JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Most black bear encounters are probably similar as they are inquisitive by nature but are typically not aggressive and are usually gone before they are seen.

Mine happened as I was walking into an open area and the sun was coming up and I saw what looked like an odd shadow near a stump so I walked closer to it and at about 30 or so feet the 'shadow' stood up!

It wasn't very big maybe stood only about 5' tall but it appeared as surprised at me as I was of it !

I slowly backed off and after several steps back it dropped down on all fours and moved off.
Usually black bears see, hear, or smell you before you know they are there unless you have a dog. "My" bear didn't smell my dog and me because of the cross breeze and couldn't see us because of the thicket. And couldn't hear us 'cause we weren't making noise and it was.

I once had a coyote nearly run into me on a game trail once, though. In broad daylight. Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness. My dog had gone after a rabbit and was yipping loudly. The coyote came around a bend in the trail about ten feet ahead of me at a full gallop, and actually had to dodge off the path to avoid running into me. It missed me by only about a foot. I think the coyote thought my dog's yipping meant an injured animal that could be a coyote lunch. Woulda been a big mistake as to who would have been whose lunch.

Hello folks. I've been on NWFA since 2018. Been shooting since I was five. I especially like handguns. Most especially DA revolvers from SW, Colt, and Ruger in .357 and 44 mag.

Carol
You're one of the people I truly enjoy here. :)

I just checked and it's been a little over 10 years since I joined NWFA. Lots of good times and discussions. I've also been shooting since pre-school. Fly fishing too.

JohnDadFish - 1.jpg

I too like SW, Colt, and Ruger. Own several of them. Just bought a Ruger Single Six and can't wait to try it out.
GunInv2021RugerSS22-1.jpg

Anyway, glad to see you are here.

Coyotes are odd animals and can exhibit some really wierd behavior.

Many years ago while calling in some 'yotes a friend and I were leaning back against an old rock wall that was made for some reason in the area we were in.

It was winter with snow on the ground and as we were waiting quietly after a call we heard steps crunching in the snow on the other side of the wall!

Obviously a 'yote as it was pacing back and forth in the snow. It kept this up for a while but never came around and eventually left.

Another time while camping outside of Sisters we had 'yotes pacing around our campsite at night and not being particularly wary or quiet. They would come up to within about 15 feet in the brush and yip and screech and run off.

They kept this up most of the evening while we sat around the fire and figured they were pizzed that we camped in an area they had 'claimed' !

Last Edited:
Hey @Andy54Hawken -- Are you the one who takes an incredible collection of muzzle loaders to gun shows and takes photos of them and tempts people like me into lustful thoughts? If so, why not post a pic here so those not already familiar will see what I mean?

Last Edited:
Hey @Andy54Hawken -- Are you the one who takes an incredible collection of muzzle loaders to gun shows and takes photos of them and tempts people like me into lustful thoughts? If so, why not post a pic here so those not already familiar will see what I mean?
Yep...guilty as charged....:D
Here are some pictures...
Andy
DSC05463.jpg

DSC06834.jpg

DSC06041.jpg

DSC06619 (1).jpg

Ooh, ahh, moan, whimper!!! You're killing me! They're just gorgeous.
I gotta have one of those!

Ooh, ahh, moan, whimper!!! You're killing me! They're just gorgeous.
I gotta have one of those!
Well they are out there waiting for you...:D

All of the ones pictured are antiques....except for the two handguns.
One is a Colt 2nd Generation Dragoon and the pistol is one that I made from spare parts that I had...some of which are old...and some are newish.

Here is below is a favorite of those who see my display .
It is a antique Leman Trade rifle circa late 1830's or so...
Its a .50 caliber rifle with a full maple stock.
Andy
DSC06789.jpg

DSC06792.jpg

DSC06796.jpg

Hello folks. I've been on NWFA since 2018. Been shooting since I was five. I especially like handguns. Most especially DA revolvers from SW, Colt, and Ruger in .357 and 44 mag.

Carol
Carol, nice to meet you. It is a great group.

One is a Colt 2nd Generation Dragoon and the pistol is one that I made from spare parts that I had...some of which are old...and some are newish.

Its a .50 caliber rifle with a full maple

Andy
View attachment 854839

View attachment 854840

View attachment 854842
Wow. What a beauty! Maybe after Covid is over I can find out what shows you're going to so I can see your collection.

Andy
View attachment 854839

View attachment 854840

View attachment 854842
Part of the appeal for me would be the slow contemplative loading. That's one thing I like about my revolvers--loading them. I really dislike loading magazines. Its work. Loading a revolver for me is a Zen act. I'm thinking loading a muzzle loader would have even more of that contemplative Zen feel to it.

Gorgeous collection of blackpowder firearms @Andy54Hawken. This one, with such artistry always catches my eye:

dsc06619-1-jpg.854815

:)
That is a favorite of mine...
It was made in St. Louis by F.E. Seiferth ( so marked ) circa late 1840's - 1850's.
.50 caliber half stock sporting rifle ( Plains Rifle ) ...it was won a few rifle matches for me as well as getting a deer.
Andy

Part of the appeal for me would be the slow contemplative loading. That's one thing I like about my revolvers--loading them. I really dislike loading magazines. Its work. Loading a revolver for me is a Zen act. I'm thinking loading a muzzle loader would have even more of that contemplative Zen feel to it.
Yes a "Zen feel" is a excellent term for shooting a muzzle loader.
Once you get into your "shooting groove"....you can do some amazing shooting , without much thought.

That said....
Remember Powder , patch , then round ball....
otherwise your shooting groove will become your cussing groove... :eek: :D
Andy

Great having you here. I'm really liking how this feature is causing everyone to engage.

Hope to see you at a Trash No Land cleanup sometime.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top