JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all,
This is only my second post here on the site, normally I just lurk. However, now I have a question I'm hoping someone can assist in answering.

Recently, a relative came into possession of a Colt Model 1892 (Maybe 1896?) .38 revolver. It is a .38 long Colt. It's interesting, and the frame/cylinder/grips are in VERY good shape and probably about 98% of the original bluing. The cylinder is very long and will chamber and cycle a .357 WHICH OF COURSE WOULD BE INSANE TO TRY AND SHOOT OUT IT! (Just heading off the comments in advance that would state the same.) I mention the long cylinder because after some research I discovered that people commonly would shoot .38 special rounds out of these old guns and crack the barrels, which apparently happened to this gun, because someone replaced the barrel with a parkerized Colt Commando .38 Special barrel. It was obviously a hack job, and looks like crap.

I've scoured the different parts sites found here on the forum, and have only found one original barrel, but it is badly pitted, has almost no bluing, and very little rifling. So...my question to you, the brain trust, is WHO in Oregon is a skilled Colt revolver blacksmith? I'm figuring a real Colt guy might have a line on something original to the gun, or may have an idea on modifying a .38 special barrel that is a little more age appropriate to the gun. The Model 1896 was from the early 1900's, and from pictures I've seen the Colt Special Army .38's barrels from the 20's which can be easily found, the barrels look nearly identical. Potentially, a skilled Colt expert could make one of those work. And while it wouldn't be "original" to the gun, it would be much closer.

Thank you to anyone with any ideas, or recommendations,

Bill

I bought a similar vintage Colt revolver (Official Police) that had six .38 special squibs lodged in the 6" barrel for cheap from a pawn shop.
I found a decent 4" used barrel on eBay for around $35.00 and had my local gunsmith (Velzey) swap them out and reblue the whole pistol.
Finding a decent barrel for that old of a revolver, and one that is worth the money you will be putting out to do all the other things that should be done to make it reliable and safe, it might be better to forget going down that path.
Some old guns should be just kept as a wall hanger and instead, put the money invested into something that will function safely.

I bought a similar vintage Colt revolver (Official Police) that had six .38 special squibs lodged in the 6" barrel for cheap from a pawn shop.
I found a decent 4" used barrel on eBay for around $35.00 and had my local gunsmith (Velzey) swap them out and reblue the whole pistol.
Finding a decent barrel for that old of a revolver, and one that is worth the money you will be putting out to do all the other things that should be done to make it reliable and safe, it might be better to forget going down that path.
Some old guns should be just kept as a wall hanger and instead, put the money invested into something that will function safely.
I'da kept the barrel for a wall hanger!

I have fixed up / given a new lease on life to a few old guns.
It can be both challenging and rewarding .

While it is possible to do ....it would be wise to also accept that the time , money and energy invested in such , is only yours...and may not be valued the same worth , by others.

I wish you luck in your search and project....I also second the notion at looking into the Colt Army Special barrel for this gun.
Andy

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top