JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Recently acquired a STG58 carbine
MY first FAL, doing my research but it,s a case of the more I learn the less I know.
It,s a DSA and the warranty card is stamped MAR 11 2002
I've put in a request for information to DSA and joined Falfiles but it wont let me post.
I've known the original owner since purchased new. only 120 rounds fired and looks like new.
Curious about value and history

Welcome to the forum!

Maybe post up your question in the general firearm area or rifle discussion.
Post up some detailed photos of it and we can tell you all about it.

Welcome! Moved the thread to the rifle section, where I'm sure you'll find the info you're looking for.

Dsa still makes these, used they bring anywhere from $850-$1200 or so. Really depends on overall condition. Barrel length? Scope mount? Bipod?

Pictures help allot here!;)

Pictures.

Why?

DSA has been making (assembling) FALs for a while. They have imported parts and assembled the parts onto their receivers. The top receiver is the ser# part. Anyway, I'd be guessing to say that your rifle from that time period might have been assembled on an IMBEL (Brazil) receiver. I'm not sure if IMBEL marked them especially for DSA. The parts kit may have been from an STG 58 (Austria). The metal front handguards and flash hider are a distinctive feature with those kits. But, DSA might have used their own flash hider and handguards just for the looks.

BTW, I also prefer the real FN-FAL look. But, what's that exactly? Well, perhaps it's like what we used to see in SOF magazine? Or perhaps it's more like the original Belgium FN-FAL? Even I was tempted to change out my flash hider in my younger days.

Then, remember those South African rifles? For awhile South African builds were popular too. Note that the flash hiders were also grenade launchers.

Anyway, the original FN-FALs, STG 58, and South African rifles were metric. The UK and India are the biggest Inch Pattern users.

BUT....as I said I'm GUESSING w/o pictures.

Then again, buying a receiver and assembling your own kit was also popular. Getting the headspace isn't an easy task and most left that job to a pro with the right tools. One of the best builders was/is Arizona Response.

The good news is......

Metric and Inch Magazines are more easily obtainable now a days. Well, when compared to when I made the purchase of my Steyr FN-FAL.

The bible on FALs is that very expensive book "FAL-The Right Arm of the Free World." It makes for some excellent reading on the subject.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
The bible on FALs is that very expensive book "FAL-The Right Arm of the Free World." It makes for some excellent reading on the subject.

Aloha, Mark

This is the definitive book on FALs - at least until after he wrote it. There may have been others since, but this is what I turn to.

FAL Rifle: v. 1-3: R.Blake Stevens, Jean E.Van Rutten: 9780889351684: Amazon.com: Books (https://www.amazon.com/FAL-Rifle-1-3-R-Blake-Stevens/dp/0889351686)
51qsoawR2VL._SX394_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads