JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Alrighty then. Don't forget the "lowly" (hard-cast by end-user most often) "pumpkin ball".. they are generally heavier than the commonest slugs, weighing about 1 3/8 oz and are hard and solid. lol
And rifled bores are in actual fact cylinder bore.. but are rifled.. and a cylinder bore is cylinder bore but not rifled. just saying.. once again
What if you were to cast some of those, with a piece of ribbon embedded into the ball, so when shot, it would act like the tail of a kite.
I wonder how much accuracy would improve?........hmmm...

In other words, show me a rifled bore that is not a cylinder bore. oof

No. The two terms, rifled and cylinder bore are not used in conjuction with each other as barrel descriptors. The conjuntive, "cylinder bore", is used in shotgun parlance to describe a smoothbore barrel bereft of choke constriction.

As you said: "...a cylinder bore is cylinder bore but not rifled."

Also, as late as the "War for Southern Independence", the caliber of a rifled firearm was based on the land to land measurement, (or the inside diameter of the bore prior to rifling). However, with the dawn of the metalic cartridge era, the caliber of rifled arms was based on the groove to groove diameter. Which is why conversions of the .36 cap & ball revolver were chambered for 38 caliber rimfire and centerfire cartridges.

Last Edited:
.38 cal is still called .38 cal., because early cartridge fired bullets were the same diameter as the cartridge itself (its known as an outside lubed bullet).
When they started building bullets to the inside dimension of the cartridges, the bullet's size shrank to .356", or rounded off to ".36 cal".

Dean

No. The two terms, rifled and cylinder bore are not used in conjuction with each other as barrel descriptors. The conjuntive, "cylinder bore", is used in shotgun parlance to describe a smoothbore barrel bereft of choke constriction.

As you said: "...a cylinder bore is cylinder bore but not rifled."

Also, as late as the "War for Southern Independence", the caliber of a rifled firearm was based on the land to land measurement, (or the inside diameter of the bore prior to rifling). However, with the dawn of the metalic cartridge era, the caliber of rifled arms was based on the groove to groove diameter. Which is why conversions of the .36 cap & ball revolver were chambered for 38 caliber rimfire and centerfire cartridges.
Well there you go!

What if you were to cast some of those, with a piece of ribbon embedded into the ball, so when shot, it would act like the tail of a kite.
I wonder how much accuracy would improve?........hmmm...
Me too but generally RB's shoot as accurately but hit much harder than foster slugs out to fifty yards.

.38 cal is still called .38 cal., because early cartridge fired bullets were the same diameter as the cartridge itself (its known as an outside lubed bullet).
When they started building bullets to the inside dimension of the cartridges, the bullet's size shrank to .356", or rounded off to ".36 cal".

Dean

Indeed so! That is why the 38 special can be used in 357 Magnum revolvers.

Back when the world was new, there was an older fellow in the hunting club I belonged to who contended that 00B was 38 caliber because they "just barely fit" into a fired 38 special case. He must have thought this young wipersnapper was nuts when I said the 38 Special actually used the same bullet size as the 357 Magnum, so naturally a 00B pellet (nominally .33") would easily slide into the fired case of either caliber! :confused:

Back when the world was new, there was an older fellow in the hunting club I belonged to who contended that 00B was 38 caliber because they "just barely fit" into a fired 38 special case. He must have thought this young wipersnapper was nuts when I said the 38 Special actually used the same bullet size as the 357 Magnum, so naturally a 00B pellet (nominally .33") would easily slide into the fired case of either caliber! :confused:
"Back when the world was new..." LOL! :s0140:

So did you start a thread.. nermind

Me too but generally RB's shoot as accurately but hit much harder than foster slugs out to fifty yards.
This is like the Arizona Rangers all over again. They preferred the .38-40, because it shot harder.
Could you please define "harder"?
I can't see how a round ball, made for a 12 ga., could be any more effective than a Foster slug for a 12 ga., given both slugs moving at the same (or at least, close to the same) speed.

This is like the Arizona Rangers all over again. They preferred the .38-40, because it shot harder.
I can't see how a round ball, made for a 12 ga., could be any more effective than a Foster slug for a 12 ga., given both slugs moving at the same (or at least, close to the same) speed.
? RB @ 1 3/8oz. that's wtf rocket speak

I have found that the best round balls for a Colt 1851 Navy revolver ( mine , original from 1863 )
are either .375 or .380 in size....for what it is worth...:D
Andy

Andy,

Back when your Colt Navy was new, the ten bore front loader was also a favorite with Southern Cavalerie for reasons largely forgotten today.

Western #1 Buckshot (.380") was a highly popular 19th century buckshot size in 10 gauge shotguns of the muzzleloading and early cartridge era. This certainly made sense, onsidering the popularity of the 1851 Colt Navy revolver and the fact that it too used the .380 lead ball.

"0000B" is a modern construct used by many who handload 10 gauge shells with hard cast .380" lead pellets. This size, while not the largest buckshot pellet size, is not currently loaded in any commercial shotshell ammunition.

By the way, 00B and Western #3 Buckshot are the same size. This is why WWI vets from the Western states often called military buckshot cartridges of the era "three buck" loads.

Image: Vintage 1922-1934 Remington Nitro-Club. The over-shot wad identifies load as Eastern 0B and Western 4B.

4B Western  0B Eastern.jpg

Last Edited:

Reality: Foster slugs as currently manufactured* are simply big soft lead thimbles with a dimple on top the marketing folks like to call a hollow point. These slugs pass readily through virtually any choke due to a reduced diameter nose an any bore size sections are hollow. The "hollow point" was added as a marketing gimmick by RemFedChester back in the 1980s. In reality this results in the center of the slug blowing through on impact leaving a "ring" of lead and limited penetration.

The slug remnants shown below were recovered from a doe taken at approximately 20 yards with a 3" Remington one ounce "hollow point" rifled slug. The three inch Remington Slugger is rated at 1700 fps from an industry standard 30 inch test barrel.

The high tech 21st century sighting system used to place this shot consisted of a high visability circular metal bead on a long slightly elevated flat sighting plane affixed to a 26 inch smoothbore barrel.

rem3inchslug1tn1_th.jpg

Even soft lead spheres,(round balls), are solid all the way through and thus deform less and penetrate more.

*Federal's recently added Deep Penetrator rifled slug is an exception made with a higher antimony content and a thicker nose section, sans hollowpoint, resulting in significantly greater penetration than other Foster type rifled slugs.

Last Edited:
How can a round ball be heavier than a Foster slug, given both made of the same lead alloy?
A foster slug is a round ball with a skirt, it has to be heavier.....wtf, over?
A 12 bore round ball should be around 1 1/3 ounces, and most slugs are under 1 1/4 ounces they are more like a hemisphere with a skirt.

How can a round ball be heavier than a Foster slug, given both made of the same lead alloy?
A foster slug is a round ball with a skirt, it has to be heavier.....wtf, over?

This is why:

foster slug.jpg

Yes, Foster Slugs, aka Rifled Slugs, are essentially hollow and nose heavy. Think of a Lead Thimble.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top