JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Lowes building supply stores will exchange your old rusty outdated non-refillable 5 gallon or smaller propane tanks, with a new filled Blue Rhino one for under $18.00.
This tank exchange (new for old) by Blue Rhino is only honored at Lowes stores.

I was walking out of Lowes and saw the Blue Rhino truck driver loading up a couple of rusty out of service bottles into his truck. He told me that Lowes does such a high volume with them that they swap out junkers for new, just to get new customers. A new filled bottle costs over $45.00 if you don't have an exchange.

*ahem* a few years back I posted an ad on craigslist for old propane bottles. Picked up 35 for $60 total...and have been cycling them through the Blue Rhino kiosks every so often. Because you have to use your credit card I kept my eye out for a charge back but not one ever appeared.

And 35 5gal tanks takes up a TON of room. Ugh.

What year is your crewcab? Looks Like a '72...? Beautiful. Had I been able to find a nice, early crewcab like this when I was younger I never would have parted with it. Good job.

Keith

At one time Blue Rhino was using a special valve that prevented many places from refilling them. They had a triangular indentation on the body of the valve that required a specially ground magnet to release a ball that blocked refilling. You can make one if you get any of these valves but it is a good thing to know ahead of time.

I do not know what their current practice is so just an FYI

I was walking out of Lowes and saw the Blue Rhino truck driver loading up a couple of rusty out of service bottles into his truck. He told me that Lowes does such a high volume with them that they swap out junkers for new, just to get new customers. A new filled bottle costs over $45.00 if you don't have an exchange.

Problem is that they are NOT "filled", they only contain about 3.57 gallons of propane, not the full 5 gallons. This is NOT due to the expansion room required, it's so they can charge less but you get less also. Propane weighs 4.2# per gallon.

Inflationary pressures, including the volatile costs of steel, diesel fuel, and propane, have had a significant impact on the cylinder exchange industry. In 2008, to help control these rising costs, Blue Rhino followed the example of other consumer products companies with a product content change. We reduced the amount of propane in our tanks from 17 pounds to 15 pounds.

To ensure our consumers are properly notified, Blue Rhino clearly marks the amount of propane contained in our tanks, right on the package.

At one time Blue Rhino was using a special valve that prevented many places from refilling them. They had a triangular indentation on the body of the valve that required a specially ground magnet to release a ball that blocked refilling. You can make one if you get any of these valves but it is a good thing to know ahead of time.

I do not know what their current practice is so just an FYI

Direct word from them is that 'some got it, some don't.' Rather annoying I'd say.

Problem is that they are NOT "filled", they only contain about 3.57 gallons of propane, not the full 5 gallons. This is NOT due to the expansion room required, it's so they can charge less but you get less also. Propane weighs 4.2# per gallon.

This "short fill" isn't just happening with Propane, look at your cereal box, fruit and vegetable cans, and just about anything else that's sold "by the container" rather than by the "unit".

If it wasn't for the short fill, the Blue Rhino program wouldn't be such a bad deal. No more worries about having a tank that has a current inspection date, the proper valve, or any flaws that prevent it from being refilled.

You might want to look into building or purchasing your own adapter kits. I have an adapter that loows me to connect a 5 gallon propane bottle in place ot the little 1 liter jobs. With some care and some plumbing, you can refill the 1 liter bottles. They are marked non-refillable, but that's lowest common denominator regulation, not practical necessity or extreme danger. I'd rather trade a couple 1 liter bottles than a larger tank, if it came to that.

To refill from a large tank, like in a gas station with no power, you need a pump for liquid propane. You need to be pretty careful about grounding and using the proper style of pumps for flammable liquids too.

Farm-scale methane production is a part of my longer term bug-in strategy.

They also make a great smelting pot for you bullet casters!

CAUTION: MAKE CERTAIN, THE TANK IS COMPLETELY EMPTY!!!!!!! Cut the top off (to the height you desire), & you now have a heavy duty, inexpensive, smelting pot for large quantities of lead.

To refill from a large tank, like in a gas station with no power, you need a pump for liquid propane. You need to be pretty careful about grounding and using the proper style of pumps for flammable liquids too.

Your propane provider, or a propane service company, can install a fill valve on your large home propane tank so you can fill your 5 gallon tanks yourself. This requires no pump or power and is a pressure fill valve. We have been filling our own BBQ and RV tanks for years.

Check with Suburban Propane, they did ours originally and our current provider added one when we bought our new tank as part of the deal.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top