JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Greetings from Puyallup, Wa. I'm 57 years old and was born and raised around firearms, and, first and foremost, firearm safety. My Dad bought me my first gun at 14-a Husqvarna/Tradewinds rifle in .243. He taught me how to handload ammuntion, and I mean HANDload. None of this automated stuff. We weighed each powder charge and used a powder trickler. Then we'd hit the rifle range and try our handloads and shoot in an attempt to find the most accurate handloads we could. He was ecstatic when I shot a bech 100 yard group with seven shots you could cover with a dime. Hardly a bench rest level group, but not too bad for a 14 year old.

He passed away some years ago at 79. He gave me some nice guns that were his.

I jopined the Seattle Police Athletic Assoc. when I was about 20 (they took civilian members then-don't know if they still do). I picked up my first handgun-a Dan Wesson .357 Mag with 6" barrel, and handloaded and shot targets with that too. On my 22nd birtday at about 11:00 PM a local idiot smashed his way through my kitchen door in the place I rented then on 200th just south of SeaTac Airport. Lets just shorten it and say me and Dan Wesson got the drop on this moron and held him until the police took him away. Ever since then, when I hear somebody making the speech about, an armed homeowner is more likely to have the bad guy take away his gun and shoot him with it, than to successfully use it in self defense scenario, I feel it's my duty to tell my story about a 22 year old kid that defended himself with a handgun, and didn't have to fire a shot! (Thanks Dad for prepping me in firearms handling and safety, and getting me well on the road ).

Later I discovered some fun uses for handguns--long range mettallic silhouette competition. The fun of dropping heavy steel targets at 50,100,150,and 200 meters wiyth my trusty TC Contender with 10" barrlel in 30-30 Winchester kept me coming back for more. I then took up NRA Hunter Pistol at the shoret ranges of 25,500,75 and 100 meter using my TC, but in .357Mag. I competed at The Paul Bunyan Club, Tacoma Sportsmans Clup, Kitsap, Renton, Marysville, Ravensdale, and a few I'm forgetting. I also shot some really fun bowling Pin matches at Paul Bunyan using my S&W 4" stainless revolver in .38 Special, against mostly semi autos. Even won a match once. But it was all fun. My Dad was happy that I kept at the shooting sports.

My best friend passed away just this last summer. We used to go duck hunting and clay pigeon shooting together--a great way to spend a day.

I just found this forum and thought I'd say hi. I am an avid motorcyclis too, and have been doing that since I was 8 years old.

Take care, Jon in Puyallup

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads