a traffic infraction.

So, Why do the state police have me on a delay for trying to buy a shotgun? I have had my record checked but a friend who is a police officer. He said that is the only thing showing on my record at all.

Can anyone explain to me why this is happening?
I purchased a Sig Sauer 556 3 years ago with no issues at all.

Thanks for any help,

Pontiacman

I've had a 2 week delay before which from everything i've read they're supposed to approve or deny you within 72 hours? Anyways the time following that it was a instant approval when buying a gun. They need to scrap the system & get back to being a free country.

30 day delay. I've been at the same residence for over 16 years. Been 3 weeks so far.
Who did you buy from? You are legally allowed to pick it up as I mentioned after 3 business days have elapsed, even if there has been no response.

Gun Control Act of 1968 said:
(ii) 3 business days (meaning a
day on which State offices are open)
have elapsed since the licensee contacted
the system, and the system
has not notified the licensee that the
receipt of a firearm by such other
person would violate subsection (g)
or (n) of this section; and

The fact that it was so long ago could be the reason for the delay. If they do not have a "complete" record it could take time to request your records, especially if this happened in another state that requires a written request for records.

Yeah, I think they are one of the ones who won't release until they get a response, regardless. Irritating. I'm glad The Gun Broker follows the allowance for release.

Interestingly, Bi-Mart WILL release it if you buy it from them. I did it a few years ago (got delayed on a Henry .22) and picked it up on the 3rd day. They called me on the drive home to tell me that OSP called in the approval about 10 minutes after I picked it up *shrug*.

I have always been a 5 min approval with a cwp holder in Oregon and Utah. Went to Bi-mart to buy 2 10/22's and got put on a 30 day hold. They did not let me pay for them though???? Saw another 10/22 at big 5 and paid for that one but got put on a 30 day again. I did just move last year but i already had my permits switched. Not a happy guy right now.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top