JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a polite request.

Whenever you post and use an acronym, could you please spell it out the first time you use it? Since I'm fairly new to guns, the shootin' life, and I've never been in the military, I often have a heck of a time figuring out what some are saying when they fill their response with acronyms.

A simple parenthetical will help greatly, like in the following:

"I would have used my TETB (Tactical Electric ToothBrush), but the YTI (Yellow Tooth Indicator) was completely BSR (Beyond Standard Range) and didn't register, and as a result my HDQ (Halitosis Disgust Quotient) was off the charts. That's why the blind date didn't work out. It totally blame my TEB."

I'm not complaining, and it's just a request on my part, but I just would like to know what everyone's talking about.

Thanks!

Since toothbrush is one word, wouldn't the acronym be TET? Just to avoid future confusion and all. Just like since yourself is only one word, the acronym should be GFY, not GFYS;)

Google is best.

Asking in the thread is 2nd best.

SBR - Short Barrel Rifle
SBS - Short Barrel Shotgun
SS - Stainless Steel
WTB - Want to Buy
WTS - Want to Sell
WTT- Want to Trade
GLWS - Good Luck With Sale

Can't think of more that are used often but there you go:D

Here's one from ex-military commenting in a SIG P320 thread from another forum.
Military guys love the acronyms...

"Hehe, I carried an M249 SAW or M16A2/M203 AND an M9...

Stinger teams went pretty well armed...like, a platoon of infantry worth of munitions well armed. Appropriate posture was 2-3km forward of the FLOT, might have had something to do with it."

I know what a SAW is...squad automatic weapon. This is the present-day BAR....Browning Automatic Rifle. They are used, usually one per squad to lay down suppressive fire, keeping the enemy's heads down while the rest of the squad maneuvers.
M16A2 is one of the later iterations of M16 with integral carry handle.

M203 is the the grenade launcher that is sometimes attached to an M16/M4.

M9 is the Beretta side arm that our troops carry.

So I knew all that, but FLOT I did not know.
So...
LMGTFY

(oops, another acronym !)

:)

Google is best.

Asking in the thread is 2nd best.

SBR - Short Barrel Rifle
SBS - Short Barrel Shotgun
SS - Stainless Steel
WTB - Want to Buy
WTS - Want to Sell
WTT- Want to Trade
GLWS - Good Luck With Sale

Can't think of more that are used often but there you go:D

How about:

SxS - Side by Side
ACP - Automatic Colt Pistol
BATFE - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
BBL - Barrel
BGC - Bolt Carrier Group
CQB - Close Quarters Battle
FTF - Failure to Feed
FTE - Failure to Eject
DAO - Double Action Only
FMJBT - Full Metal Jacket Boat Tail

Lots more here: FirearmsTalk Acronyms

I remember the first time I came across "SPF" in an ad. Couldn't figure out why guns needed a sun protection factor. Maybe sunscreen was being used as a gun lube?

SPF: Sold Pending Funds

IMG_0277.JPG

Look, sigmadog, it's an impossible request. Most, vastly most, of these acronyms are already long in use. Who's to know if it's being used the first time or the 200,000th.
When I don't know one I just Google it, there are a bunch of sites for just that.
Worst come worst, PM the OP! LOLOL!!!:D

I remember the first time I came across "SPF" in an ad. Couldn't figure out why guns needed a sun protection factor. Maybe sunscreen was being used as a gun lube?

SPF: Sold Pending Funds

View attachment 337444
During Desert Shield / Storm it seemed that there was never enough gun lube around.
Our sun screen did a pretty good job in a pinch
So what SPF would ya use for a M60? :D
Andy

Here's one I'd never heard before.

Ops Boss on CV61 (look that up) wanted me to ask what one of our Phantoms aloft was doing since he had no specific mission profile. Response sounded like "fassit." ???

We did some back and forth over the radio and the frustrated pilot finally spelled out:
Foxtrot
Alpha
Charlie
India
Tango

Puzzled looks all around until a different helpful radio voice finally chimed in with "F__ around, call it training."

Ops went back to his desk in the other room.

BBS = Barbershop, as in singing
BASS = Bad Attitude Self Sustaining
gr = grains
grrrrrr = POed
AGH = a noise of extreme frustration, sometimes with extra A's or H's
FEAR = False Expectations Appearing Real, as in Hillary's chances in 2020
PFM = an answer given by electronics instructor when asked how radio wave propagation works, Pure Fvuckin Magic.
BFO = Blinding Flash of the Obvious
FNG = ****ing New Guy

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top