JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well this is a large subject to try to get informed about in 1 day. :)
Do you want an original or one that has been worked over? Knowing the little differences can make a big deal. $$. If it is an original, then you better find an established, well informed on the 1911 dealer, and be prepared to pay a premium for it. If its a shooter you are looking for than keep in mind that there are a lot of shade tree smiths that can put a 1911 together but it will not run reliably or as it should. Best advice I can give you is to deal with the larger dealers there that have more than 1 1911 and at least can talk to you with a bit of knowledge on 1911s. Man this gun show stuff can be great or you could be sending your new to you 1911 out to a smith to try to correct a nightmare. Ya know, buyer beware. :(
Good luck to you and if you get 1, get back yo us about it. :)

Dave

Get a series 80, a lil tricky to work on, but very reliable, colts have been a lil off from me, ever since I've bought kimbers.... kimbers and springfields are much more accurate out of the box, colt is more of the historic name, if you want a nice colt go for any xse series, expect to pay anywhere from 550-1400 for a nice used colt. Also look for a high ride beavertail grip safety, the old colts and ww1 replicas which use the old tiny grip safety give me the worst hammer bites in the web of my thumb and index finger...now i know why you didn't go through on the vest, but its a better purchase, 1911s are awesome!

Going to the gun show tomorrow, may be looking for a old Cold 1911. I want to be able to shoot it a lot. Anything I should look for?
If it is just a 1911 your looking for, go with a Springfield or Rock Island Armory. You can get them for a great price NIB and they are great shooters, very reliable and accurate and dont have to worry about the collectable value. JMHO. Good luck which ever way you go!:s0155:

I want an AMERICAN made gun. I'd buy a Springfield if it didn't have a Brazilian frame....they may work just as good or better than a US frame, but it's the principal for me. I want an all American 1911. I had a Kimber TLE II, wish I never sold it. I'd love to have another, but don't have that much to spend right now. I shot a friends old beat up colt that he bought at the gun show for $425. It was great. That's kinda what I was looking for.

I want an AMERICAN made gun. I'd buy a Springfield if it didn't have a Brazilian frame....they may work just as good or better than a US frame, but it's the principal for me. I want an all American 1911. I had a Kimber TLE II, wish I never sold it. I'd love to have another, but don't have that much to spend right now. I shot a friends old beat up colt that he bought at the gun show for $425. It was great. That's kinda what I was looking for.

Gotcha, sounds like a great deal, good luck.

There's always another gun show. Next time you think you want a 1911, look for a post war, pre Series 70 Commercial gun. You'll have to pay for it, but you won't regret it. I found mine at a gun show.

I love Colts. Since I've bought a Kimber I've become a huge fan of them. It all depends on what u need the pistol for. If your lookig for a shooter pistol, u might want to start off with something that cost less. The older Colts will cost a premium. The novelty of them alone will cost u. WWI and WWII are some of the best Colts made, but the cost might be more then u want to pay for your first 1911. You have to ask yourself, how much u want to spend, what u need it for, and what u need as opposed to what u want. I'd start off with a less expensive 1911, then down the road when u have more of a specific preference u can spend that kind of money with more confidence.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top