JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yep obviously don't want to make a habit of shooting with no protection but, if you have to shoot for real you most likely will not even notice or remember the blast or suffer from it later. Totally different when shooting at paper as no Adrenalin I guess.

I don't think adrenalin will preclude the effects. You may not notice the loud noise due to the adrenalin, but your ears certainly will be damaged.

Ok the police needed sixty rounds to stop the criminal where do you think those rounds went? I would argue that using that many rounds to stop someone may border on being a danger to society.

Anything that makes your ears ring has inflicted some degree of permanent damage to your hearing, and hearing loss therefrom is cumulative. Continuous lower frequency sounds over time do too.
I speak from experience. Between gunfire and line noise in aerospace I have lost ~80%of my high freq. hearing with some lesser degree in mid and low ranges. A conversation between two deaf people with background noise is an exercise in confusion for both parties. You don't realize how much you have lost until you get hearing aids, and good ones ain't cheap. e.g. The hearing aids that the Big B* gave me thru L&I are the second from top level of technology, and MSRP is ~ $7K. They pack more computing power than the Apollo Moon Mission had in 1969 into 2 units about the size of fava beans with tiny inserts on thin wires. They are indeed a miracle of modern technology, but they don't do anything about tinitis.
Unless it's to save me &/or mine I will not expose what hearing I have left to gunfire without hearing protection. I have mouse ears right next to the home protection halberd so if any shots e fired I might still be able to hear something.
My whole point is PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE protect your hearing to the maximum extent possible under the circumstances. No technology is as good as what you started with (unless, of course, it was FUBAR then :D).

* Thanks to them for their generosity. They didn't have to get me that level of quality.

Hearing loss would be the last thing I am worried about if in a pursuit with guys shooting an AK at me. I too have trained on shooting through windshields and other glass to understand deflection and how the glass reacts, and how you have to group up shots.

I think unless we are able to see how the shots from the car are accounted for in forensics, we may be prejudging the Vegas officer and the other officer. I just heard part of a pursuit in Bend a little bit ago, (before they killed the feed) and got reliable second hand info that they were in a pursuit, pitted the guy out and he decided to try and run over some officers. That did not end well for the runner and rightly so.

Biology is a strange, but cool thing. Our bodies react to real stress vs induced in a different way - you get auditory exclusion with the real deal. The sense of time slowing or speeding up. Super human strength in some occasions. Crazy stuff!

This is when the training takes hold. It becomes a conditioned response based upon what you have trained for. That time slowing down thing I experienced during a near lethal encounter and was pretty glad I had spent all that time training. My reaction was text book and effective. Makes you feel a lot better when it is over.

I looked at a few other links for this. Can't find anything different.
Cleared by Internal Affairs, but charged by a Grand Jury.

They must have a city council led by Jo Ann Hardesty's sister. :mad:

Awhile back, while at the my outdoor range, I forgot to re-install my in ear plugs and range muffs over them.

My ears needed a rest from them while I reloaded, put up some new targets, drank some water, etc.

Now, ready to shoot again, but I was so comfortable I forgot I was ear 'nekkid'.

I shot once (9mm) and was, of course, immediately deafened.

Remember, I was outdoors.

Shooting a pistol or rifle in a vehicle?

Tinnitus here I come...or deafened indefinitely...
EXACTLY!... I have Tinnitus for this exact reason. IOne shotgun burst from inside my vehicle by my partner and it's a reminder daily "Don't do that"..;)

Last Edited:
Biology is a strange, but cool thing. Our bodies react to real stress vs induced in a different way - you get auditory exclusion with the real deal. The sense of time slowing or speeding up. Super human strength in some occasions. Crazy stuff!
Auditory exclusion is a real phenomenon, just as the other things you've mentioned are.

However, AE doesn't prevent the permanent physical damage occurring inside the ear... tiny hairs, fragile bones, the ear drum itself. I'm lucky that I can hear anything at all.

Auditory exclusion is a real phenomenon, just as the other things you've mentioned are.

However, AE doesn't prevent the permanent physical damage occurring inside the ear... tiny hairs, fragile bones, the ear drum itself. I'm lucky that I can hear anything at all.
Yup!
I once shot a nice forked horn. He was close (15-20yds) and I literally knocked him off of his hooves. I stepped up to him and since he was still breathing, I shot him in the neck. DAMN! That was loud and my ears rang for the rest of the day! I was completely caught off guard at the sound. I'd barely heard the rifle when I shot him the first time...

Fortunately it takes a lot to do real damage. When I was young it was common to have people all around who fought in WWII and Korea. Most of them could hear fine and when they were serving there was no such thing as hearing protection. A lot of them touched off a hell of a lot of rounds, often in small spaces.

As I sit here in silence reading this, I have a slight ringing going on. I attribute it to a few trips on jet airlines. After one trip is when I really started noticing it. That must have been about '96.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top