JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My Marlin 60 was the very first firearm given to me; so ~40 years old now. Until a few months ago, it sat unfired for more than 25 years.

After a thorough cleaning and lube job, I fired it and tested several ammo types. The bullets flew everywhere. At 50 yards, I would get one hit near target center and the next round would be 8+ inches away. It didn't seem to matter if I used Federal 36GR JHP, Blazer 40GR LRN, Aguila Standard Velocity 40GR, Aguila High Velocity 40GR, Golden Bullets, etc. Same/similar.

I've changed scopes, mounts, etc. The latest set up consists of an overkill Nikon Buckmaster II 3-9X40! Same/similar results.

I questioned ME as the issue. But I've been firing using Caldwell bag rests; when I fire my AR using these rests, I group 1-2 MOA at 100 yards using cheap Wolf Poly. So, it ain't me :D. Plus, my friend experience the same on the Marlin, and he's a decent shot like me.

Thoughts on how to improve the rifle's accuracy? Or, should I mount this atop the dining room threshold and put away "as an antique"?

When you look at the rifling check for lead build up.

A couple regular cleanings may not have done the job.

Use a lead remover and let it soak in before a thorough scrub with a brass brush.

Microgroove barrel may need a little more cleaning.

I have good luck with CCI Standards (1070fps) and mine is newer production.

This past week, I cleaned the barrel 2X using Breakfree, and 3X using Hoppes No. 9 after letting each soak. Return cotton flannel swabs only oily. Ok, I think it's clean, dang it :)

Took her out yesterday. Loaded 10 rounds of Federal 36GR CPHP (1260 fps). Set rifle on Caldwell rest, and put crosshair on target center at 50 yards. Pulled trigger. Zing. Missed center by at least 6 inches. Pulled trigger again. Zing. Closer to center but still way off. Blam. Blam. Blam. All 10 hit within a 6-inch group. Fugly. Ok, time to retire this firearm. Throw-away target not worthy of a digital photo.

Wait, I just received several bricks of CCI Standard Velocity (1070 fps) Monday. Loaded 10 bullets. Pulled the trigger on round one. Hit. Pulled trigger again. Hit. WTF? Dead on at 12 o'clock! (except one shot that I yanked).

Fully confident rifle is fixed, lemme try me some Golden Bullets (3 o'clock). Zing. Blam. Blam. Blam. GB sucked.

Now let me try some Aguila Standard Velocity (9 o'clock; 1130 fps). Hey, not bad.

Ok, I have some Aguila High Velocity (1255 fps), I can't imagine those will do well since it appears the rifle likes the lower velocity.
Holy schnike (6 o'clock)!

I don't believe that. Lemme try again. OMFG (4:30).

Well heck, I have some Blazer and it's similar velocity at 1235 fps. A couple of double taps; the rest me due to excitement (center) and impatience with previous results.

Since I have CCI remaining, lemme see if I can repeat 12 o'clock results. My bad shooting; I was completely impatient and only had an imaginery target point.

Long story short... clean your gun; test various ammo types to see what it likes; and then hoard what it likes when there's a sale!

Thanks, All, for the help/suggestions!

20190608_135432 rev1.jpg

This past week, I cleaned the barrel 2X using Breakfree, and 3X using Hoppes No. 9 after letting each soak. Return cotton flannel swabs only oily. Ok, I think it's clean, dang it :)

Long story short... clean your gun; test various ammo types to see what it likes; and then hoard what it likes when there's a sale!

View attachment 588579

Sounds like it's on the right track. ALL .22's will have some ammo they like better than another. Even the same model bought the at the same time. Normally not that bad but they all have some they like best. At least it's getting there. I would get some lead remover cleaner and go at it carefully with that at least one time too. Not real common for these to lead up but it can happen. Normal cleaners like Breakfree are not really made for this. Will not cost much to buy some and give it a try. Let some soak a while then run a patch, see if it comes out discolored from bringing lead out. If it does, repeat this until it stops then try it again. Hopefully you will be good with most any ammo.

@RaceFan what was your point of aim for the Aguila that's bottom right on target?

I'm glad you tried different ammo!

Mine also likes the Aguila HV orange box stuff (super extra). The blue box Aguila, not so much in any of my rifles.

Now if you want to really experiment, try some 1500fps and 1900fps CCI coppers. I can't recall the exact name right now but they are good for about 0-25y then they get a little wild.

Normal cleaners like Breakfree are not really made for this. Will not cost much to buy some and give it a try. Let some soak a while then run a patch, see if it comes out discolored from bringing lead out. If it does, repeat this until it stops then try it again

Agreed^^^

22's are dirty to start with, one sitting that long is bound to have lead built up in the barrel.

I've taken old Marlin 60's that were neglected and they shoot as straight as the one I bought myself on my 18th birthday after a thorough cleaning.

@RaceFan what was your point of aim for the Aguila that's bottom right on target?

I'm glad you tried different ammo!

Mine also likes the Aguila HV orange box stuff (super extra). The blue box Aguila, not so much in any of my rifles.

Now if you want to really experiment, try some 1500fps and 1900fps CCI coppers. I can't recall the exact name right now but they are good for about 0-25y then they get a little wild.

I was aiming for the 6 ring at about 4:30. Once I made impact, I tried to hold the crosshair at that bullethole.

I'm going to start hoarding Aguila HV (orange box) for this rifle. I've been collecting the SV (blue/silver box) as the Ruger Mark IV does very well with it.

I had this happen with an old Marlin mod 60.
My stepdad gave it to me a long time ago and I finally shot it.
Didn't clean it before hand, shot maybe 20 rounds before it became a single shot, hand to manually work the action to cycle another round.

Took it home and apart. MAN! It was the dirtiest gun I had ever seen.
My stepdad is usually super anal about cleaning and inspecting everything. But then again, he never remembered even having this rifle. I think he bought it for his son and they never cleaned it.

So I disassembled it cleaned it good in the mechanical side.
Took it to a 50 yard range and it was all over the place. Even missing a 12" target at 50 yards.
So I need to do another deep clean of the barrel and see where that gets me.
It also has the original scope that might be messed up.

@clearconscience Thanks for sharing your story!

Since the first two "deep" cleaning, I've stripped and cleaned again twice. I even ran a bore snake through about 20X the last event as a final step.

The Marlin has been shooting like a champ. But it IS picky with ammo.

Mine likes Aguila High Velocity [orange box] and makes smaller than quarter size groups at 50 yards. I'm usually the fudge factor. After that, it's a wash between CCI Standard Velocity and CCI Blazer. I've learned the rifle only makes a bang noise with Golden Bullets and Federal CPHP as that's all it's worth :p

Took her out yesterday. Loaded 10 rounds of Federal 36GR CPHP (1260 fps). Set rifle on Caldwell rest, and put crosshair on target center at 50 yards. Pulled trigger. Zing. Missed center by at least 6 inches. Pulled trigger again. Zing. Closer to center but still way off. Blam. Blam. Blam. All 10 hit within a 6-inch group. Fugly. Ok, time to retire this firearm. Throw-away target not worthy of a digital photo.

Wait, I just received several bricks of CCI Standard Velocity (1070 fps) Monday. Loaded 10 bullets. Pulled the trigger on round one. Hit. Pulled trigger again. Hit. WTF? Dead on at 12 o'clock! (except one shot that I yanked).

Fully confident rifle is fixed, lemme try me some Golden Bullets (3 o'clock). Zing. Blam. Blam. Blam. GB sucked.

Now let me try some Aguila Standard Velocity (9 o'clock; 1130 fps). Hey, not bad.

Ok, I have some Aguila High Velocity (1255 fps), I can't imagine those will do well since it appears the rifle likes the lower velocity.
Holy schnike (6 o'clock)!

I don't believe that. Lemme try again. OMFG (4:30).

Well heck, I have some Blazer and it's similar velocity at 1235 fps. A couple of double taps; the rest me due to excitement (center) and impatience with previous results.

Since I have CCI remaining, lemme see if I can repeat 12 o'clock results. My bad shooting; I was completely impatient and only had an imaginery target point.

View attachment 588579
Some 22's don't take well to cleaning. It might be you're getting some lead back in the bore and it's improving.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top