JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
seems like all the AR15s these days all have quad/keymod rails fancy stocks full flat top pictannys.

Yet AR15s aren't anything new. Anyone here actually have an old AR15s, can share when they got it and any story behind it like hunting or whatever? Pics would be very cool...

m16ad.jpg

She's holding an A1 slick-side upper, with a slab-side lower...

I have a Colt AR-15A2 Sporter-II that I purchased back in '87 from the Rod & Gun club while stationed in Germany. It's all factory original and has an A1 slab-side lower, A1 carry handle and rear sight upper but A2 brass deflector, then A2 buttstock & pistol grip, A2 hand guards, birdcage, & HBAR.

Weird, but cool.

A couple of years ago, I was removing an old 80's era king sized waterbed frame so I could carpet the bedroom and carefully hidden underneath the support framing was this brand new Colt SP-1 Sporter. The elderly woman who I was working for gave it to me as a gift.
One of many cool firearms she has generously gifted to me from her late husbands collection.

ar-15 colt 001.JPG

Love those SP-1's.
At one time even I owned a SP-1.
The only mod I made was to install a GI issue "glow in the dark" front sight insert.
( Forget what we actually called those in the Army )
It was a fun and accurate rifle to shoot.

But I traded it for my first flintlock and some would say I've been down hill ever since! :D

Anyways cool thread ... I like those "old" almost GI issue AR's.
Andy

Here's the latest gift from her. Armalite 180 with factory scope.
It's one of Eugene Stoners creations after he sold the M-16 rights to Colt.
I don't have any pics of it yet, so here's one off the net.
Original 40 rd mags are very collectible and expensive.

Ar180%20L%20set%20w-scope.jpg

I started using them in Montana back in the 70's for everything from pop cans to medium game (deer and black bear).
Love the old style rigs.

Funny they had those ads then police never picked them up or got rid of them until the north hollywood bank robbery proved they were vastly outgunned.

And those are one heck of a gift!
I'd kiss that old broad on the mouth!

My dad has a SP-1 Colt Delta Elite, has the insignia on the stock and came with a 4x colt optic that screws in the handle and matching case. I have tried to talk him out of it several times. His last offer was "give me two of those fancy AR's you have for it" to which I replied "Sure". I don't think he expected that and I still don't have it.

My dad has a SP-1 Colt Delta Elite, has the insignia on the stock and came with a 4x colt optic that screws in the handle and matching case. I have tried to talk him out of it several times. His last offer was "give me two of those fancy AR's you have for it" to which I replied "Sure". I don't think he expected that and I still don't have it.

as a DE 10mm fanboy I had to look that up I never knew they made a DE rifle, what a rare find I bet those are worth 3 of todays ARs.
930746_03__1_colt_delta_elite_ar15_nib_h_640.jpg

Thank you jbett98. You already know the SP-1 is a very desirable collectible firearm. Just sitting in your safe NOT being fired is a good $investment$. The guts are also different. SP-1 Carrier and Firing Pin. SP-1 Hammer. SP-1 Disconnecter and Spring. Does Colt still sell spares? Dunno, been too long ago.

If the AR180 is from Sterling England a couple of things to look out for IF YOU decide to shoot it. Lots of times the dinky "J" spring inside the hammer was not installed correctly or not at all. Then the hammer pin walks out the right side. Also check the bolt for sharp edges where the cam pin fits inside.

Check the bolt in the cam pin hole area for tiny cracks in the lateral side positions. Tiny. Brittle bolts. Stirling had labour problems at times. The quality was at times lack luster. But for investment purposes just keep that cool Armalite in the safe. Bound to make you money if you sell. A cool rifle. I am envious!! :)

So the rest of the story is it's my fault my dad has it. When I was in high school the next door neighbor had it, new never fired and wanted to sell it for $1000 (must have been 87-88). I went and got it, put a box of ammo through it and figured out there was no way I could scrounge $1000 and took it back to the neighbor. All was fine for a month or so then the neighbor must have got it out to show some someone and figured out I shot it. He was pissed, called my dad and to save face my dad just bought the rifle from him. (They were semi-friends and still are and still live next to each other) Of course my dad was pissed and never let me shoot it, to this day it's never been shot again. Maybe a decade ago I offered my dad $2000 for it and have made several attempts to gain possession. I'll get it someday, somehow :D

My first AR is my Olympic Arms "PCR" (Politically Correct Rifle) bought during the AW "ban" so it has no flash hider nor bayonet lug. It is A2-ish with the carry handle and has a (too) heavy 20" barrel. But it still is doing its job, protecting house and home.

Back then the only choices were Colt, Olympic and Bushmaster. I've heard sneers at Olympic Arms but never had any problem with it, so I suspect the complaints are mere snobbery. I did put an aftermarket trigger in it though. Standard mil-spec AR triggers plain suck...

She's holding an A1 slick-side upper, with a slab-side lower...

I have a Colt AR-15A2 Sporter-II that I purchased back in '87 from the Rod & Gun club while stationed in Germany. It's all factory original and has an A1 slab-side lower, A1 carry handle and rear sight upper but A2 brass deflector, then A2 buttstock & pistol grip, A2 hand guards, birdcage, & HBAR.

Weird, but cool.

Bought the same gun in 1989 while stationed in Germany. :D
I lived off post so I kept it in my closet.

I'm thinking this would not be legal today? o_O

DSCN4789.JPG

I had a Bushmaster A2 type that I put a smooth sided triangular forearm on. 20" barrel. Good shooter. Bought it before Malvo & friend. Not related but I sold it to buy a boat. Later on, I sold the boat to build two ARs.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top