JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
But are any of you guys pilots?

I am seriously considering getting my private pilots license and would love to pick someones brain about various things. I figure if someone here is then our love for flying and our love of guns would overlap.

Here I thought the question would have been about a boil or a wart. :D

Never was a pilot. Considered it until I saw the cost. Might as well toss a bunch of hundreds into the fire. :eek:

What can I help you with? Basic Licence or Recreational? More advanced? Navigation? Building Kits or Experimental s? Inspections and certifications? Ask Away!:D:D:D

My game plane right now is PPL then start working towards making flying my job. Granted I'm 30 so its probably too late to become a commercial pilot for an airline. But that would be the preferred end game

You will have to go off shore to get any kind of commercial flying job and will need to be at if for a very long time before you could ever have a chance at the big leagues!
There are several island jobs in the South Pacific run by an Indian Company and they will take on nubes if they think they can hack it, and they will train you up and get you lots of flying experience in a dangerous area doing dangerous flying, but it will make you or break you, and is sort of an insiders tip to the big time flying jobs!

Best advice it to start small, and find out if it's your thing or not! A lot of folks spend the time and hard earned money to find out it scares the begebizus out of them and they are then out all that cash, others find out a medical grounded them, dashing the dreams! Not to poor cold water on your dreams, but I would be remiss for not pointing the downers. SO........Not that that's done, where would you like to start?

You will have to go off shore to get any kind of commercial flying job and will need to be at if for a very long time before you could ever have a chance at the big leagues!
There are several island jobs in the South Pacific run by an Indian Company and they will take on nubes if they think they can hack it, and they will train you up and get you lots of flying experience in a dangerous area doing dangerous flying, but it will make you or break you, and is sort of an insiders tip to the big time flying jobs!

Best advice it to start small, and find out if it's your thing or not! A lot of folks spend the time and hard earned money to find out it scares the begebizus out of them and they are then out all that cash, others find out a medical grounded them, dashing the dreams! Not to poor cold water on your dreams, but I would be remiss for not pointing the downers. SO........Not that that's done, where would you like to start?

alright. That sucks but if it is the way it is then it is the way it is. How familiar are you with mid valley flight schools and flying clubs? Any you would recommend? Any I should avoid?

Also what certifications do you hold? Where did you get trained?

I was a licensed private pilot, that was just about 30 years ago. I suspect some things have changed a bit since then, though the basics have probably never changed.

I trained at a local field in Aurora, trained by a former Navy F4 pilot. I loved flying, but it was so darned expensive, I just couldn't keep it up. My instructor said if I ever wanted to fly for a living (I did at the time) the military was really the only way to get the certs and the hours, unless you're rich. He eventually left and was hired as a co-pilot for a cargo company.

One of my best friends brother n law was/is an air force pilot and was looking into commercial flying but decided to reinlist.

But even with his hundreds of hours of flight time in a fighter jet, he had plenty of people to compete with for civilian jobs.

So would you say jumping out of a perfectly good plane is a good way to get the feet wet? o_O
heck yea, I did 2759 jumps from just about every thing that flys and some that shouldn't but do. I have jumped over water with and with out a 'Chute and have had to land on the deck of a moving ship in the dark with no light and no sound. Does it lead to successful flying? Not really, but it sure gets you used to what to expect when things go wrong and you gotta get out!!!:):):) ever wanna jump, lemme know, though I'm a BAD EXAMPLE:p:p:p

heck yea, I did 2759 jumps from just about every thing that flys and some that shouldn't but do. I have jumped over water with and with out a 'Chute and have had to land on the deck of a moving ship in the dark with no light and no sound. Does it lead to successful flying? Not really, but it sure gets you used to what to expect when things go wrong and you gotta get out!!!:):):) ever wanna jump, lemme know, though I'm a BAD EXAMPLE:p:p:p
Wish I could jump.

Tbh you'd think it a person can jump, they won't be aftaid to fly.

I have actually been thinking about getting back into flying. With my work, being able to fly to some regional airports would be really efficient. I started down the path years ago and ran out of $ to finish. I am now done raising a family and have a little more time and money than I used to... If anyone else in the area either is a pilot, or working on getting their ticket, let me know.

Not yet and possibly never will be, but... look at joining AOPA. Great selection of student resources there.

Maybe go Light Sport as a warmup to get some hours while you work up--LSA is the "Driver's License Medical" option where you don't have to have your nethers violated by a rubber-gloved pervert.

Dammit guys. Stay focused lol

IMG_4451.JPG IMG_4453.JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews