JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For a loooong time I've been reading comments on some government entity banning something relating to firearms. Magazine capacities, barrel lengths, black guns, "assault" weapons, etc. The general course of responses seems to be: "What will I do if the govt. bans my...fill in the blanks. I know that most of us would sigh, bend over and follow the law. But...in this day of lawlessness, where minority anythings seem to do their thing with impunity, why wouldn't gun owners (the good ones) simply ignore the ban like the bad ones do? As an example, the gang bangers ignore everything...gun laws, criminal laws, drug laws, moral laws and more. So the question is why should a good citizen follow a stupid law just because the party in power wants such an outcome? The magazine ban is one such prohibition. You can have 7, 10 or 5 rounds, but not 15? In the famous words of HRC..."What difference does it make?" If one were to be limited to 5 round mags, then he or she would just carry more mags...3 X 5 = 15. One man I know is 70 years old, retired, has a permit, doesn't smoke, drink or do drugs but wants to carry his 9mm to protect himself and family. Yes, he could carry a single stack and meet most "ban" cities, but suppose he owns a double stacked semi-auto which he shoots accurately and well? Should New Jersey, New York California and others keep him from carrying? If he goes to Chicago (example) why shouldn't he be allowed to carry a 30 rounder? Another issue (here we go again!) is the use of "assault" when describing a weapon. My wife asked this question: "What's the difference between an assault weapon and a regular weapon?" Now, I just KNEW that she wasn't politically savvy, so tried to explain that the assault weapon is usually dark in color, plastic, angular, contains words or numbers such as AR, 5.56, Russian, SKS, Stoner, M16, expensive, ugly, designed for killing, automatic, machine gun-like, used only by criminals...you get the idea. Then I said that such terms are either used by the Far Left or the media, both which usually do not know anything about guns in general, but who sensational such things in order to foster their own views. Then, I went on to explain that the word "assault" is primarily a description of an action as opposed to a thing, such as he was "assaulted" by a robber who used a brick. Being an English major, she got that quickly, saying that any "thing" used to commit an assault is an assault weapon! Bingo! Her snub-nose .38 is not an assault weapon unless she uses it to attack/assault another person. Defensive use is not an assault. So...isn't it the assaulter who uses any weapon in an assault, actually the problem? If I assault you by hitting you on the head with a wooden bat or a non-loaded shotgun, which is the "assault weapon?" Does that change if I drive a spike thru the top of the bat or load the firearm? I've over-made the point here. It isn't the weapon which commits the assault, it's the person wielding and using it. So, back to the original issue up top, why should anyone of us give up our defensive weapons simply because some nitwit says we should. Most laws are good and some are bad. It's the stupid ones passed by stupid people that need flushing, ignoring, fighting, protesting, defeating, etc. Pick your verb and decide what you're going to do. Where's Chuck Heston when you need him?:s0051:

I feel that many folks would not comply with what they feel to be a "Stupid Gun Law."
Such as not always complying with the mandatory background check we now have on private firearm sales.

All that being said I for one am not going on a public forum and say that I would not obey a law.
Even if I felt it was a useless law , disagreed with it etc ...

Non compliance is a great tool , but we need to work to legally overturn those laws which do no good or have no effect on crime or criminals.
Andy
Edit for pre-coffee typing.

Last Edited:
Law abiding citizens tend to consider the ramifications of their actions, the consequences (intended or otherwise) to them and the ones they love. Criminals not so much, I'm thinking.

That was exactly my thought as I was reading this. Because if I get caught and they decide to make an example out of me, which would be my luck. :rolleyes: Who takes care of my family and loved ones. I could not and would not take that chance.
Steffan

If you do some checking you'll find some interesting information. Compliance with various gun control laws around the country is already low - in other words, many people are choosing to ignore the ridiculous laws. Doing so does come with risk - you could lose your right to own guns at all, you could lose your job, your home, even your freedom if you commit a crime worthy of a prison sentence.

And when it comes to bad guys with illegal guns, magazines, etc., don't look past the fact that our justice system hasn't exactly been making examples of them by giving them severe, long term penalties. But God help you if you're a pro-gun guy, minding his own business, but caught with a 15-round magazine in a 10-round state - be prepared to be paraded through the media as an example of how dangerous we pro-gun people are. There is a double standard, no two ways about it. We will be treated differently than the actual criminals, because we've allowed the government to get to that level.

But back to compliance. New York's SAFE Act is one of the most restrictive gun laws in the country. When the SAFE Act went into effect 3 years ago, it was estimated there were approximately 1,000,000 "assault" weapons in private ownership (I think we can assume "assault" means AR-15, AK-47, FN-FAL, etc.). Yet as of January 2016, almost 3 full years since the law went into effect, only 44,000 have been registered as required by the law. That's a 4% compliance rate! In other words, 96% of the guns believed to be in the state are not in compliance - the people are ignoring the law in a huge way - at least that provision of it. Another aspect banned certain 'features' of "assault" weapons, such as adjustable stocks and pistol grips. Wiley gun manufacturers and accessory manufacturers worked around the law to come up with ugly, yet compliant, and still functional guns, which can be legally bought and sold even today - a fact that really pi$$es of the political elite in NY.

Here is a quote from an article I think is interesting (link to the full article at the end of this post):

Gov. Andrew Cuomo claims his anti-gun law, known as the SAFE Act, is "the toughest in the nation," but on its three-year anniversary this Thursday it's looking more like a monumental failure.

The governor claims his law bans sales of military-style assault weapons. Yet today you can walk into any gun store in New York and walk out with essentially the same kind of gun he intended to ban. The industry has reacted to the law by simply redesigning the guns to avoid the features the law prohibits and which Cuomo apparently believed made them more lethal.

Another quote from the article:

The SAFE Act also required that the estimated 1 million assault weapons in private ownership in 2013 be registered with theState Police. After the Cuomo administration stonewalled a Freedom of Information request for more than a year, an Albany judge ordered the State Police to release data on the number of weapons registered as required. They revealed that only 44,000 firearms had been registered.

Full article here: State's SAFE Act needs to set its sights on compliance

Summary: Their stupid law is NOT WORKING, and it's making them look like fools.

This high non-compliance rate is also found in places like Los Angeles (complete ban on any magazine over 10 rounds, no grandfather clause) and even in Australia, where they have one of the most draconian gun bans in the world - they still have such a high rate of non-compliance that they are considering offering a year-long 'amnesty' to finally encourage all those outlaws to turn in their evil guns. I'm guessing the 'amnesty' will, as has the rest of the gun ban, be a complete failure, thus proving more and more how worthless gun control really is.

As for Oregon and Washington with their SB941 and I-594 bills, I suspect that many, many people are ignoring those laws altogether. The fact that Oregon chose not to pursue charges against a Lake Oswego pastor that not only ignored but openly flaunted SB941 so he could make a political statement about his hatred of guns. Not only is non-compliance likely very high, but the states seem to have put little, if any, effort into enforcing them, rather relying on the fear of people to be the actual enforcement rather than assigning officers and funds to go after them. That's not to say you won't be prosecuted if you're caught, it's just to say it's showing to be highly, highly unlikely.

So to answer your question - people are already ignoring ridiculous anti-gun laws and bans. It's happening all over the country. It's just a good idea to remember that while you can choose not to comply, you do open yourself up for some pretty big consequences if you're caught. And while being caught may be a relatively small threat, it's up to each person to decide what they're willing to risk and lose, if they are caught.

Last Edited:
I forgot to add in a comment about the 'assault' definition. The actual definition of assault is irrelevant to the anti-gun group. In an age of moral relativism, you get to choose what it means to you and act on that accordingly. So, for example, we see many in the anti-gun crowd, and their associated political party, redefine terms like this:
  • AR-15: Assault Weapon
  • AK-47: Assault Weapon
  • Semi-Automatic Hunting Rifle: Assault Weapon
  • Rifle with a "thing that goes up": Assault Weapon
  • Any gun they don't like (almost all of them): Assault Weapon
They do the same thing in political circles as well, but if I list those out, I'm likely to get a slap by the mods, so...

