JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which should be my first handgun?

• GP 100

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • XD

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • XDM

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
Reactions
Hello,

As the title suggests, I'm more experienced in life than in shooting. I did rifle club as a teen but never touched a firearm again until last year when my son-in-law invited me to shoot with him. Since I had a blast, pun intended, I bought a 1022 and joined Chehelem Valley and have been plinking away. Recently, I took the Basic Handgun course at Beaver Creek Armory and will buy my first handgun shortly. To get the annoying "which gun should I buy" question out of the way, I'll include a poll on my first post.

I'm fond of revolvers due to the historical factor and I love the beauty of a simple machine that stands the test of time. Therefore, I'm inclined to get a GP 100. However, I have rented 9mm autos and know that I shoot better with them and know they will be the best bet to learn good shooting technique. So leaning toward getting a XD or XDm to learn on and get the GP100 later. My intent is range shooting only.

Poll above, and feel free to add comments.

Last Edited:
If you get a chance, check out the predecessor to the Ruger Gp 100..
The Security Six models have that classic revolver look and feel and are generally less expensive then the GP models.
Wolff Springs makes a reduced pull trigger pack for them which helps the stiff factory pull weight.
They are very accurate and are a very robust magnum pistol for the money.
My preference is for the 4" stainless steel model in the 151 range serial numbers.

The best handgun you could possibly get, is your first one. Don't worry to much about a definitive answer, soon enough you will have a second and a third and if for some reason the one you purchase does not suit you there will be plenty of folks who want to trade which is a great way to make shooting buddies!

Get what is cheapest to shoot. It's about enjoying shooting so the cheaper it is with the first gun then the more you will like it. I like the GP 100 idea cause you can shoot cheap 38 special yet have real power when you want it. Lots of us old guys like revolvers.... or 1911s:D

Get what is cheapest to shoot.
Actually, this is the argument for XD, 9mm is cheaper than 38 special.
Lots of us old guys like revolvers.... or 1911s:D
Ironically, my 20 something son-in-law is a big 1911 fan. The jewel of his collection is an actual government issue enlisted model from 1942. But 1911's are a bit more complicated for a non-technical noob like me (argument for revolver) and not quite ready to handle the recoil of .45 yet. A 1911 will probably by my third handgun.;)

Actually, this is the argument for XD, 9mm is cheaper than 38 special.

Ironically, my 20 something son-in-law is a big 1911 fan. The jewel of his collection is an actual government issue enlisted model from 1942. But 1911's are a bit more complicated for a non-technical noob like me (argument for revolver) and not quite ready to handle the recoil of .45 yet. A 1911 will probably by my third handgun.;)

I reload lead bullets into 38 so my shooting cost are way down. I can load lead into 9mm but the fast speed of the bullet leads up the barrel. I am loading 148 hbwc in 38 with 3 grains of powder that gives me 750 fps and is target accurate. Very little recoil and a pleasure to shoot, more than adequate for small game too.

Here I am. Sorry been lurking in the handgun forum and forgot to check this thread. Thanks all for input. After much back and forth I followed the advice of my instructor and a workmate who is also an NRA instructor, and pulled the trigger (pun intended) on an XDM at NW Armory in Tigard. The deciding factor was ergonomics and ease of use. Targets don't lie. Befor purchase I'd borrowed/ rented a SW 636, an sp 101, and an XDM. The groups were tighter and less mikes with the Stryker. Before you wheel gun enthusiasts get down on me, don't worry, I'm confident my second handgun will be a revolver. Decision time again: 6 inch or 4 inch, blued or steel, new or a security six that's been in someone's drawer for 30 years? Maybe another poll soon.

Yes, I've been advised that reloading .38 sp will bring down the cost but remember I'm a noob so reloading is a ways in my future. In the meantime, I'm headed to Threat Dynamics after lunch to put three boxes of 9mm that I can afford as long as NW Armory has it at $11 a box (love those guys).

One vote for the revolver.
Since you are looking at a range gun only I caution against buying a short barrel in a 357. Go with the 6" barrel
This one is mine. Super Redhawk in 44 mag 7-1/2" barrel.
45275fdebb0c682e4af95f2d8a3ec81e_zps538cc834.jpg

Since you are relatively new to the hobby/obsession here are some links to help you out.

Speed loader for your GP-100. Good company for all your gun & outdoor stuff.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/74...86-38-special-357-magnum?cm_vc=ProductFinding

If they don't have it here it is not available.
http://www.brownells.com/

A "bot" that searches all the ammo websites and puts the prices in one place. WAY cheaper than retail
http://www.wikiarms.com/

Essentially, eBay for guns. Gun has to be sent to an FFL. I use 99 pawn in Milwaukie because they are the cheapest transfer fee ($20) but any gun store will do this for you.
http://www.gunbroker.com/

Hay New Guy! If you're having trouble finding a gun part give Numrich Arms a look see. (They renamed themselves) IDK what to but others here do know. Numrich has millions of parts. Generally if a part is impossible to find NA WILL have it.

One of my favorite handguns is the GP100 with a 6" barrel.

I reload and with 38spl powder puff loads it's barely more recoil than a 22; but I can also run full power 357mag loads if I want.

Another benefit to the GP100 is that when you eventually get a lever action in the same caliber (and you know you will) you can have the same ammo for both and have twice the fun!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top