JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is a cold, hard fact about the West that a lot of people who have moved here from elsewhere, or who grew up in the urban Puget Sound environment simply fail to grasp: There are things that can kill you out there other than falls and your own stupidity, which this column mentioned the other day here. Wild animals are called “wild” for a reason, and it’s not just bears and mountain lions that can harm you.

<broken link removed>

Or try this:

<broken link removed>

I'm so sick of everyone laughing at people who carry when they go hiking/camping. It's like unless they personally get attacked by an animal it's crazy talk for thinking it could happen.

I guess the same could be said for any form of defensive firearms carrying though :)

I read Dave's article linked above and followed this link nwhikers.net to a couple threads discussing this incident and the goat problem in the Olympics. I was surprised that the majority of the of the people posting over there are in favor of either shooting some goats to remove the more aggressive ones, re-instill some fear of humans, and reduce the population... or eliminating them all together. I think the majority are in favor of hunting down and killing them all to save the species these non-native animals are wiping out. Not what I expected from a hiking forum. There were a couple posts from PETA types and a hardcore vegan that thinks pulling a carrot out of the ground is murder but I guess we have our wackos too! ;)

Here's my take on this: If you want to go mountain goat hunting in the Olympic National Forest get the hikers and other environmental activists to make it happen! If they band together for this cause *someone* is going to have to shoot 3000 mountain goats.

These things are like Pigeons in a McDonald's parking lot. This picture is several years old but two goats followed us up to the top of Mt Ellinor looking for a hand out. I think their numbers need to be controlled and while there would not be much sport in hunting one I wouldn't mind having a hide.
View attachment 199710

The critter that most people don't consider running into in the woods, and is probably one of the biggest threats, is feral dogs. Either from getting lost or from dumping. They can be really mean and are human savy, & also will pack-up.

It never hurts to be prepared, and if your lucky enough, you will never need to protect yourself from any threats while enjoying the outdoors.

These things are like Pigeons in a McDonald's parking lot. This picture is several years old but two goats followed us up to the top of Mt Ellinor looking for a hand out. I think their numbers need to be controlled and while there would not be much sport in hunting one I wouldn't mind having a hide.
View attachment 199631

Sorry but this has to be one of the stupidest pictures I have ever seen.
Farm goats aren't really that nice and you let a wild billy walk up to you like that?
Good thinking.Maybe you can be next in the news.Then they can close down the hiking for everyone.

Farm goats aren't really that nice and you let a wild billy walk up to you like that?
Good thinking.Maybe you can be next in the news.Then they can close down the hiking for everyone.
Come on man, if your just posting up to talk trash don't start out by saying your "Sorry" I'm not. Man up and say "GRUNDEL YOUR STUPID"!

As for Farm goats, I'm guessing I have not been quite as intimate as yourself, but as a teen I did have to wrestle them when it was time for castrating.

I guess we all assess situations differently and determine what is a threat and what is not. A Mountain Goat is a wild animal and while I respect its power, agility, and the fact that I am basically its house I don't fear them. Just like I don't fear Bear or Cougar. I respect them but don't fear them.

Growing up in Kitsap and Jefferson County I have been hunting, fishing, hiking, and climbing in the Olympics since the 70's. People die in the Olympic Mountains every year from falls, exposure, drowning, and vehicle accidents. While the whole goat attack was tragic it was a freak occurrence.

If your afraid of goats I'm sure I'm not going to change your opinion on this, but to say they will "close down the hiking for everyone". is a bit dramatic don't you think?

That's really one of the stupidest pictures you've ever seen? All's I can say about this is 1.) I'm definitely going to start carrying while hiking or out in the woods and 2.) I don't know how I'm going to leave this crazy world, but if it's at the hands of a psycho billy goat I'm going to be really pissed!

Since I was old enough to do so I have carried in the woods. I have run in to people in the woods that have freaked me out way more than any Goat or scavenging Bear. Bad people hit the woods to hide from the law, dump bodies, look for victims, or even train to kill Americans. If I sound paraniod check out these links. Both stories took place in the woods about 15 minutes (by car) from my house.

<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

I got this from ODFW it's not just the goat's we have to worry about.

Buck deer attacks Oregon resident

October 22, 2010

Pendleton, Ore.&#8212;On October 21, 2010, a buck mule deer attacked Quentin Hinds, 49, of Hermiston, at an Army Corp of Engineer Wildlife Area just below McNary Dam near Umatilla, resulting in injury to the man's leg that required medical treatment. The man, who was bird watching at the wildlife area, apparently got too close to the deer while taking photographs. He was treated and released from a local hospital.

The fall is breeding season for deer in this area, and aggressive behavior by buck deer is quite common. Often referred to as the "rut," males engage in sparring matches and run off other bucks in competition for females (does).

"People should be very cautious this time of year around deer and never approach any wildlife," said Kevin Blakely, ODFW Watershed District Manager. "While there is a lot of interest in viewing deer at this time of year, people should always maintain a safe distance."

ODFW biologists, Oregon State Police Fish and Wildlife Division troopers and Army Corp of Engineer personnel are looking for the deer. Unfortunately, the deer are quite used to human activity on the wildlife area, which has several popular fishing ponds, and the individual deer will have to be removed to prevent any incidents in the future.

Grundel,what you are doing here by being so brave and experienced in the woods is jeopardizing less experienced people.

You have interacted with the goat.Now the goat is less afraid of people.Every time some brave soul stands still and lets them come close,the thing is getting more tame.

So now it come up behind a person that isn't as brave and the person freak out.And the goat ram him.

Being so brave and experienced,I would think you would have tried to scare the thing off,so it doesn't like people.

Then we wouldn't have these problems.

The more we interact with these animals the more problems we will have,and more animals will have to be put down.

mjbskwim, you are making a valid point in regards to human interactions with theses animals making them less afraid of humans. That I will say I am guilty of. That goat pictured was not at all afraid of humans and we were forced to post guard on our Packs while it was in the area.

As for your repeated compliments on my “experience and bravery” I am truly flattered. ;) Thank you.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top