JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Andy, I appreciate your input. I asked about this gun on a dedicated air gun forum and strangely enough, those folks weren't able to share much. It seems antique gallery guns are a small niche in the firearm collector circles. I don't think its valuable but I do feel like its something pretty unique. I really wanted to take it apart but I know its loaded with big springs and I'm afraid they might go "TWANG" if I do something incorrectly.

If you are at all serious about tinkering with old firearms , the dreaded TWANG of a part and the blur of it flying past your nose and landing God knows where in your shop is , always a , ahem , "interesting" and at times expensive
( both in money or time spent looking and fixing ) experience...:eek::D
Andy

DaveK; Well, I've said this before but here goes again. I think you should try to get ahold of Jim Supica at the NRA HQ. He may not know what you are looking for but I'd put money on the fact that he can point you in the right direction. :)

I suppect that the name on the gun is NOT the maker, but the dealer.

I also suppect that this arm predates the foundation of the German state gun laws of 1891. After that time it must, by law have been marked with DRGM [Deutsches Reichs Gebrauch Muster - German Kingdom Registered Design], and Made in Germany. In spite of it being little more than a toy it is nevertheless classed as a firearm, and must have been marked up with the calibre as well as a description of the projectile - ie. 5.5/6mm kugel [ball] or similar. It perhaps belongs to the class of fun-guns called Zimmerstuetzen - or living-room guns, usually the area occupied by Flobert style arms. These days they would be called 'Freizeitwaffen' - leisure-time guns.

It's a very interesting little piece of shooting history but apart from that comment and the few words above I can't help you, since I can't find out any more about it.

Such arms were never popular here in UK as most folks were way to poor to have a living room in which to shoot it, let alone leisure time.

tac

tac, your input is very much appreciated. I didn't know that dealers would inscribe their guns. Absent any other markings, I assumed the name stamped on the barrel was the maker. Sounds like you believe this to be German made. Another poster stated that it is of the European style but that some American makers copied that style. I fear I'll never know where it was made nor who Weiss was.

In Germany, where the name Weiss is as common as the English name White is in the USA it was customary to stamp the name of the gun dealer as well as the gunmaker. It was, and still, is the 1891 Gun Proof Laws and allied trade law dating from April 1891. Lacking any other marks on it, according to your post, IF the gun was made in Germany - the most likely but not definitive source, then my comments still hold. Even my Walther air rifle from 1981 has the dealer's name stamped on the stock.

I support your best guess that we are looking at a gun made in or around the middle of the 19thC - the workmanship is certainly impressive - we are NOT looking at any kind of a Sears, Roebuck $2.50 Acme 'Best gun' here.

tac

SIM LER:
gn11.jpg
Albeit unhelpful.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews