JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
From the "ripple effect" file

Olympia disarms open carriers in hearings; 'smart gun' event misfires

Washington State House and Senate officials announced yesterday that the ban on open carry has been extended to include all public hearings in legislative office buildings, the Associated Press and Seattle Times reported.

<broken link removed>

There's something missing from the Workman article, which is present in the printed Thursday January 29th edition of "The Olympian", which I will quote her:

"Kit Lange, a Lake Stevens gun rights activist who runs a blog called 'The Patrick Henry Society,' said in a posting last week that opponents will protest the public gallery rules at the Capitol on Feb. 7. In a post titled 'An Open Letter to the Washington State Patrol,' she said they want no fight, but we will not comply'".

The Olympian is referencing a specific posting at http://www.patrickhenrysociety.com/ I had not seen this blog until today. It is a mixture of pro-gun editorializing, pro-freedom editorializing, and anti-SAF editorializing. The anti-SAF editorializing was insufficiently effective to cause me to cancel my SAF membership. The protest of public gallery rules is insufficient to cause me to march into the gallery with my M1A. However, it does remind me of the need to get me letters out to the legislature and WSP with questions to the specifics of how they will conduct "transfers" when I attempt to drop off my M1A and backpack, prior to entering the gallery.

Last Edited:
Maybe next time someone will "instruct" the "open carry advocates" not to enter government buildings with their rifles at the ready and wearing gas masks.

Its a lifestyle and needs to be treated as such..

Tell thugs they cant wear baggy pants, tell metro sexuals no tight jeans, gays/trans..etc they cannot express themselves.. There is no difference.

An irrational fear of one thing does not make it just.

THAT IS THE POINT OF OCing.
Its self expression and living a defensive lifestyle.
If the arguement is "weapons" tally how many guys walk in there with pocket knives exposed via the little clip outside of the pocket.

If an indevidual wanted, they could kill quite a few folks with a single knife with minimal training and the element of surprise.. Like you could with nearly anything else. Firearm, knife, blunt object..

OC'ers are their own worst enemy. IMO if ya want to carry then get a CHL/CPL or whatever your state wants to call it. Open carrying is just asking for confrontation and makes gun owners look bad. The Patrick Henry society is a bunch of lunatics!
At least the SAF is attempting to deflate 594 which is more than any other organization had done.

A right not exercised is a right lost.

The only reason they ban things is because they had not previously thought about it.
Sig arm brace
Slide fire type stocks (its predecessor)
Solid projctiles
5.7 ammo
Rifle caliber pistols
Folding stocks
Etc .. You name it.

Luckily they are the most unimaginative group.. however they will ban anything once somebody gets it in their head, our duty is to refuse to comply and prove its due to irrational fear.

Once its OCing of firearms, then it'll be knives.. Once its knives then it'll be the fact that we have to lock them up, beyond that it'll just keep going.. This is what they do no matter the excuse as to why. Secret shame firearm owners are our own worst enemy. See the divide they create amongst us?

Its their plan at work. Instead of sticking together you all point the finger of blame THOUGH they've proposed this type of action YEARS before.. Derp.

The anti-SAF editorializing was insufficiently effective to cause me to cancel my SAF membership.

The Patrick Henry society is a bunch of lunatics!

I'm an SAF life member, but I think Gottlieb's calling these people "extremists" -- like Classic's calling them "lunatics" -- is not helpful to our cause, either. As people elsewhere have said, we should be looking for ways to work together, not driving wedges between us. If certain OCers were handling their firearms in an unsafe manner, then Gottlieb's calling them "stupid" is deserved, but calling them "extremists" because they espouse a more free society than your view deserves an apology.

"OC'ers are their own worst enemy."

That is a generalization that isn't supported by any evidence. According to media reports, it was OCers who did a whole lot of things IN ADDITION TO OCing that got them in trouble. The additional things included:

Cycling the actions (i.e. making a visible display of loading their weapons).
Handling firearms in unsafe manners.
Creating verbal disruptions in the gallery, in addition to the Capitol steps while other speakers were attempting to criticize I-594.
Grandstanding for the media by holding up their long guns in the gallery.
Wearing a gas mask for visual effect.

All above are not a general practice of open carry. Open carry as practiced by most people is carrying a pistol in a holster while going about one's business (and not acting like a jerk in front of the media).

