JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hello folks. I've been on NWFA since 2018. Been shooting since I was five. I especially like handguns. Most especially DA revolvers from SW, Colt, and Ruger in .357 and 44 mag.

Carol

Welcome Carol. Happy you are with us still/again???
I snuck in quietly. Everyone seems to be introducing or reintroducing themselves, so why not? I've been having fun here. Lots of good info. Plenty of gun humor. Plenty of good-natured irreverence. Down side: have started lusting after a black powder rifle.

"Down side"...? :eek: :D

Think of it more as , a opening into a world full of experiences that you didn't know existed....:D

Glad to see that you here...and if you have any questions regarding muzzle loaders , I'd be happy to help.
Andy
Yeah. I know. That's part of the problem. Right now I don't have anywhere close by to shoot. I dream of a small farm where I could shoot in my back yard. If I manage to pull that off, I'll probably celebrate by getting a black powder rifle. Then I'm sure I'll have many questions.

Yeah. I know. That's part of the problem. Right now I don't have anywhere close by to shoot. I dream of a small farm where I could shoot in my back yard. If I manage to pull that off, I'll probably celebrate by getting a black powder rifle. Then I'm sure I'll have many questions.
You live in Po'tland, right? Go ahead and shoot . Po-po no show.:D:rolleyes:

You live in Po'tland, right? Go ahead and shoot . Po-po no show.:D:rolleyes:
I live a few miles north of Corvallis. Near enough to McDonald forest so we have a neighborhood resident cougar, and I had to chase away a black bear that came into my yard after my ducks. It ignored my powerful flashlight beam. But when I put a shot into the ground next to it with Buddy, my trusty SW 686 snubby EDC with Crimson trace laser grips, the bear ran off so fast it was as if it evaporated. It apparently had no fear of humans with flashlights, but plenty of fear of humans with guns. I was shooting from the second floor of my house, at night, through a window I kept the screen off of for duck flock protection. (Neighbors don't mind the occasional shot for predator control. Actual practice is out.) Too bad it wasn't bear hunting season and I had no bear license. That would have been the easiest hunt ever. Fast asleep in my bed at home one minute. Male ducks sound the alarm. At the window with Buddy the next moment. The bear was only about 20 yards from the house. The bear never came back.

In the beam of a flashlight, black bear eyes look huge.

Nobody minds the resident cougar. Everyone in this neighborhood has guns. So we would take her out if she started being rude, such as stalking people, for example. But she stays hidden in daytime and has never bothered us humans. And we have a much reduced overpopulation of deer since she joined the neighborhood. We know she is a lady cougar 'cause she raised a couple of cubs one year.

In the beam of a flashlight, black bear eyes look huge.
Wait until you are out hunting (deer) and happen to walk up on a bear you didn't notice, and it didn't see you coming as well! We surprised each other!

Down side: have started lusting after a black powder rifle.
No down side at all! Once you settle on what you want, get the basics down it's a lot of fun - and surprisingly relaxing.

IMG_1874.JPG

Last Edited:
Wait until you are out hunting (deer) and happen to walk up on a bear you didn't notice, and it didn't see you coming as well! We surprised each other!
I surprised a bear just like that once when hiking with my chow-cross bubblegum. (Female dog). I was about 22 feet from a berry patch on a logging road during berry season. There was a cross wind. Suddenly there was heavy rustling in the berry patch. My dog quietly moved into position between me and the noise. I drew my 6-inch Ruger Security Six. Suddenly a black bear appeared on our side of the thicket. It froze. My dog, a mere 12 feet from the bear, also froze, silent, her ears all the way forward. Behind the dog, I stood, also totally silent, the gun aimed at the bear. We stood that way for a good thirty seconds that seemed like forever. Then the bear vanished back into the thicket. The dog chased the bear, yelping happily. I yelled "out" and she dropped the attack and came back promptly. How the bear managed to move around in that thicket was a puzzle. There weren't any game trails in it except for rabbit-sized ones.

It was clear that because of the cross breeze, my dog had not known what was in the thicket. My guess was a bull elk. Chow chows were bred originally in part for bear-baiting. And my dog reacted differently to bear scent or sign than anything else. She would try to quietly herd me out of the area! The first time this happened I was irritated by her standing in my way and reprimanded her. Her ears went out sideways and her lips scrunched up, a pained expression that said, "Sorry. I have to do this. It's my job." Realizing suddenly there was a serious problem of some sort, I looked around. Across the road ahead of me were huge fresh bear tracks in a muddy patch. I praised my dog and used the words "bear" and "danger" so as to add to her vocabulary. And I turned back and went another way to reward her for her alertness, and her correct judgement call in overriding me on something that was her department.

That dog understood more than 800 words or phrases, including very sophisticated stuff such as "Check it out!" (Run the perimeter.); "Go take a quick p1ss and come right back." And "You may have some but you must wait." (She would go off and lie down, confident she would get her share when it was ready and cool.) And "Run ahead." and "Follow." The latter two used when walking on narrow game trails.

Last Edited:
Most black bear encounters are probably similar as they are inquisitive by nature but are typically not aggressive and are usually gone before they are seen.

Mine happened as I was walking into an open area and the sun was coming up and I saw what looked like an odd shadow near a stump so I walked closer to it and at about 30 or so feet the 'shadow' stood up!

It wasn't very big maybe stood only about 5' tall but it appeared as surprised at me as I was of it !

I slowly backed off and after several steps back it dropped down on all fours and moved off.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top