JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a suggestion thread. If you like the idea, use the up arrow to the right of the first post to upvote. Suggestions with more votes get higher priority.
Reactions
On some forums I frequent, threads over a certain age are flagged with a warning in the reply box that must be clicked on for confirmation before being able to post a reply. Given how many old threads I've seen dug up here recently, perhaps this would be a good feature to implement?

Here is an example:

1667849303519.png

That particular forum also uses XenForo, so it's possibly just a plugin that needs to be installed.

If Joe could do this I would like it. I have often posted in one that until people started poking fun at it had not noticed it was one of the back from the dead threads. Never bothered me to see them if it was something I was reading and posting along with but it does seem to really bother some.

Revived old threads don't bother me a bit. In fact some have good enough content that I'm happy someone brought them to the surface, otherwise I would have missed them.

I don't understand why it bothers some folks so much.

I often post on revived threads because I think the subject is perennially useful, and there will be many interested in participating whether the OP is engaged now or not .

If an old thread contains information that would be duplicated in the new thread, what purpose would that serve?
The step that @Nosferatu suggests wouldn't be a big deal, but would it really matter? Personally I enjoy the old thread revivals.

It's a heads-up.
It doesn't deny posting in the thread.
Best of both worlds ?
That is true. But not being a computer program writer I have no idea if it's an easy thing, or a difficult thing to implement.

I think it's a waste of time/effort, but @Nosferatu proposed it and it's worth talking about. Wouldn't be the first time in my life I was in the minority. :D

I say let it be. What's the harm in reviving an old thread, unless it's for something irrelevant like responding to a help request that was answered earlier. .

Some people too busy to ignore a thread after figuring out that it's ancient?

I like it.
Noobs sometimes revive an old thread when they should have started a new one.
Maybe the warning would help educate someone new to forums ?
Only problem with that is some of the old timers come down on them for doing so (I cannot exclude myself from teasing them though) without "doing a search" first. In my experience the search function leaves a
LOT to be desired here. I think a kind warning is a good thing too, as well as some compassion. I've had members come down pretty hard on me for not searching first but I had searched every way possible and all the results were irrelevant.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top