JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was born an Air Force brat, so I've always been in the system. ID cards for military spouses and offspring carry thumb prints. Or at least used to. But not full ten-finger prints like Oregon CHPs.
I've got you beat...I interned for the US Army Corps of Engineers in high school and they took laser scans of my prints and sent them to the CIA to do, what I was told, a "very very thorough" background check. I assume they kept those prints

I think there was a guy (in Portland?) who was charged with something based on a fingerprint that was too close. Something it turned out he couldn't possibly have done. A few years ago. Anyone remember the case?

Actually, fingerprint evidence meant a lot more when they were only being compared to other suspects or other people in the region. Not to every finger print on record in the world. And its a matter of subjective interpretation as to whether two prints are similar enough to be considered the same. I think there will be a serious scientific study one of these years, and we will end up deciding that finger print evidence is now being over interpreted in the direction of convicting innocents. As has already been shown with eye witness testimony. Too many men have been convicted of rapes or murders and served decades, and their DNA turned out to be totally different from the the DNA left on/in the victim. And usually they were convicted on eye witness testimony.
Eye witnesses are almost as unreliable as political honesty.
This is one of the best examples I can think of to illustrate how backwards human beings are when they all decide something is working just fine, no matter how unscientific it is.

Flat earthers are alive and well.

If you are doing a transfer in Oregon I wouldn't be too worried about it. You will have a record of the transfer as will the FFL. Also if your prints are on it so are the clerks who handled the transfer at the FFL. They would be in the same boat. Unless you sold it to someone close to you and they used the firearm on someone you also knew, it seems unlikely the police would spend much time pursuing you as a suspect.
True that. But as y'all know, not all weapons need an FFL.

I'm not particularly "worried" as much as I am wondering if anyone shares the insanity. :)

Just don't splooge on it before selling, and you'll be OK. :s0170:
Last time I went to the doctor, he said "we haven't seen you in 5 years at least, so I'd like to do a thorough physical with blood work. You're probably going to be here a while, as we're going to need a blood, urine, stool and a semen sample "

I dropped my boxers on the floor, hauled my pants up commando style and said " all you need is right there, see you in 5 years. "

On a side not how about all the guns you handle in a gun shop and don't buy? Unless you're one of those weirdos who walk around with 2 masks on and latex gloves as cover….. lol
Hypothetically...could possibly have been somewhere long ago where an third party acquaintance was showing some guns off and offering to hand them round for a better look. Hypothetically might have declined because did not want my finger prints on anything in this guys collection. Not implying anything was illegal, just kinda creeped me out. So if you are paranoid, then (hypothetically) so am I. :cool:
Good point on the gun shop.

Last time I went to the doctor, he said "we haven't seen you in 5 years at least, so I'd like to do a thorough physical with blood work. You're probably going to be here a while, as we're going to need a blood, urine, stool and a semen sample "

I dropped my boxers on the floor, hauled my pants up commando style and said " all you need is right there, see you in 5 years. "

There are a number of ways to classify fingerprints. In law enforcement, judicial proceedings , etc, Identification of specific features on fingerprints is what is used and called Points of Identifications. An examiner checks out the print, looking for specific features, etc in a print. The more points that are found increases the uniqueness of the fingerprint and reduces the possibility of duplication. On T and major trials the print will be enlarged to at least 2'x3'. On the border there is a symbol representing the feature, with a line drawn to the feature itself. An examiner will use specific features, ridges, valleys, loops, whorls to classification the print. This part ends up looking like a high school algebra formula.

Remember that private firearm sales "require" a background check. That is your get out of jail free card.

-E-
FWIW, 28 states do not require BGC for private party transfers. Each state varies, obviously, but I can tell you that in AZ, for example, all that is required is the buyer state he or she is not a prohibited person as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 922(g) and is of legal age. The law in AZ puts the onus on the buyer to truthfully represent their legal bona fides and makes it a felony to knowingly purchase a firearm under false pretenses. Lawyers will tell you to get that in writing and also get a copy of a valid ID for C.Y.A. purposes. There are several websites that will sell you a downloadable form for a nominal fee and has boxes to fill out for pertinent details (s/n, date of sale, price of sale, etc). I've sold several firearms this way in AZ and have a folder on my computer with hard copy backups in my safety deposit box just in case. Never had anything come back to me... yet. Knock wood.

lol. Allow me to spill my thoughts onto e-paper as I prep some guns-n-ammo for sale.

I'm standing here, watching TV, wiping down bullets and bang-toys thinking...
Well, I sure don't want this to show up at some crime-scene later with any of my biology [fingerprints, dna, skin etc.] on it!

Then I chuckled. Silly me.

A few seconds later thinking about it, maybe doing so could save me a lot of heart-ache.

So, am I just paranoid?
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top