JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just inherited a shotgun from my father, which was a surprise since I didn't know he owned it until after his death. It's a Mossberg 500C and the guy who transferred it from Texas to Washington state for me said it hadn't been used in a long time. I assume it's pre-1968 (no serial number), and looks to be in very good condition. Would it be worth taking it to a gunsmith for inspection (I don't know anything about shotguns) before I try firing it? Any advice would be welcome.

There's a saying about when in doubt...

Having said that, also I am not a gunsmith nor am I qualified to give advice about old guns.

If it were my gun though, if there isn't any rust or visual damage - I would start with a light target/clay load and get comfortable with the weapon.

If I wanted to shoot slugs or mag loads, I'd probably just buy a new one for $200 and use that for it.

Not sure if there's a glimmer of a sence in there, just what I would do.

The above is one way to go. Personally, by long association with 500's I trust them well! After carefully inspecting it inside and out I would take it to a safe, private place. Carefully tie it to a tree, loaded with the heaviest load that is rolled on the barrel, and use a long string to detonate it! Even if made in the 50's or 60's it is still a modern firearm not an antique!:) Enjoy your new heirloom!
BTW, pad it well from the tree or post to prevent scuffing her up.

... I've also got a 500C; unknown round count and it was in need of disassembly and a clean.

The safety button and action lock lever (behind the trigger guard and to the rear; press up for operation) should operate easily, not 'sticky'.

These disassemble quite easily; the trigger housing assembly needs one pin for the housing to be removed.
The action bars might just 'fall out' after that, don't worry it all goes back together easily!

I cleaned out an accumulation of dirt/sand and debris; all cleaned up nicely and re-assembled without fuss.
I think that almost all the parts ore still available; I installed a new safety button to be sure ... and also obtained an 18.5" barrel, swapping out the 24" (well I think it was 24"); 20ga ammo is around sometimes a little hard to find; Big 5 is a good source ...

Brownells have a schematic you can peek at:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=0/sid=161/schematicsdetail/500C-20-Gauge

PM if you are in need of an owners manual; I can send you such electronically, in PDF format; shows disassembly, cleaning, specs, etc ...

:

chris

unless it's a rusted up hulk,any Mossberg will out last at least 2 owners when treated with respect.
Can you open the action and kind of look things over in a GOOD light,looking for rust mainly,but also what might look like bent or damaged parts. If it looks clean inside,and the bore looks clean,i'd shoot it with no qualms.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top