JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My neighbor passed away a few days ago and his widow gave me an old rifle that I had admired. I'm interested in what some of you experts can share about this beautiful old gun.

Condition: Very nice except for a few cracks in the wood, a little light rusting. It looks great on the wall but I would never try to shoot it.

Description: Lots of engraving. Only marking is "W.M. Weiss" on the barrel. No serial numbers or other markings. Fancy forend and butt. I'm thinking this was a pretty high end gun in its day.

My googling leads to me to believe this is a gallery rifle manufactured sometime around the civil war. It also looks to shoot darts rather than bullets. Does anybody have any information that can be shared? Do you think this is a $100. wall hanger or a $5,000. rare gun? I'm thinking its worth about $200-$300. IMG_0505.jpg IMG_0506.jpg IMG_0507.jpg IMG_0507.jpg IMG_0508.jpg IMG_0509.jpg IMG_0506.jpg IMG_0506.jpg IMG_0507.jpg IMG_0508.jpg IMG_0509.jpg

Very cool!! Things like this are a part of history and I love seeing them. I don't know much about them but if any one does it will either be @AndyinEverson or @tac. They are our resident history gun buffs.

Thanks for sharing and good luck with your search.

I'm wondering if the metal tube might be an air reservoir? Air Rifles were very popular at one time. The larger Hole on the right side looks like a "Port" for charging. It's an interesting piece.

Yes, it's an air rifle. The metal tube is the reservoir and also houses the spring loaded plunger that would fire the dart. The port on the right side would accept a large crank. You'd crank it and it would fill with air. Not sure of how many cranks it would take or if you could shoot more than one dart.

While I couldn't find this specific rifle on the net, I did learn a fair amount about the air rifles. From what I've read, gallery shooting became very popular just prior to the civil war and continued for about 10 years. Almost all the gallery operators purchased .22 rifles but the smart ones bought the dart rifles because the darts were reusable and the gun didn't need to be cleaned. Apparently, they were more expensive. One account said they cost about $20.00. These were not manufactured by the major gunmakers but by small regional makers. Probably why I couldn't find the maker's name. I posted on this forum in hopes of finding out more about the gun and like most folks, I'd love to know its value, although I plan on keeping it on the wall.

I'm jealous, my neighbor next door was kind enough to give me a nest of carpenter ants from his rotting shed.
Sorry to hear about your neighbor.

The port in the side of the receiver looks to be where an air hose would attach allowing several guns to stay charged from one central compressor. Compressed air was not a simple thing to produce in the early industrial revolution. Air guns have a very long history, Lewis and Clark carried one in 1801.

A test? LOL...not at all. While my research revealed a lot about gallery guns in general, I was hoping that somebody might have further information, particularly about the maker.

Good recovery.......I think most of us here are more accustom to the smell of gun powder. There must be air gun experts on a more specialized board. I am sure there is some little shop somewhere that lives, eats and drinks antique gallery guns. The big circus and carnival people are out of Florida.........many some old grey haired guy knows them there? It would be fun to learn more about it. I had an old Winchester 22 short gallery gun years ago, there was an active following for them at the time.

I too am more in tune with the smell of gunpowder and when I saw this gun, I thought it was some kind of small caliber. I was surprised to find that it shoots darts. Still, a very interesting aspect of American firearm history. I found a Facebook group dedicated to air guns and about all they could offer is that it's an air/dart gun. The old Winchesters were beautiful guns. I bought a Taurus look-a-like and it's a wonderful little shooter. Couldn't afford an old Winchester.

A test? LOL...not at all. While my research revealed a lot about gallery guns in general, I was hoping that somebody might have further information, particularly about the maker.
I think it was wise to look for a second opinion or information source. Some people don't seem to think it's necessary but then when you know All there is to know, it just isn't necessary.

I think it was wise to look for a second opinion or information source. Some people don't seem to think it's necessary but then when you know All there is to know, it just isn't necessary.
I appreciate the comment, KKG. My knowledge of air guns was 0 yesterday and a bit more after some research. I've asked in a few places and put together enough knowledge to be comfortable with what I have. I do thank everybody who responded.

A google search of Air gallery guns got me to "Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms and values #9". In a paragraph on page 775 it mentions the gallery air guns. It looks like pages 776-779 are not shown on this book review but may have more information. The Flayerman's Guide books are on the internet for about 20.00 or so and there is a previous edition used at Thrift books for 3.79 + shipping (usually 3.99). I would feel the information is probably in the earlier edition too. Interesting device you have there. A bit of history. Page 775 does mention the 10 year period approx 1850 to...Good hunting.

A google search of Air gallery guns got me to "Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms and values #9". In a paragraph on page 775 it mentions the gallery air guns. It looks like pages 776-779 are not shown on this book review but may have more information. The Flayerman's Guide books are on the internet for about 20.00 or so and there is a previous edition used at Thrift books for 3.79 + shipping (usually 3.99). I would feel the information is probably in the earlier edition too. Interesting device you have there. A bit of history. Page 775 does mention the 10 year period approx 1850 to...Good hunting.
Thank you for the heads up. I appreciate it.

WE NEED ANDYINEVERSON OR TAC FOR THIS AGE...let me rephrase that ERA QUESTION...:s0133::s0133:
[OTE="DaveK, post: 1807072, member: 450"]My neighbor passed away a few days ago and his widow gave me an old rifle that I had admired. I'm interested in what some of you experts can share about this beautiful old gun.

Condition: Very nice except for a few cracks in the wood, a little light rusting. It looks great on the wall but I would never try to shoot it.

Description: Lots of engraving. Only marking is "W.M. Weiss" on the barrel. No serial numbers or other markings. Fancy forend and butt. I'm thinking this was a pretty high end gun in its day.

My googling leads to me to believe this is a gallery rifle manufactured sometime around the civil war. It also looks to shoot darts rather than bullets. Does anybody have any information that can be shared? Do you think this is a $100. wall hanger or a $5,000. rare gun? I'm thinking its worth about $200-$300.View attachment 405638 View attachment 405639 View attachment 405640 View attachment 405640 View attachment 405641 View attachment 405642 View attachment 405639 View attachment 405639 View attachment 405640 View attachment 405641 View attachment 405642[/QUOTE]

I really wish I knew more about air guns....I sadly do not.
That said....
When looking at the rifle in the OP ... I am struck by the similarities between it and the Colt revolving rifle of the "Patterson" type series.
Just in overall looks mind...Not saying that the OP's rifle is a Colt or anything like that.
So I might place the OP rifle in the late 1830's to mid 1840's in time period.
It also has the look of a upper end sporting rifle of that era to my eye...again not an expert on air guns or even black powder guns...just my thoughts here.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top