OC is one thing and walking around with your hand on the trigger guard of your slund AR pistol with a mad max look going on is another.
That guy was just idiotic running around like that.And had I thought that those kinds wouldn't be there like they were I may have gone.But if you think I'm putting myself with some of the idiots pictured,and being associated with those people,you would be wrong
Sure,sure 'A right not exercised is a right lost' but be reasonable about it.
Do any of you like other peoples' rights pushed down your throat? Heck like I said in the other thread,I would drop that guy if he came to my place carrying like that.Some people that open carry scare me.

Last Edited:
I recall some pictures during some of the early gay rights parades. There were men wearing little more than tutus, and some guys wearing azzless chaps with their bare behinds hanging out. It was certainly within their rights to express themselves, but it sure didn't do anything to make me want to agree with their cause.

We have to win hearts and minds and educate people as to what responsible firearm ownership looks like. Scaring the crap out of people doesn't help. Walking around with your AR at the low ready scares the crap out of lots of uninformed people.....and a few of us informed people as well.

OC is a right, and I support that right - make no mistake. But, we're in the fight of our lives here and we have to be smarter and out think the opposition.....not give them fodder to use against us.

A right not exercised is a right lost.

The only reason they ban things is because they had not previously thought about it.
Sig arm brace
Slide fire type stocks (its predecessor)
Solid projctiles
5.7 ammo
Rifle caliber pistols
Folding stocks
Etc .. You name it.

Luckily they are the most unimaginative group.. however they will ban anything once somebody gets it in their head, our duty is to refuse to comply and prove its due to irrational fear.

Once its OCing of firearms, then it'll be knives.. Once its knives then it'll be the fact that we have to lock them up, beyond that it'll just keep going.. This is what they do no matter the excuse as to why. Secret shame firearm owners are our own worst enemy. See the divide they create amongst us?

Its their plan at work. Instead of sticking together you all point the finger of blame THOUGH they've proposed this type of action YEARS before.. Derp.

There are already fake 2nd amendment activists that try to get 'safe storage laws passed' and a bunch of fools on here tout how great he is and then give him more money lol

http://gunowners.org/op9803.htm

OC is one thing and walking around with your hand on the trigger guard of your slund AR pistol with a mad max look going on is another..... ,I would drop that guy if he came to my place carrying like that.Some people that open carry scare me.

But if he had a uniform on you would drop to your knees, right?

James Madison and Thomas Jefferson would be proud.

The problem isn't the OCing itself . It is the way these morons conducted themselves.
True, there are guys that dress like they are from the matrix, hand on the firearms grip and toting it around like they are billy badass.. Those are not OC'ers in my eyes.. Almost false flag types.. Guys who I've OC'd with boarder on RO type safety and we dress the part as well.. Not getting into what people should and shouldnt wear but camo and trench coats are not the way to go. I tuck my shirt in, wear a smile on my face and am as calm, polite and articulate as I can be. (Think mormon attire)

Half the guys bring their families as well,
Kids and wife.. Usually peoples perspectives change when they see a guy OCing his pistol with his family around..

Sheep are stupid.. So looks/presentation does matter.

I agree there are some idiots OCing.. But nit picking every OC'er isnt doing anyone any good.. And honestly Ive never met those OCing that are like the idiots in these articles that give ALL of us a bad name so I can only assume its false flag propaganda.

It's not a false flag, it's a group of attention seeking idiots who seem to think that carrying an A/R or AK or whatever on a single-point sling, hands on the pistol grip and fingers on the trigger guard should be "normalized." People who think working the action of a loaded firearm in the gallery of the legislature is safe or appropriate behavior.

Every cause has a few fools on the fringes. We have ours just like Mom's Demand Action has their "special flowers."

The difference is that "our" fools actually scare the crap out of people normally ON OUR SIDE. They seem to not care a bit about the consequences of these acts and are immune to all experience and knowledge you try to share with them about how counter-productive their actions are.

We're trying to get actual progress on this issue, they are trying to get attention and feel important.

To be clear, I don't like seeing COPS carrying longarms in low-ready unless they're responding to a crime. There's no reason to do that. We're not living in Fallujah. I didn't like it when the Polizei did it in Germany, I dont' like it when I see special branch guards in front of Parliment doing it. It's intimidating, it's off-putting and it's inherently more dangerous a holstered pistol because it requires handling of a loaded longarm with no drop-safety when surrounded by people.

Compound that with the unsafe gun handling that was going on? Yeah, no kidding they banned O/C. We can thank providence fortunate that no AD's happened. It surely wasn't the result of proper gun safety.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top