Heaven help you if you become "the example". When the government wants to send a message, as they say, the messenger is oftentimes squashed like a bug.

Agreed, but non-compliance is really the only hope we have of fighting back against the tyranny of the anti-gun crowd. That, or we start shooting, and I don't think anyone wants that - I know I don't.

Agreed. The LO pastor was given a pass because he was on the "right side of the issue". Maybe we should take a page from the antis playbook, preface every pro 2A opinion with, "I hate guns too, but...". Seems like every gun grabber actually "owns" guns too or supports the 2A.

Agreed. The LO pastor was given a pass because he was on the "right side of the issue". Maybe we should take a page from the antis playbook, preface every pro 2A opinion with, "I hate guns too, but...". Seems like every gun grabber actually "owns" guns too or supports the 2A.

If I was ever to try and do a private sale outside of SB941 and was caught, I would simply claim I was buying the gun to make a statement, as I was going to melt it down and use it to cast a statue of Governor Kate to thank her for her loving anti-gun position.

On the one hand, I completely agree that what's in my safe is my own business. On the other hand, hypothetically, if you legally defend your family against intruders using an unlicensed SBR with magazines that hold more than the dictated number of rounds, you're screwed. No, it doesn't make sense to me either. Never forget there are still people that would love to see a 2nd amendment supporter pillaged and shackled, as an example to his fellow deplorables.....

On the one hand, I completely agree that what's in my safe is my own business. On the other hand, hypothetically, if you legally defend your family against intruders using an unlicensed SBR with magazines that hold more than the dictated number of rounds, you're screwed. No, it doesn't make sense to me either. Never forget there are still people that would love to see a 2nd amendment supporter pillaged and shackled, as an example to his fellow deplorables.....

Yes, and didn't we have a guy in Portland earlier this year arrested for illegal possession of an SBR he used in some kind of home defense issue? I believe he's being prosecuted to the full extent.

For a loooong time I've been reading comments on some government entity banning something relating to firearms. Magazine capacities, barrel lengths, black guns, "assault" weapons, etc. The general course of responses seems to be: "What will I do if the govt. bans my...fill in the blanks. I know that most of us would sigh, bend over and follow the law. But...in this day of lawlessness, where minority anythings seem to do their thing with impunity, why wouldn't gun owners (the good ones) simply ignore the ban like the bad ones do? As an example, the gang bangers ignore everything...gun laws, criminal laws, drug laws, moral laws and more. So the question is why should a good citizen follow a stupid law just because the party in power wants such an outcome? The magazine ban is one such prohibition. You can have 7, 10 or 5 rounds, but not 15? In the famous words of HRC..."What difference does it make?" If one were to be limited to 5 round mags, then he or she would just carry more mags...3 X 5 = 15. One man I know is 70 years old, retired, has a permit, doesn't smoke, drink or do drugs but wants to carry his 9mm to protect himself and family. Yes, he could carry a single stack and meet most "ban" cities, but suppose he owns a double stacked semi-auto which he shoots accurately and well? Should New Jersey, New York California and others keep him from carrying? If he goes to Chicago (example) why shouldn't he be allowed to carry a 30 rounder? Another issue (here we go again!) is the use of "assault" when describing a weapon. My wife asked this question: "What's the difference between an assault weapon and a regular weapon?" Now, I just KNEW that she wasn't politically savvy, so tried to explain that the assault weapon is usually dark in color, plastic, angular, contains words or numbers such as AR, 5.56, Russian, SKS, Stoner, M16, expensive, ugly, designed for killing, automatic, machine gun-like, used only by criminals...you get the idea. Then I said that such terms are either used by the Far Left or the media, both which usually do not know anything about guns in general, but who sensational such things in order to foster their own views. Then, I went on to explain that the word "assault" is primarily a description of an action as opposed to a thing, such as he was "assaulted" by a robber who used a brick. Being an English major, she got that quickly, saying that any "thing" used to commit an assault is an assault weapon! Bingo! Her snub-nose .38 is not an assault weapon unless she uses it to attack/assault another person. Defensive use is not an assault. So...isn't it the assaulter who uses any weapon in an assault, actually the problem? If I assault you by hitting you on the head with a wooden bat or a non-loaded shotgun, which is the "assault weapon?" Does that change if I drive a spike thru the top of the bat or load the firearm? I've over-made the point here. It isn't the weapon which commits the assault, it's the person wielding and using it. So, back to the original issue up top, why should anyone of us give up our defensive weapons simply because some nitwit says we should. Most laws are good and some are bad. It's the stupid ones passed by stupid people that need flushing, ignoring, fighting, protesting, defeating, etc. Pick your verb and decide what you're going to do. Where's Chuck Heston when you need him?:s0051:
Come back when you've got a few posts under your belt and maybe I'll read all that:rolleyes:

