JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oh my gosh, this film is one I watched when I was in the 5th grade. At Buckman elementary school in Portland. This was Right about the time I toured Benson High School and was mezmorized at all the machines. All this happened the same week. I decided hey I wanna build

Cool :cool: Can you imagine how triggered folks would be today if a film like that was shown in school? I would have loved seeing that in school, instead I have a memory of an hour long film on aluminum - it was not inspirational in any way :(

From what I have heard, its still in Williams burg.

My wife and I are hoping to visit there someday. If so, I'd love to watch them do this work.

Unfortunately, Colonial Williamsburg recently announced they are in financial trouble. I hope they get it sorted out.

Cool :cool: Can you imagine how triggered folks would be today if a film like that was shown in school? I would have loved seeing that in school, instead I have a memory of an hour long film on aluminum - it was not inspirational in any way :(
You wouldn't happen to remember what that film was called do you?

You wouldn't happen to remember what that film was called do you?

Unfortunately I don't. I was some British guy and the only thing that really stuck with me on that whole film was that he pronounced 'aluminum' differently than I'd ever heard it - after that, my friends and I could only focus on that for the rest of the film :rolleyes:

Darn. I would have liked to have seen it.

Doesn't hurt to diversify without having to read. :D

A clown's gotta be smart. If a clown could get by on his looks, he wouldn't be a clown! :rolleyes:

Darn. I would have liked to have seen it.

Doesn't hurt to diversify without having to read. :D

A clown's gotta be smart. If a clown could get by on his looks, he wouldn't be a clown! :rolleyes:

Here's one - not the one I remember (that was a British guy in a lab coat talking the whole time), but you might enjoy this. I do find these old films fun to watch from time to time:

Here's one - not the one I remember (that was a British guy in a lab coat talking the whole time), but you might enjoy this. I do find these old films fun to watch from time to time:

Neat, thanks.

I want a block of that aluminum oxynitride just to have in the office.

No real reason for it, just want one. Also a block of iron (I also collect big rocks with iron in them from the yard). At one point I had a rock with some gold in it, forgot where it is though.

I figured there must have been a method for mass production - no way you could outfit an army using such slow techniques. But for those that could afford such a hand-made gun, it must have been something to treasure.

At the end they say there is 300 hours of labor in that rifle. Which made me wonder what that would equate to in modern money along with the thought that it would be hard to afford for almost anyone. So yeah, there must have been a market for more utilitarian rifles. Anyway, I found this thread and an article in that thread which basically state that there is no way to convert from colonial money to modern money for a whole host of reasons. It appears though that a utilitarian rifle could be had for about 25 deer hides (cleaned, no hair).

Thread:
What Did a Rifle Cost in 1775?

Article:
How Much Is That in Today's Money?

What did they use for oil? Whale oil was used until almost 1900 for lighting, so it makes me think gun oil wasn't petroleum based, either. But I just have no idea. What type of oil would be used for the machining processes?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top