JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So here’s a project I’ve been working on for a while, and I finally got all of the “stuff” together at the gun show today. Meet my “old school” AR-15. It’s built on a Superior Arms lower with a Olympic lower parts kit. The pistol grip and buttstock are M16 GI. I assembled the lower myself. The upper is an old A1 upper with a Colt barrel I came across at the show today. The bolt and carrier assembly are a chrome Young bolt and carrier. Now all I need is a 60’s vintage sling and I’m ready to rock and roll!

arsixteenside1.jpg

arsixteenside2.jpg

You need a Colt 20 round mag like Dan said.

the proper one for the Model 603 clone you built will be marked .223, not 5.56.

You may want to invest on a partial fence Nodak Spud receiver to give it a more authentic look.

I can sell you an original 603 sling for $10
I also have an original flat slip-ring for $10 that would be accurate for that rifle.

what are the barrel markings on the right side between the front sight base and behind the flash hider?

Great looking build.

You're right - I forgot the 20 round mags... I'll have to dig some up...

I'll take the sling! :D Let me know when you want to get together.

I agree, the receiver is inaccurate - if I can find a better receiver, I'll do a rebuild because I do have a spare lower parts kit... :D

Markings on the barrel: C MP CHROME BORE

I knew coctailer would have some good input :D

Nice build!

Thanks!

My wife always laughs at me when I'm putting together a lower... when I'm tapping in the bolt release roll pin I use my feet to hold the receiver... She accuses me of having monkey toes... of course it looks like my son inherited them... :D

With all the parts out there you can build just about any variation of the M-16. I had no idea that the retro look was so popular. This is not even close to some I've seen, but it closely resembles what I carried back in 68-69. For the life of me I can't remember what kind of sling I had on it. I want to say it was an M14/M1G type, but I don't remember. Old age sucks!
retro02.jpg

I have an extra gi triangular hand guard and old grip if anyone is interested.

With all the parts out there you can build just about any variation of the M-16. I had no idea that the retro look was so popular. This is not even close to some I've seen, but it closely resembles what I carried back in 68-69. For the life of me I can't remember what kind of sling I had on it. I want to say it was an M14/M1G type, but I don't remember. Old age sucks!
retro02.jpg

I have an extra gi triangular hand guard and old grip if anyone is interested.

Nice one!!!

I don't know if the retro thing is a recent phenomenon or not, but it does seem to be “the thing” at this point.

...variation of the M-16. I had no idea that the retro look was so popular. This is not even close to some I've seen, but it closely resembles what I carried back in 68-69. For the life of me I can't remember what kind of sling I had on it. I want to say it was an M14/M1G type, but I don't remember. Old age sucks!

Yep, it looks like what I was issued, too. The sling we had did not have the slide as in this picture, but rather a clasp buckle that opened/closed on the sling with hand pressure, and opened rather easily if you inadvertently pulled on the sling which of course sent your rifle to the ground if you couldn't catch it fast enough. Makes me nostalgic just thinking about it :) NAW!!!!!!

I didn't think the old ARs had forward assists, but I know they didn't have the deflector and that raised strip around the magazine release. Shows how much I know about the history of the AR.

The forward assist was added as an Army beurocratic requirement in the early 60s.

Not from necessity.

The Airforce was the first branch of the military to be issued the M16. They never saw a need for forward assist. this was the original Eugene Stoner design.

Before the Army would adopt it as their battle rifle. They wanted a manual way to close the bolt.

The Airforce said "We don't need no stinkin' forward assist"

Therefore Cold manufactured them with AND without the forward assist throughout the 60s and into the 70s.

...variation of the M-16. I had no idea that the retro look was so popular. This is not even close to some I've seen, but it closely resembles what I carried back in 68-69. For the life of me I can't remember what kind of sling I had on it. I want to say it was an M14/M1G type, but I don't remember. Old age sucks!

Yep, it looks like what I was issued, too. The sling we had did not have the slide as in this picture, but rather a clasp buckle that opened/closed on the sling with hand pressure, and opened rather easily if you inadvertently pulled on the sling which of course sent your rifle to the ground if you couldn't catch it fast enough. Makes me nostalgic just thinking about it :) NAW!!!!!!

That's what I kind of recall, a cotton canvas sling that had the metal hook at the butt and the metal clasp to secure it.
That is what is on current M1A's, not sure about the length, I guess I need to pull on off my M1A and try it out;)

One of 2 I have, the sling is an OD nylon M14 sling, the scope is a NcStar Colt clone.Basic upper is all Colt, lower is Olympic. I'm keeping with the 604 theme on this one, it allows more leeway on components. I want to do a 603 with my other one, so I need a smooth bolt carrier and want to get an NDS slabside lower for it. It's also running an Oly at this time.

AR002.jpg

I also have a dedicated .22, using an Olympic C7 style upper, Ameetec 9mm marked lower, A1 grip, handguards, and butt, with a FN pencil barrel in 1-12 twist and a three prong FH. I plugged the gas port in the FSB and am using an M261 conversion kit with Black Dog mags. I put the original 10 rd mag insert into a Colt 20 rd. mag for the original look. I'll get pics on that one at a later date.

One of 2 I have, the sling is an OD nylon M14 sling, the scope is a NcStar Colt clone.Basic upper is all Colt, lower is Olympic. I'm keeping with the 604 theme on this one, it allows more leeway on components. I want to do a 603 with my other one, so I need a smooth bolt carrier and want to get an NDS slabside lower for it. It's also running an Oly at this time.

AR002.jpg

I also have a dedicated .22, using an Olympic C7 style upper, Ameetec 9mm marked lower, A1 grip, handguards, and butt, with a FN pencil barrel in 1-12 twist and a three prong FH. I plugged the gas port in the FSB and am using an M261 conversion kit with Black Dog mags. I put the original 10 rd mag insert into a Colt 20 rd. mag for the original look. I'll get pics on that one at a later date.

Very nice!!!!

I've got to pick up a couple of those early magazines...

AR002.jpg

604s had a partial fence lower.

The slab sided lowers were only found on the 601 and 602.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top