JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for suggestions on how to use beans that have been in long term storage and won't rehydrate (get hard and crunchy). The options appear to be limited:

1) Use a pressure cooker (don't have one).
2) Puree them (tried this, very messy and you still get little hard chunks in them).
3) Grind into flour (don't think I could eat that many biscuits).
4) Soak overnight with baking soda. This sounds like the best option for using them normally, but I haven't tried it yet. Has anyone used this method and with what results?

For those storing beans now, red kidneys seem to hydrate much better after long term storage than do pintos.

Any other suggestions?

Get a pressure cooker.

I think my wife paid $100 for the digital instant pot she bought and I use it 4-5 times a week.

Makes anything you can make in a slow cooker over 8 hours in under 45 min.

I've heard baking soda helps keep your gas down after eating them.

Give a tenderizer with papain (from papaya) a try. Spike and Adolphs each make one. Add that to your soaking water.
Spike ® Tenderizer magic! | Spike

Made mostly for meat but Spike's Natural Gourmet says for vegetables too. I use it on London Broil and it's terrific.
Cheap enough to try. Let us know how it worked.

Last Edited:
STOP!! Maybe they're magic beans! :eek:
They ARE magic beans! And I want to share my good fortune with ALL the members at NWFA. I'll be putting an add in the classifieds: "Get rich the easy way - buy magic beans, $10 each. Strict limit of 100 per household."

Thanks Stomper!

Put them in little bags and hand them out on Halloween.

712C6D2A-F559-44DF-8197-258594C02856.gif

How many pounds are you dealing with?
Kewl them first.
Add salt & sugar to the soaking water to alter the osmotic process. If no effect after a day of soaking, add a cup of vinegar and see if that helps.
If you have time, you can find pressure cookers at Goodwill for ~$10.
I cook mine with onions, garlic, tomatoes and spices on "low" heat over a couple days. Supposedly the onions prevent gas. I say, "let 'er rip!"

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top