JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thank you I'll check it out. So the older models are series 70?
Yes. I just assumed that was what you had. You can go back one menu and select another model if it's different. Numrich has a big inventory. Sometimes you get original GI parts and they will indicate that.

To answer OP, I thought the "standard" spring rate was 16 lbs. :s0155:
It was for a LONG time with Mil surp stuff. I always changed them out to an 18 as soon as I laid hands on one. I have not seen a 16 from anything factory in decades now. Still keep a couple old 16's for Wife. I roll some very light loads she just loves that feed great with a 16# spring. As others mentioned Wolf is a great place for anything spring. They seem to carry stuff for everything made :D

It was for a LONG time with Mil surp stuff. I always changed them out to an 18 as soon as I laid hands on one. I have not seen a 16 from anything factory in decades now. Still keep a couple old 16's for Wife. I roll some very light loads she just loves that feed great with a 16# spring. As others mentioned Wolf is a great place for anything spring. They seem to carry stuff for everything made :D

Thank you for your information!

I have one that likes the 18.5 lb recoil spring. Runs a little smoother. Good to have a few . They dont cost much.

From wolf's site.

Reduced Power...: 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, & 15 Lb.
Factory Standard.: 16.5 Lb.
Extra Power........: 17.5, 18.5, 20, & 22 Lb.

I have one that likes the 18.5 lb recoil spring. Runs a little smoother. Good to have a few . They dont cost much.

From wolf's site.

Reduced Power...: 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, & 15 Lb.
Factory Standard.: 16.5 Lb.
Extra Power........: 17.5, 18.5, 20, & 22 Lb.

Yea I think it's so old I'll go with something 16.t or just less.

I need to replace my recoil spring on my old 1911 made in 1918. What lb. Do you recommend? Thank you.

If I recall the standard rate for a govt size is 16lbs. It certainly doesn't hurt to change rates depending on loads in modern guns but I have heard that for original authentic war guns not to shoot hot loads like +P and stick to normal saami pressure FMJ. The reason is the metallurgy wasn't as good back then.

springs are cheap. get the 18 and the 16.

I'd want to keep that nice old pistol as pristine as possible. An 18 lb. spring will keep the slide / frame contact to a minimum. Start there. If you are getting feeding issues, try the lighter one.

:)

My 1968 Colt National Match uses a 10 lb spring, but you can only shoot light power competition wad cutter loads, as the slide has been milled out to work the lighter loads.
It's takes some getting use to the super light spring when pulling back the slide, and then switch to a standard 1911 with the much heavier 16-18 lb springs.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top