If I was ever to try and do a private sale outside of SB941 and was caught, I would simply claim I was buying the gun to make a statement, as I was going to melt it down and use it to cast a statue of Governor Kate to thank her for her loving anti-gun position.

That'd be an easy statue to make... phalic-heads are virtually featureless! :D

Lest see: first the federal government ignores federal law when it comes to illegal aliens by just ignoring the law and hog tying the border patrol.

Sanctuary cities are aiding and abetting federal fugitives by harboring illegal aliens some who are even actual felons.

Several states have ignored federal law and passed marijuana laws with open store fronts, advertisement and even collect taxes from it but pot is still a federally controlled substance and illegal.

These are just a few examples we can go by, so now tell me why would someone follow a magazine ban, assault weapon ban or anything else firearms related as a precedence has be set that federal laws do not matter to states or even the federal government.

Doesn't the second amendment trump federal law as an unalienable right.

I do not condone breaking the law but if the law no longer matters to state and federal agency's who make the so called laws why should it matter to us.

O-Ya because we want to be the honest good guy.

When I move to Kali in less than 10 days I will comply, spending a couple hundred plus right now to get the firearms I am taking Kommiefornia legal....It sucks, BIG TIME. My next build has been put off indefinitely....

But, Me at my age getting a felony!!!! for magazines that are soon to be illegal or having evil features on a rifle that I might not have registered as an assault weapon is stupid, illogical stubbornness. Or a magazine with more than 10 round capacity that instantly turns my pistol into an AW... my record is squeaky clean. I intend to keep it that way while I spend my 7-8 years in the Gulag known as CA. After that, my wife's and my retirement incomes will be be much better than if I stay in a free state. At age 67 or so I am pulling the plug in CA and moving to Idaho. My really fun toys will be there awaiting me. It was mentally and physically painful unloading standard capacity EBR mags and loading the few reduced capacity 10 round mags I just purchase. But 10 is better than none.

I agree, it is total crap, but I am not going to be the poster child because some Richard at a range or out in the desert canyons some Fish & Game cowboy shows up out of nowhere counting the speckled yeller horned toad and points out EVIL FEATURE, 20 round Mag, standard mag release, your under arrest or simply SHOOTS ME because he feared for his life and can get away with it.... I suck it up for my family and go against my personal beliefs. My momma didn't raise no fool. I will comply in the short term with these BS laws. There is a point I will not yield but that is not going to be broadcast on the interwebs. Yes, CA laws are insane:mad:.....AMMO checks at the border in 2018? No more internet purchases? Shiz is real for shizzle in Kali. I plan on going there and pushing Calguns, NRA, etc. to push for all these laws to be direct infringement on the 2A and our right to self defense and declared unconstitutional.

A few years complying to me is a means to an end. YMMV, and I totally get the will not comply mindset....but for me, in the Gulag, the risks outweigh the "reward" of mag dumps.

Brutus Out

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top