JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As I recall, there was no info as to whether the virus in the fecal matter was live virus rather than digested fragments. Nor have I seen any documentation of spread by fecal matter. There is lots of documentation of spread by airborne droplets.
What about airborne droplets of fecal matter?

"Prather fears that SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, could enter coastal waters in similar ways and transfer back into the air along the coast."

Ah, there's your problem right there...

I did not suggest hiring more government researchers or spending more money on them. Nor on university researchers either. I suggested eliminating the 1980 law change that has misaligned the interests of publically funded university researchers and the public. That would cost nothing.

My post #18 wasn't directed at you. (If I'm off base...OK, sorry about that.)

So anyway....it's just that some in America have the attitude that money (or more money) spent on a problem will somehow solve that problem. Rrrright......as if America has an unending supply of money to spend on research and other pet project(s) of the elite.

Aloha, Mark

PS...don't get me wrong. If some other country wants to spend money on researching this?

I'd say, "Go for it".

Last Edited:
"digested fragments" of virus? This happens??? I wasn't aware they were eating the damn stuff!!! :eek::eek::eek:

I did not suggest hiring more government researchers or spending more money on them. Nor on university researchers either. I suggested eliminating the 1980 law change that has misaligned the interests of publically funded university researchers and the public.

You did??? I must have missed that. Tell us more....

nc_ohc=1VBhaaST9tYAX-vBwzQ&_nc_ht=scontent.fhio1-1.jpg

If youre breathing and coughing out coronv of course youll also be swallowing some. Id expect them to get destroyed by stomach acid. Unless its designed to survive stomach acid and colonize gut.

In 1980 government passed law that allowed universities ownership of all IP done by university researchers, even if the work was 100% supported by taxpayers through government grants. Research universities now all have huge IP departments that license their inventions to commercial companies, often as exclusive licenses. Usually the university gives a share of the royalties to the faculty inventor. And strongly encourages faculty to focus on developing commercially valuable IP for the university. But university research is funded by taxpayers because its understood that what the public most needs and what is most profitable for a drug company to develop are not necessarily the same thing. Some research creates inherently public goods.

Before the law change, a university medical reseacher got reknown/credit for work that most benefitted humanity. Now they get extra money personally plus promotions and higher salaries and tenure by developing inventions of the sort that companies will license for big money. That is, their motives are exactly the same as those of the researchers that work for the drug companies. And what pays for drug companies isnt curing diseases in ways that are affordable. Or preventing disease. Its ameliorating but not curing diseases in ways that are as expensive as possible.

Well I used to live by Corona Del Mar back in the seventies maybe it's coming from there......

Last Edited:
When I lived on a bay in Bremerton, WA, we would disinfect wounds by soaking in the salt water as kids. Got road rash on your knee or elbow, dunk it in the bay. It seemed to help speed up the healing. Yes, it stung a bit, but a little pain never stopped us.

When I lived on a bay in Bremerton, WA, we would disinfect wounds by soaking in the salt water as kids. Got road rash on your knee or elbow, dunk it in the bay. It seemed to help speed up the healing. Yes, it stung a bit, but a little pain never stopped us.

LOL....we did the same in Hawaii (where I grew up).

But you know something? Today.....we would need a Medical Research Team to prove that it is actually beneficial to soak our body parts in seawater.

Rrrright...... testing. The temp ranges, salinity, microbiological makeup, etc..... So (at Govt expense), I'll go around the world to collect seawater samples at various beaches. And we'll need to send another team (I'll pick them) to double-check my results. Then, we'll have to do this over several years. After all, we need to be scientific. :D

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
An "atmospheric scientist," not a microbiologist, virologist, or epidemiologist. Not an evolutionary biologist, either. Or a biologist of any sort. Straight speculation by someone with no special knowledge of biology, apparently.

Sure, some diseases contaminate water. Such as those that have evolved to spread via water. Cholera, for example, which causes severe diarhea, and spreads through fecal material and contaminated water. If coronav was infecting digestive track and causing diarhea, I'd worry lots more about it spreading through water. As it is, the disease infects lungs and causes coughs. That is, it seems to have evolved to spread through airborne means.

Actually, salt water can denature proteins and nucleic acids. And sun is a potent disinfectant. We will undoubtedly want to investigate all possible modes of transmission, including the less as well as the more likely. But being afraid of catching coronav that has spread by water and has been coughed up by the ocean is gonna be pretty low on my list of things to fear until there are hard data that it matters.

Also, the salt water pH itself is probably sufficient enough to kill the virus, not to mention the dilution.

Where do these people think viruses go when you wash your hands/etc.? Back out into the rivers and into the ocean.

LOL....we did the same in Hawaii (where I grew up).

But you know something? Today.....we would need a Medical Research Team to prove that it is actually beneficial to soak our body pats in seawater.

Saltwater yes, but the ocean is just teaming with microbial life. The salt water may kill a virus/etc. that is on your skin, only to reinfect it with something else.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top