JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was given 40 rds of old military ammo from a friend at work. 20 rds are tracers, 20 are regular FMJ. Most of the headstamps are marked LC 42 or EW 43. From what I have found this means Lake City ordnance plant and au Claire Ordnance Plant and I assume the numbers refer to the year. They are in their original boxes.

Is this stuff safe to shoot? Would it be better to keep it as a collectors item?

Thanks!

As long as the ammo doesn't look outwardly unsafe (cracks, heavy corrosion (especially around the primer) etc.), and wasn't stored improperly, it is safe. I shoot Frankford Arsenal ammo from the 40's all the time in my Garand, and I have personally shot .30-06 and 8mm ammo from the First World War. Obviously, it is corrosive, so clean well after shooting.

As for if it's collectible I don't know, I would think the tracer ammo might be though.

(On a side note, if you're still unsure about it, I'll take it off your hands:D)

Thanks. Some of the primers are a bit corroded. I wanted it to shoot in my soon to be purchased M1 garand. What's the worst that can happen--the ammo not go off due to a bad primer or can worse things happen?

I'v shot a few old cartriges that split at the neck and shoulder area,spitting gas back in my face.Seems I got a hold of some stuff that said DEN 43 on it,I think that was the stuff.Wear safety glasses when you shoot(should anyway).or ,if you don't want to take a chance,pull the bullets,push out the primers,and reload them.

Thanks. Some of the primers are a bit corroded. I wanted it to shoot in my soon to be purchased M1 garand. What's the worst that can happen--the ammo not go off due to a bad primer or can worse things happen?

The worse that could happen is you'd get a squib, this could happen if the ammo got wet or oily. If it was sealed in boxes and they don't look water damaged, I'm sure you'll be fine. Pay attention to what you're doing, if something feels funny, it probably is.

Watch out for hang fires too, if a round fails to go off, don't immediately eject it from the chamber.

Push out the primer and reload them would be best for your safety. It not worth the risk if you are unsure. If there is any risk involve shootinh then it will take away the fun shooting.

Push out the primer and reload them would be best for your safety. It not worth the risk if you are unsure. If there is any risk involve shootinh then it will take away the fun shooting.

+1 I wouldn't shoot them if there was any sign of corrosion on them. The worst danger would be of a squib load that sticks in the barrel. If you didn't notice it and cranked off another round KABOOM!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top