JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This story really tees me off. I think this guy got off way too easy.

Judge Bans Oklahoman From Hunting for the Rest of His Life
Posted: Feb 17, 2010 3:50 PM PST
Updated: Feb 18, 2010 6:54 AM PST
Featured Video Hunter's Ego Costs Him Thousands of Dollars, Hunting Licence

Enlarge this picture

After pleading guilty to theft of an exotic animal last year, Justin Ray McDaniel was sentenced to a 10-year suspended sentence, ordered to pay the buck's owner $33,000 in restitution and can never obtain another hunting license again in any jurisdiction.
Enlarge this picture

McDaniel said he shot and killed a penned up 2-year-old buck back in 2008 because of his "ego."By Rusty Surette, NEWS 9

OKLAHOMA CITY -- A Norman man who shot and killed a 2-year-old buck used for breeding has been banned from hunting for the rest of his life.

Judge Jerry Bass handed down a 10-year suspended sentence Wednesday to Justin Ray McDaniel.

McDaniel, 27, pleaded guilty to the charge of theft of an exotic animal last year. The crime is a felony in the state of Oklahoma and carries up to a 10-year prison sentence.

The judge also told McDaniel he can never obtain another hunting license again in any jurisdiction and must pay $33,000 to the deer's owner, Mark Kwitowski.

"People like you should not be hunters," Judge Bass said.

McDaniel said he killed the buck, "Pretty Boy," with several arrows because of his "ego."

"I'm really sorry," McDaniel said prior to his sentencing Wednesday.

The deer's owner, Mark Kwitowski, said he was pleased with the verdict.

"This is the first stepping stone for anybody who decides they want to pick up a weapon like a bow or a rifle and shoot a penned deer behind a fence thinking that they're going to be able to show the state they killed a big buck," Kwitowski said.

Prosecutors said the buck was appraised at $55,000 and had the potential to produce semen worth thousands of dollars a year.

"For an animal that's 2 years of age to already have about 240 inches of antler on his head, that's phenomenal, absolutely phenomenal," Kwitowski said.

McDaniel was also ordered to serve 10 days in jail on weekends for a misdemeanor charge of providing false information to an authorized hunting station.

The men said several hunting publications have already contacted them about the case. Since the shooting there's been nationwide interest in how this was going to turn out.

Pretty boy had some wicked horns..

A little more to the story..

McDaniel told the judge he killed the buck in the pen in November 2008 for the ego boost.

"I did it to sound like a cool guy,” McDaniel said.

McDaniel described for the judge how he climbed over fences at the Oklahoma County deer breeding ranch at 3 in the morning then shot the buck with an arrow and dragged it to his truck. He later reported he shot the deer in the wild in another county.

"I’m sorry,” he told the deer’s owner and breeder. "I know that may not mean a lot to you, but I truly am. I wish I could take it back.”

The deer owner, Mark Kwitowski, and the breeder, Mike Chain, said afterward they were satisfied with the punishment because it will deter others from doing the same thing.

"This is a message,” the owner said.

I bet that buck was hung... With a rack that big something would have to keep his back feet on the ground.

What an idiot.

What is with the apology? He climbed a fence into a game farm.
The S%B is a liar. He is only sorry for the fact he got caught. Notice he only aplogized when he was in court.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top