Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Old Reloads

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by bigNtall, Dec 20, 2009.

1. bigNtall

bigNtall Ridgefield, WA Member

I was recently given some old 30-06 rounds about 120 rounds. Upon closer inspection they are reloads. There are a couple of boxes with reload labels from 1973. So I am assuming they are all reloads. I am sure they would be fine to shoot but its just not for me.

The question is I am unwilling to shoot them so what to due with them?

2. the4thshake

the4thshake Portland Active Member

The bullets could be pulled and the brass can be reloaded.

3. Blinky

Blinky Sherwood New Member

IF you don't reload yourself, just give them to someone who does and they can take them apart for you.

4. bigNtall

I reload myself I suppose I could pull the bullets and reuse them. Not a big fan of reusing the brass . For one 35+ years old and I do not know how many times they have been reloaded or if they were reloaded HOT in the past

5. giddyupgo55

giddyupgo55 Vernonia Active Member

When I have been given ammo that I am not sure about I take it apart keep the bullets for plinking and scrape the brass

6. therifleman

therifleman kennewick Member

1973? Im still shooting stuff my deceased father and I reloaded when I got discharged from the military that year! WHATS THE PROBLEM? Ever shoot ww2 surplus ammo? I found some in puget sound in about 80 ft of water while diving one time and cleaned it up and it shot ok too.

7. NK777

NK777 West of Portland Member

Honestly I'd test a few that were labeled 1973 and if they shot fine without any pressure signs I'd go ahead and trust them.

8. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I have a rule that the only reloads I will shoot are my own. If these rounds were mine I would pull the bullets for further use and use the dumped powder on my rose bushes.

9. bigNtall

This is my rule also

The age of them does not bother me but by rifle means more to me than a few rounds of ammo.

Right now I am planning on pulling the bullets unless someone wants to take them off my hands for free. But I will take no responsibility for them.

10. jib

jib Central OR Active Member

I don't shoot other peoples reloads and I won't wear their underwear either :)

11. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

You should be able to see signs of excessive pressure on the brass. Stretching, split necks, and other visible problems should tell you if the brass is okay. I agree with everyone else. Pull the components, add your own powder, and re-set the bullets. Dump the old powder on the plants...